• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Sasquatch

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 20, 2020
    Magnolia
    "God sent me" and you have to believe her.

That has been one of my favorite combat scenes in any sci fi franchise since it first aired.

Star Trek Deep Space Nine came about as a response to Babylon 5 - the creator had pitched the idea to Paramount for a Star Trek series set on a space station and they decided to pass on it at the time. So he tweaked things a bit, and created Babylon 5 first as a made for TV movie that was essentially the pilot - it got picked up for syndicated TV - but not until *after* Paramount had announced and released Star Trek: DS9 which premiered 1 month before the pilot of Babylon 5. Funny how closely the two series were.

Both had to feature small craft that allowed the main characters to venture away from the station, but when that grew tiresome, both introduced a big bad new enemy, along with a tiny but mighty warship designed in secret. Both had a commanding officer who wound up as a "chosen one" - Commander Jeffery Sinclair being "Valen" and Commander / Captain Sisko being one of the "Prophets". Both had a major war arc as integral to the majority of the series. Both featured a male lead with female first officer, who had a deceased wife and would wind up remarrying near the end of the show's run.

Babylon 5 also wound up with some Star Trek alums working behind the scene, long time Star Trek writer DC Fontana who helped write episodes for Bab 5.

Damn I'm a geek. :laughing:

Vaquero

Moving stuff to the gas prices thread.....
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 4, 2011
    Dixie Land
    That has been one of my favorite combat scenes in any sci fi franchise since it first aired.

Star Trek Deep Space Nine came about as a response to Babylon 5 - the creator had pitched the idea to Paramount for a Star Trek series set on a space station and they decided to pass on it at the time. So he tweaked things a bit, and created Babylon 5 first as a made for TV movie that was essentially the pilot - it got picked up for syndicated TV - but not until *after* Paramount had announced and released Star Trek: DS9 which premiered 1 month before the pilot of Babylon 5. Funny how closely the two series were.

Both had to feature small craft that allowed the main characters to venture away from the station, but when that grew tiresome, both introduced a big bad new enemy, along with a tiny but mighty warship designed in secret. Both had a commanding officer who wound up as a "chosen one" - Commander Jeffery Sinclair being "Valen" and Commander / Captain Sisko being one of the "Prophets". Both had a major war arc as integral to the majority of the series. Both featured a male lead with female first officer, who had a deceased wife and would wind up remarrying near the end of the show's run.

Babylon 5 also wound up with some Star Trek alums working behind the scene, long time Star Trek writer DC Fontana who helped write episodes for Bab 5.

Damn I'm a geek. :laughing:
    Yep

General Zod

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2012
    Kaufman County
    One of the reasons Paramout passed on Straczynsky's "Babylon 5" idea was that the earliest seeds of Deep Space Nine were already being cultivated...though quite a few elements were influenced. There was little or no animosity between B5 and DS9's productions, and indeed Patricia Tallman was featured on both series.

Darkpriest667

Actually Attends
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 13, 2017
    Jarrell TX, United States
    I love Babylon 5 and DS9 is the best of the Trek series in my opinion.

"I know you. I was like you once. But then I opened my eyes. Open your eyes, Captain. Why is the Federation so obsessed with the Maquis? We've never harmed you. And yet we're constantly arrested and charged with terrorism. Starships chase us through the Badlands, and our supporters are harassed and ridiculed. Why? Because we've left the Federation, and that's the one thing you can't accept. Nobody leaves Paradise, everyone should want to be in the Federation! Hell, you even want the Cardassians to join. You're only sending them replicators because one day, they can take their rightful place on the Federation Council. You know, in some ways, you're even worse than the Borg. At least they tell you about their plans for assimilation. You're more insidious, you assimilate people - and they don't even know it."

Realizing the Federation weren't the good guys we thought they were was an amazing storyline move in DS9

General Zod

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2012
    Kaufman County

"I know you. I was like you once. But then I opened my eyes. Open your eyes, Captain. Why is the Federation so obsessed with the Maquis? We've never harmed you. And yet we're constantly arrested and charged with terrorism. Starships chase us through the Badlands, and our supporters are harassed and ridiculed. Why? Because we've left the Federation, and that's the one thing you can't accept. Nobody leaves Paradise, everyone should want to be in the Federation! Hell, you even want the Cardassians to join. You're only sending them replicators because one day, they can take their rightful place on the Federation Council. You know, in some ways, you're even worse than the Borg. At least they tell you about their plans for assimilation. You're more insidious, you assimilate people - and they don't even know it."

