Building a LR308

Discussion in 'Rifles' started by jkattchee, Mar 3, 2017.

1. jkattchee

jkattchee New Member

Mar 3, 2017
    In the spirited words of Jonny Lieberman, Hi there!

I am new to the forum and the whole building an AR thing, I've done plenty of reading over the past couple of months so I think I know what I need to to get by, but time will tell.

I am going to post the parts I plan to use to build, any input/advice and thoughts would be nice since I am new to this (next post). The list is not set in stone, I am always looking around to see if there is a better option.

I will say there is no use in trying to move me away from an AR10/LR308, that is the one thing I am dead set on.

I will start building this summer (2017) once I get the time and money to do so.

And to answer your question, I am building the gun as a weekend warrior/range gun/hunting rifle and because I am bored and want something to build, seeing as I have finished rebuilding my 1971 Honda motorcycle (CB450). Also I just like how the AR looks.

2. BRD@66

BRD@66 TGT Addict

Jan 23, 2014
    Liberty Hill
    Welcome to TGT

3. Davetex

Davetex TGT Addict

Mar 27, 2010
    Pflugerville
    Welcome

4. BigBoss0311

BigBoss0311 Well-Known

Mar 8, 2010
    McKinney, TX
    For the price, Palmetto State Armory PA10. Buy upper on sale, buy lower on sale, put together and go shoot.

5. jkattchee

jkattchee New Member

Mar 3, 2017
    Alright, sorry for the delay but this is my current buildlist, I'm listing major parts, not the nuisances.
    -Upper+Lower: One of these three, leaning towards the ATX set.
    JTAC set
    ATXArmory set
    Mega set
    -Upper Parts:
    CMMG 18" barrel and Mk3 BCG
    Fortis Switch 15" rail (MLOK)
    Precision Armament M4-72 break
    -Lower Parts:
    MOE Rifle Stock (Im open to other options so long as they arent PRS priced)
    Timney Targa 2 stage trigger
    Magpul pistol grip

6. jkattchee

jkattchee New Member

Mar 3, 2017
    Also, for those who read through the list, I like the CMMG barrel, but I'd like an 20" barrel, which CMMG does not seem to make. Suggestions?

7. outdare

outdare Well-Known TGT Supporter

Jul 24, 2009
    Houston
    CMMG makes a 18" rifle gassed barrel. You won't loose much using it. This is the barrel I used in my build.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

8. outdare

outdare Well-Known TGT Supporter

Jul 24, 2009
    Houston
    From my experience go look at the psa rifle. It is easier to modify than to build and work out the bugs. The PSA rifle are sub 800's now complete.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

9. jkattchee

jkattchee New Member

Mar 3, 2017
    I am currently planning to use the CMMG 18" barrel. I just like the idea of having a 20", though I'll probably stick with the 18" CMMG for mobility and weight and whatnot.

10. jkattchee

jkattchee New Member

Mar 3, 2017
    I am not saying PSA does not make good stuff, but I wasn't planning on using any of their stuff, so it would be an unnecessary for me to get one in the first place. But the biggest thing is that I want the actual build experience, not build and modify.