• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rebel

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 20, 2014
    Goddamnit, I think my biggest "Seller's Remorse" was a Sharps rifle. I essentially traded it for a LeMat.

LeMat is one of those guns that's really cool on paper and terrible to own.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    I sold a Pedersoli Sharps replica. Falling block in 45-70 with octagon barrel and set trigger. 1874 IIRC.

Bought for $800, sold for $500, last I looked the prices had gone through the roof and replacement wasn't an option. It was an awesome gun and I really miss it. The cost of being young and dumb I guess.

Rebel

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 20, 2014
    Yeah... I bought mine, owned it for about an hour, then saw the LeMat (Cav model, repro). Buddy of mine wanted the Sharps but didn't have the cash, so I floated him a few hundred and kept the LeMat.

About a year later he ended up selling it and offered me first refusal... at $200 more than what "we" paid for it. It's good to have friends.

The LeMat is really cool to shoot. Nine rounds of .44 and a 20 gauge shotgun barrel to boot... But when it's loaded, that sucker is 5 pounds of steel, wood, lead and powder. Taking it apart to clean it is a nightmare... Intricate little bastard.

ed308

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    DFW
    So many AR calibers to consider these days. 7.62x39, 300BO and the 6.5 Grendel cause the most headaches. I thought about building a 7.62x39 AR but changed my mind due to the potential headaches getting it to run. Take a look at the .277 Wolverine if you reload. Cheap to reload and shoot since it uses 5.56 brass and 6.8 bullets (ie: 85 to 120gr 277 bullets). And blows away the 7.62x39 and BO IMO.

A 270AR build may be in my future. Light weight hunting AR.

texas skeeter

TGT Addict
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Mar 12, 2010
    Somewhere here nor there....
    L'dMAO at both posts above. Salty YES Iam still going to finish my AR47. :laughing: But during Spring, Summer and Fall We travel, play paintball, jetski etc. My gun hobbies and builds are done in the winter when you can't do Sh-t here in Texas. LOL Right now is Paintball season. :machine:

image_zpsaa670ee0.jpg

Last edited:

duckknot

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 26, 2013
    Leander, TX
    L'dMAO at both posts above. Salty YES Iam still going to finish my AR47. :laughing: But during Spring, Summer and Fall We travel, play paintball, jetski etc. My gun hobbies and builds are done in the winter when you can't do Sh-t here in Texas. LOL Right now is Paintball season. :machine:

image_zpsaa670ee0.jpg
    Where y'all play? I played tournament paintball in college.....I miss it but definitely don't miss the price tag ;)

sent from wait...where am I!?

texas skeeter

TGT Addict
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Mar 12, 2010
    Somewhere here nor there....
    We play at DFW Adventure Park near Texas Motor Speedway just north of Ft Worth. I literally have 20 cases of paint left over from Dallas PSP 2015 this past march. If you want to come play I have plenty of paint for ya. It would cost just 20$ for entry fee. LMK...

jiannichan

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 26, 2008
    Little Elm/Frisco
    I have a DPMS 7.62x39 upper that I bought recently. Haven't shot it yet. I need to assemble the lower for it. Work has been consuming most of my time so I haven't been able to take any of my guns out shooting in a while.

RetArmySgt

Glad to be back.
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 14, 2009
    College Station
    I have a 7.62x39 AR with a 7.5" barrel. Only problems I have with it are mags. The springs are too weak to consistently feed the last couple rounds in the mag. Some times it will feed the all other it wont feed the last one or last two. And I got the mags that are considered to be the best brand for 7.62x39 ARs

RipGear

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 27, 2014
    Missouri City, TX
    I have a 7.62x39 AR with a 7.5" barrel. Only problems I have with it are mags. The springs are too weak to consistently feed the last couple rounds in the mag. Some times it will feed the all other it wont feed the last one or last two. And I got the mags that are considered to be the best brand for 7.62x39 ARs

Which brand mags? Also, is your 7.5" upper a PWS Diablo? I'm looking into building an SBR 7.62x39.

TX69

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 23, 2012
    DFW

I think Wolff offers plus +10% power mag springs for those mags.

ETA: They call it XP etra Power now instead of a percentage.

Tried to copy and paste the specs but Wolff has that blocked.

Last edited:

Saltyag2010

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 11, 2014
    Flour Bluff, America

ASC Mags? I run them in my 5.45 upper and the only bad mag I've had was C Products I have other C Products mags and they work fine.

rushthezeppelin

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 28, 2012
    Cedar Park
    An AK has more of a story behind it, but a .300 BLK is not necessarily all it's cracked up to be. Just look at it's ballistics profile and you can see where it falls short. It's also costly to fire, as it requires more than just a barrel swap to work.

I think the reason a 7.62x39 is a bad choice in 2015 for any platform, is because the cartridge itself. It doesn't have anything to do with what platform the round is being thrown through, but rather what does matter is that the round has just outlived it's relative effective lifespan and more current rounds have surpassed it.

Personally, I think that unless you're an operator firing suppressed or you just don't care about over penatration, then a .300 BLK is a novelty round that's filling a VERY small niche at a high cost and a lot of guys have jumped on that bandwagon for no reason other than curiosity and keeping up with the Jones'. After all it's a .30cal, 200+gr round, with only about 500 ft./lbs muzzle energy that needs either a short gas system or a suppressor to cycle properly, as well as a barrel swap.

IF there was any reason to actually build an AR in anything but .223 or .308, I would suggest a Sharps 25-45. The 25-45 cycles with any AR15 .223/5.56 factory gas system and carrier group, as well as fits standard magazines. All you need is a Sharps 25-45 barrel. Rounds vary, but 87gr soft points are around $1.10 - $1.28/rd and they deliver much much better ballistics over a 7.62x39, 5.56, and .300 BLK, being perfectly designed for hunting. That 87gr bullet flies at 3,000fps and leaves the barrel with 1,700 ft/lbs of energy.

...in fact...a Sharp 25-45 AR build just jumped to the top of my list. :m16:

....where to start.

First of all it does only require a barrel swap to work assuming the barrel has the right size gas port for the configuration and is either pistol or carbine length. Even subs unsuppressed are easily doable with either config.

Second of all there are other uses than simply subsonic suppressed range fun. There are a decent smattering of lighter 30 cal rounds that will expand 200-300yds downrange with sufficient force to take out any animal in TX (besides maybe the rare bears up in the N). There are even a few bullets that will expand at subsonic velocities but you have to know your bullet drop and range very well. Quite a few people are getting into the quiet game as sort of an alternative to bow or pistol hunting, more of a challenge because of the range limitations. Also another BIG plus about the caliber is it still can retain good ballistics and cycle reliably with VERY short barrels so it makes a great alternative to smaller pistol caliber carbines which is handy for HD depending on how your home is laid out (also keeps the package reasonably smaller when using a can).

If others have different experience let me know. I'm always open to cheaper options I may not know about.

You can always go much cheaper with cast and powder coated bullets. The nice thing too with this is you can take heavy subs and put deep hollow points in em (forester HP jig) and they are pretty devastating on game (the trick is knowing your bullet drop and using a range finder).

There are even a few companies that are starting to sell PCed/Hi-tek coated heavy 30 cals for sub use.
    Leatherhead Bullets LLC.
    30 cal - BIG SARGE'S  POWDER COAT   BULLETS
    30 Caliber 123gn Zombie13 Coated Qty of 500 - $36.00 : Lucky13 Cast Bullets LLC
    Palmetto Proejctiles, Jacketed Performance at Cast Prices ? Palmetto Projectiles

Just make sure to always request them sizing between .311-.312

Top Bottom