Building an AK vs buying an AK. Educate me please?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jakashh

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 30, 2010
    Sugar Land
    Ever since I sold my WASR, I've missed the AK platform. At first, I didn't, because I had my AR, but then as time went on, every time I saw pics of other peoples AK's, i've yearned for one, often forgetting that I used to have one myself lol.

So after seeing peoples custom builds, which looked way more authentic with the mag well dimples on the receiver (compared to the WASR which has none), I figured that building one MIGHT be an option.

However, I know nothing of building one, and barely remember the rules about 922r. I know Nalioth used to host build parties, but I haven't heard from him in ages.

So without further ado, here are these parts kits without barrels, but you probably have to do that 922r crap with 6 US made parts.

AK47 Polish Folder Kit De Mil

We just stumbled across a incredibly rare find !!! AK47 Parts kit , 762 x 39 , these were made in the Russian Tula Arsenal and then transferred to Bulgaria where they sat in storage for several years . The kits are rated in NRA very good to excellent

AK47 Parts Kit Romanian

Polish Tantal WZ.88 Parts Kit with Side Folding Stock

Bulgarian AK74 Parts Kits Poly INC

Otherwise, I have these choices, but you never know if they'll be there, or if I can even afford them in a few years lol. I hope to get or make an AK in 2012.

RPK Squad Rifle 762 x 39 Rifle AES 10B

AK47 Rifle AKM2 Polish Underfolder

GP WASR-10 Underfolder Rifle, Cal. 7.62x39mm

Any info, knowledge, suggestions for someone with a clean slate on this subject? (where to get receivers, barrels, rules to comply, people to help me build? If I were to build, I'd definitely want to build this with the guidance of someone else lol. I don't have the tools or work area/knowledge/skill to take on something like this by myself.)

Thanks!

Jakashh

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 30, 2010
    Sugar Land
    I'm looking to save money. I'll add that on the post. I know that in many cases I'll end up spending as much as if I had just bought new, but the satisfaction of building it yourself is just awesome. Can you sell AK's that you built yourself?

country_boy

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    Round Rock
    Unless you know of a build party, you'll spend more money building vs. buying. If your building more than two would justify the tools. Building is for collecting purposes only(meaning you cant build one then sell it right afterwards) You need a ffl license for that.

Any import rifle must be 922 compliant. If you bought a saiga in sporterized stock config you dont need to make it 922. Trigger group counts as 3 change out the pistol grip 1 gas piston 1 you get the idea.. Id just buy a wasr if you want it to go bang or convert a saiga.

Jakashh

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 30, 2010
    Sugar Land
    Unless you know of a build party, you'll spend more money building vs. buying. If your building more than two would justify the tools. Building is for collecting purposes only(meaning you cant build one then sell it right afterwards) You need a ffl license for that.

Any import rifle must be 922 compliant. If you bought a saiga in sporterized stock config you dont need to make it 922. Trigger group counts as 3 change out the pistol grip 1 gas piston 1 you get the idea.. Id just buy a wasr if you want it to go bang or convert a saiga.

Are there special tools I would need just for this? If so, what?

And the not being able to sell it seems like a slight con... except for the part that you'd have an excuse not to give it up lol.

I just heard from another member that you can sell it if it has a serialized receiver.

Still a little confused on the import part. So if I build it myself from a parts kit and serialized receiver, it still has to be 922r compliant?

country_boy

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    Round Rock
    Yes because its a import rifle and needs to have us parts in it.

Section 922(r) Parts Count

Buy a ak receiver from nodak spud. You need a rivet tool for the trunnions, trigger guard rivet tool, barrel press kit, a shop press the 12 ton works but, I have a 20 tonner. You can do a screw build, Im sure Ramon will add more input. I havent done a screw build.

hkusp1

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 25, 2009
    DALLAS, TX
    Building an ak requires a few special tools. Jim roberts with jbi armory is an ak builder and a decent dude, he built my psl and did a great job on it. You can do a screw build but it's not advisable because the screws can shear off or come loose. Talk to destroyer he just built one.

Jakashh

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 30, 2010
    Sugar Land
    I bet they charge a lot though, but that's what I heard from a guy on TexasGunForum, IIRC. I may be wrong though.

I will have help on here from a fellow member in the area with tools and knowledge though if I decide to go this route.

Steve M

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 18, 2011
    Central Texas
    The old days of building from a kit being the least expensive way are over. The new demil standards (no intact barrels) have pretty much killed that party.

Buying a complete rifle is possible, but can be expensive too and you don't get the satisfaction of doing it yourself.

The middle ground, the same route taken by that $2000+ AK scap99 is lusting over, is to take a $319 Saiga rifle and customize it. The Saigas are hands down the best value in the AK market today, and they can be converted from "sporter" configuration with simple tools. Saigas are new Russian factory-built rifles with cold hammer forged chrome lined barrels so you avoid all the problems with US barrels and US remanufacturers (Century et al).

Best deal I know of on Saigas (and they price match if you find lower): Armsofamerica.com

Jakashh

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 30, 2010
    Sugar Land
    The old days of building from a kit being the least expensive way are over. The new demil standards (no intact barrels) have pretty much killed that party.

Buying a complete rifle is possible, but can be expensive too and you don't get the satisfaction of doing it yourself.

The middle ground, the same route taken by that $2000+ AK scap99 is lusting over, is to take a $319 Saiga rifle and customize it. The Saigas are hands down the best value in the AK market today, and they can be converted from "sporter" configuration with simple tools. Saigas are new Russian factory-built rifles with cold hammer forged chrome lined barrels so you avoid all the problems with US barrels and US remanufacturers (Century et al).

Best deal I know of on Saigas (and they price match if you find lower): Armsofamerica.com

The thing with saigas is that I want it to look like a genuine AK, and not just a correctly positioned FCG and pistol grip with a normal saiga or tapco forend. I want true wooden furniture and AK handguards and all.

I don't like saiga conversions that look like this

saiga_rifle_conversion_2.21134451_std.jpg

Jakashh

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 30, 2010
    Sugar Land
    No I wont, not if I know people with the tools

And I just realized that I won't be 21 till August, so how the hell am I going to get an AK receiver in time to build this in the summer like I plan to??? Anyone have a leftover they might wanna sell me private sale if I decide to go this route?

Jakashh

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 30, 2010
    Sugar Land
    But then you can't sell it, right? I want something that i can sell. What is the process/difficulty/tools needed to bend your own flat? I'd rather get a pre bent receiver.

Rentz

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 30, 2011
    Dfw
    Building an ak requires a few special tools. Jim roberts with jbi armory is an ak builder and a decent dude, he built my psl and did a great job on it. You can do a screw build but it's not advisable because the screws can shear off or come loose. Talk to destroyer he just built one.

this is who i was going to mention, seen his work over on the texashuntingforum and read good feedback

codygjohnson

Eats breakfast everyday
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    Flower Mound
    You can buy a receiver at 18. Nodak Spud is what all of my builds have been based on. I've got another SBR build about to start. If you feel like blowing a Saturday up in DFW, you can use my shop and AK tools to do it.

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Staff online

• Vaquero
      Moving stuff to the gas prices thread.....

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    GiantLoomis
    Top Bottom