Guns International

Business owners: right to refuse service to anyone?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rebel

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 20, 2014
    In California, as a business you cannot discriminate in hiring due to a persons political affiliations. So the local GOP office cannot refuse to hire democrats?

True, but proving that Citizen X wasn't hired because they were ________ is nearly impossible. In addition, an employer in California can fire an employee because the employer doesn't like the color of the shirt the employee wore on that particular day. Proving discrimination is quite difficult.

breakingcontact

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Oct 16, 2012
    Indianapolis
    True, but proving that Citizen X wasn't hired because they were ________ is nearly impossible. In addition, an employer in California can fire an employee because the employer doesn't like the color of the shirt the employee wore on that particular day. Proving discrimination is quite difficult.
    Ive thought about this. Christians who openly apply their faith to their businesses are going to have to start being more defensive.

Southpaw

Forum BSer
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Mar 30, 2009
    Guadalupe Co.
    In this day and age, I say leave it all up to the market.

If you make a stupid decision and your market punishes you for it, so be it. Too bad if you go out of business but that's life.

And if you make a brilliant decision and your market rewards you for it, good on 'ya.

It is not the govts place to pick winners and losers.

I have to go with AN4s post as well. He basically sums up my thoughts on your post, BC.

Government intervention in these matters only serves to hurt ALL business in the end.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    Adequately understanding (to say nothing of answering) the OPs questions would take 3 dozen doctoral dissertations, 150 books, and 749 research studies. We're going to accomplish nothing here. As much as I'd like to dive in and write several multi-thousand word posts, it ain't worth it.

breakingcontact

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Oct 16, 2012
    Indianapolis
    Adequately understanding (to say nothing of answering) the OPs questions would take 3 dozen doctoral dissertations, 150 books, and 749 research studies. We're going to accomplish nothing here. As much as I'd like to dive in and write several multi-thousand word posts, it ain't worth it.
    Thanks for joining the conversation Ben.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    Thanks for joining the conversation Ben.
    Looking for a sarcasm tag... :)

Seriously, there's so much history wrapped up in all those situations that it's impossible to start.

I like to proceed from general principles to specific actions. The general principle should be "if it doesn't pick my pocket or break my leg", the government should not be involved. Trying to be pure in pursuit of that principle, though, simply doesn't work. We tried it with the Articles of Confederation and wound up having to start over and write a constitution. Every question you asked has an historical background that convinces some people that it's OK to make an exception to the general "pocket/leg" principle.

Sometimes they're right and sometimes they're wrong.

AustinN4

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Nov 27, 2013
    Austin
    And I feel the same way about affirmative action and quotas on the hiring side.

Employers, including local, state and federal governments, should be free to hire the best and brightest they can afford. It shouldn't matter one whit if they are black, brown yellow, red or white. Or if they are male or female, straight or gay. Or if they are Buddhist, Christian, Jewish, Muslim, or none of the above.

AustinN4

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Nov 27, 2013
    Austin
    good luck with that. just like good luck with offering that guy with a Ford Motorsports crate engine in his mustang "book value" because it's not on the NADA checklist for used cars. LMFAO.
    Didn't say they could, I said should be able to.

Last edited:

KrcTrooper

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 6, 2013
    Taylor, TX
    When a country founded on moral standards starts betraying those morals to please certain groups of citizens, then the moral citizens no longer have a country they can be proud of. America is no longer the greatest country in the world, it is sad to say so, but it is true in reality

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    The9ine
    Top Bottom