Realizing the Federation weren't the good guys we thought they were was an amazing storyline move in DS9

DS9 also got ambitious in other ways. I never, ever thought I'd see battles on-screen with hundreds of starships maneuvering and taking fire...until Deep Space Nine came along. The first hint was the Klingon assault on the station, where they showed why being on a space station might not be such a bad thing in a battle ("Right now, I've got five thousand photon torpedoes armed and ready to launch. If you don't believe me, feel free to scan the station") and then the Dominion war really got rolling and we had scenes like these:

ds9 return battle 3.gif

ds9 return battle 1.gif

As a kid I could never have imagined Star Trek even considering battle scenes like this. That, and taking the risk of making the Dominion war a story arc over multiple seasons...definitely a risk for a syndicated show.

Sasquatch

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 20, 2020
    Magnolia

Same - DS9 is my favorite of the series. Lucky for me - wifey is also a big sci fi nerd. When we moved in together, we completed each other's missing collections between the series.

DS9 also got ambitious in other ways. I never, ever thought I'd see battles on-screen with hundreds of starships maneuvering and taking fire...until Deep Space Nine came along. The first hint was the Klingon assault on the station, where they showed why being on a space station might not be such a bad thing in a battle ("Right now, I've got five thousand photon torpedoes armed and ready to launch. If you don't believe me, feel free to scan the station") and then the Dominion war really got rolling and we had scenes like these:

View attachment 410819

View attachment 410817

As a kid I could never have imagined Star Trek even considering battle scenes like this. That, and taking the risk of making the Dominion war a story arc over multiple seasons...definitely a risk for a syndicated show.

Until the DS9 war arc - Starfleet had always come off as really not that large - supposedly at the time of the launch of TNG, only 6 Galaxy class starships had been built, and most were destroyed by the time season 2 of TNG finished. They were supposedly so expensive and time consuming to build (probably because none of the writers envisioned replicated starships, or had a grasp of what our own production processes would be like in the near future such as 3D printing and rapid prototyping) - it seemed that Starfleet only consisted of a few dozen ships scattered across half the galaxy (Alpha and Beta quadrants)

DS9 showed us dozens of Galaxy class ships, including upgraded versions, plus they absorbed other new classes showcased in First Contact. It was also clear by then that Gene Roddenberry was not at the helm - the Defiant never would've made it thru his OK since it didn't adhere to his idea of how a warp drive worked (which meant detached nacelles away from the body mounted on pylons or wings) not to mention he wouldn't have approved of such a dark overarching theme.

We also discovered that, despite the power of capital ships in the series, fighter craft were actually still in use, and the larger capital ships would serve as carriers, and ground forces were still a necessity to take and hold land which at first seems weird, as one or two starships could hold a planet hostage if left unchallenged, and an entire fleet could lay seige to a system effectively - but then you still need boots on the ground to take actual control and squash rebellions or push back enemy ground forces.

I'm still bummed the DS9 crew never got a feature film or a crossover feature film with the TNG cast at least. I don't count Worf and the Defiant as being such, as there were no other DS9 members in First Contact and DS9 never explained how Worf could just zip off on his own with the Defiant to take part in the borg encounter.I did like the FC uniforms more though, so at least there was that nod by the DS9 producers.

Sasquatch

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 20, 2020
    Magnolia
    TNG reinvigorated Trek, but DS9 was some of the best storytelling and explored more morally ambiguous subject matter. And it had more Klingons, which is always fun.

Yep - and which other series had a captain that openly committed war crimes - dude poisoned an entire planet in order to arrest a former subordinate, he murdered an ambassador + an entire ship's crew and passengers in a false flag operation and pinned the murder on his rivals to pull a former enemy into a war on the side of the federation as opposed to the dominion / cardassian side, he aided in the assassination of Chancellor Gowron. Jim Kirk might've bent the rules a hundred times, but he never did any of that. Picard was too straight laced and stuffy to ever do that. Janeway was too weak to even hit the easy button to bring "her" crew home. Besides, Sisko did something none of the others did either - he punched Q square in the face.

toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne
    What threads locked, and no BUMP. ya gatta have a BUMP

If threadlocker has been applied, I find a heat gun to be useful. You can also just put your phone in the oven and turn the oven up to 450. At 300*, check to see if the thread’s been unlocked. If not, check again at 400*. If not let it get to 450* and wait for 30 mins. Never fails once you let the heat sink in.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom