Join TexasGunTalk

Bump stock hearing.

Discussion in 'Gun Legislation' started by saltwater_therapy, Mar 7, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. koddc

koddc New Member

Jul 15, 2009
    houston deep n/w
    first of all, we DO NOT have to go to the ATF office. by their own statement, you can turn it in OR destroy it. IF this STUPID ruling actually becomes law I have the choice to destroy my slide fire stock , AT MY OWN LEISURE AT MY OWN HOME. i would not turn it in case this whole fiasco gets overturned.

to the GOA and NRA: PLEASE demand the truth,
    #1. to say the slide fire stock is a machine gun is a BOLD FACE LIE !
    #2. to turn in private property without compensation is AGAINST THE CONSTITUTION !
    ( illegal search and seizure )

i do not want to be criminalized for the actions of that LAS VEGAS psycho.

EZ-E likes this.
  2. Shady

Shady Well-Known

Aug 24, 2013
    Unless a injunction happens being found in possession of a functional bumpstock no matter where you are as of 3/26/19 you can be charged as a felon

3. benenglish

benenglish Lifetime Supporter Staff Member Lifetime Member Admin

Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    Understood and agreed.

However, if you want to get a receipt (not guaranteed but it's worth a try) so that you preserve to yourself a cause of action in the future (if the ban is overturned), then turning it in at the ATF field office is the smart way to proceed.

I fully expect that 99.9% of owners are not thinking about it the way I am. Some will hide it away, some will throw it away, and some will destroy it. Personally, I don't care about the piece of plastic; I care about preserving my standing in future legal actions.

4. benenglish

Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    Well, the Court of Appeals for the DC Circuit has issued an order. The order requires that
    WTF is up with that? They've literally ruled that the stay only applies to the named Appellants, not to everybody. So, if you're not a member of one of the groups that was already a part of the action, you still have to turn in/destroy/whatever your bump stock by next Tuesday.

This is the same thing that happened in the Utah case where the court granted a stay on the bump stock rule to literally just one man, the one who brought the action. I've read several pieces where the authors are taking particular note of the novelty of issuing orders so limited in scope. It's apparently just not normal for a court to order that a particular law/ruling/regulation is not to be applied to the person in the court...but it's OK to go ahead and lock up everybody else.

Two observations:
    • I wish we had a lawyer around here who could explain to me how the courts justify issuing these orders so narrowly, and
    • I think that when the people who run Florida Carry and the Madison Society Foundation get up in the morning, they're going to be surprised to find how many thousands more members they've gotten over the weekend.
    Apparently the lawyers working on the side of the Angels recognized the injustice of limiting the order in this fashion and they immediately filed an Emergency Joint Motion to Modify Stay Order.

Since I'm a member of both Florida Carry and the Madison Society Foundation, no matter what happens with this latest filing I don't have to trudge down to the ATF field office and turn in my bump stock on Monday.

The legal battle continues.

deemus and toddnjoyce like this.
  5. Shady

Shady Well-Known

Aug 24, 2013
    I believe Florida Carry dropped its suit due to them saying the suit they filed had to do with the acting AG not be the real AG so had no authority to do it but there is so much crap about it I may have mixed up the group.

As far as being safe by being an affiliate. One of the big pro a2 lawyers and one of the people involved in the suit said he was not sure if being a member was enough to protect you. He posts about it on the ar15 page.

I still dont see how anyone will know you have one unless you invite the man into your home willingly or unwillingly and its on the kitchen counter. Even them most PoPo are not going to know what it is anyways.

6. benenglish

Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    If the Emergency Joint Motion succeeds then that concern will be rendered moot.

toddnjoyce and Charlie like this.
  7. Charlie

Charlie TGT Addict TGT Supporter

Mar 19, 2008
    Kerr County
    Subscribed! I don't own a bump stock but I detest the idea of the government making these illegal rules/laws, etc.

roadrunner, Dawico, digger and 3 others like this.
  8. leVieux

leVieux Old Guy "Have Gun; Won't Travel !"

Mar 28, 2013
    Saint Martinville, LA
    Maybe I just missed something. . . . .

But,

Even after years as a Captain in the US Army Reserves, I don't see what the big deal is with full-auto or burst-fire weapons.

I can understand not letting nutcases or terrorists have something like twin truck-mounted .50 Cal BMG's.

But, what is the big difference between a M16 and an AR15, anyway ?

leVieux

9. toddnjoyce

toddnjoyce TGT Addict

Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne
    It’s not about the rate of fire increase.

10. Shady

Shady Well-Known

Aug 24, 2013
    One is legal to own without jumping though the hoops to get the other.

Both have been beat into the subconscious to cause panic in the sheeple out there but even more so when its full auto now no one can explain that to someone that is a true believer Just like you cant prove god exists to an atheist.

The main difference is as a semi auto the AR15 is more accurate than the m16 in full auto.

leVieux likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.