• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Lonesome Dove

A man of vision but with no mission.
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 25, 2018
    Cut n Shoot, Texas
    Gonna build a patio using treated lumber but want to paint the structure. If you've painted treated lumber how long did you let it dry out before doing so?
    Texas SOT

Polkwright

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2021
    Houston, TX
    It depends somewhat on how long a period of time there is between the treatment plant and installation. Sometimes when lumber is scarce it comes pretty wet. I'd wait a year, pressure wash it, and let it dry a few days.

But if it readily absorbs water, it's ready to paint.

G O B

School of Hard Knocks and Sharp blows
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 9, 2017
    Hays Co.
    I used a product called 'deck over'. Since I built it in summer, it only took a couple days for the lumber to dry. I am happy with the results, deck and steps are holding up after 3 years. I will need to redo this year or next, but for CenTex weather that is damned good.

Polkwright

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2021
    Houston, TX
    Did I mention, Fuk lumber is high!
    I knew it was happening but it didn't hit me until I did another price out for my job. $900 more than the pre Covid era.

Yeah! I know of several postponed deck projects. But what I don't quite get: house prices are up because of lack of supply. What happens when the homebuilders come back into the market?

boomgoesthedynamite

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 29, 2013
    Sachse (NE DFW)
    I knew it was happening but it didn't hit me until I did another price out for my job. $900 more than the pre Covid era.
    Lumber prices are up over 180% since March '20. At least lumber is available again, but yeah. I read a report saying that cost of new house construction is $40k higher on average just due to materials.

Sent from my GM1900 using Tapatalk

Dougw1515

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 14, 2020
    USA
    I saw on a news report on TV that in the last 12 months the price of lumber has increased "... over 250%" The graphic on the screen stated 262%. Bought two 2"x4"x 8' pressure treated sticks yesterday final cost was $18.99 - for 2 fuckin' 2x4's.

I'm working a house and a 12'x20' building in the back yard installing hardie fascia/soffit/siding thankfully the huge price increase has hit only lumber/wood products. The building in the back yard had 3/4" T-111 siding, which I had to remove. Then I replaced it with 1/2" sheathing. The way this building is built the bottom is prone to holding moisture and rotting so I ripped sheets of 1/2" pressure treated ply to address that issue. The standard 4'x8'x1/2" sheathing was $41.00 per sheet. The pressure treated panel rang the bell at $49.00 per.

candcallen

Crotchety, Snarky, Truthful. You'll get over it.
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 23, 2011
    Little Elm
    Yep, I had a fence I was gonna replace that the materials tripled in price on in 9 months. So it got minimal repairs till lumber comes down.

Cedar for an awning is stratosphericly high. I think gold might be cheaper. Lol

Darkpriest667

Actually Attends
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 13, 2017
    Jarrell TX, United States
    Yeah! I know of several postponed deck projects. But what I don't quite get: house prices are up because of lack of supply. What happens when the homebuilders come back into the market?

They are in the market, they cannot build fast enough to satisfy the demand. In CenTex (austin area mostly) 500 people a DAY are moving here. You think they are putting up 250 houses a day in Austin area? Nope. They are building as fast as they can. Hell in Jarrell which is 45 miles north of the Austin city limits They are building 10 THOUSAND houses.

That's why the price of lumber is so high.

HKaltwasser

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    I saw on a news report on TV that in the last 12 months the price of lumber has increased "... over 250%" The graphic on the screen stated 262%. Bought two 2"x4"x 8' pressure treated sticks yesterday final cost was $18.99 - for 2 fuckin' 2x4's.

I'm working a house and a 12'x20' building in the back yard installing hardie fascia/soffit/siding thankfully the huge price increase has hit only lumber/wood products. The building in the back yard had 3/4" T-111 siding, which I had to remove. Then I replaced it with 1/2" sheathing. The way this building is built the bottom is prone to holding moisture and rotting so I ripped sheets of 1/2" pressure treated ply to address that issue. The standard 4'x8'x1/2" sheathing was $41.00 per sheet. The pressure treated panel rang the bell at $49.00 per.
    Yep OSB has gotten ridiculous. I've noticed that even Hardie products have gone up as well, not quite as much as lumber.

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    They are in the market, they cannot build fast enough to satisfy the demand. In CenTex (austin area mostly) 500 people a DAY are moving here. You think they are putting up 250 houses a day in Austin area? Nope. They are building as fast as they can. Hell in Jarrell which is 45 miles north of the Austin city limits They are building 10 THOUSAND houses.

That's why the price of lumber is so high.

That's not the reason at all.

They were building like that long before covid was a thing.

This huge price increase isn't because of one market. A market that has been huge for 20 years already.

This price increase is nationwide. How do you explain a price increase in the areas where there is a housing surplus because everyone is leaving?

This comes down to using Covid as an excuse to claim diminished supply and good old fashioned greed.

Darkpriest667

Actually Attends
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 13, 2017
    Jarrell TX, United States
    That's not the reason at all.

They were building like that long before covid was a thing.

This huge price increase isn't because of one market. A market that has been huge for 20 years already.

This price increase is nationwide. How do you explain a price increase in the areas where there is a housing surplus because everyone is leaving?

This comes down to using Covid as an excuse to claim diminished supply and good old fashioned greed.

Where were you in april/may 2020? Almost 100% of manufacturing and raw materials suppliers were offline for almost 60 days. Do you understand how much that damages the logistics of the supply chain or are you just being obtuse on purpose.

In the industry I work in EVERY. SINGLE. ITEM. is backlogged at least 30 days.

I imagine building a house is even worse as some of those items take much longer to produce.

1617631026779.png

bbbass

Looking Up!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 2, 2020
    NE Orygun
    I needed a 6' pressure treated 4x4 to replace a gate post in my backyard on Saturday... I galv fence post was cheaper.

Trex might be looking very cost effective now.

candcallen

Crotchety, Snarky, Truthful. You'll get over it.
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 23, 2011
    Little Elm
    I'm building a small L shaped fence to screen trash cans. The materials were nearly 400 dollars for a 6ft high 4x8 foot board on board fence with a top cap. I bought pre stained wood that looks like the western red cedar stuff. The western red cedar 1/2 inch by 6 inch by 6 feet pickets were nearly 4 bucks each.

The 8 foot pressure treated 2x6s were 12 bucks each.

Imagine the cost of 60 to 90 feet of fence. I will not pay that right now.

Top Bottom