ARJ Defense ad

Buying land for private range use: any suggestions?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mak91

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 1, 2013
    We're getting started and are thinking about 300K for some land within an hour or two of San Antonio. Anyone care to make some recommendations on minimal acreage, location, things they would or wouldn't have done when buying similarly purposed land?

Thanks very much.
    Texas SOT

rp-

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Apr 11, 2010
    converse
    Don't get anything next to a green belt. Make sure the properties adjacent are all owned. Greenbelts tend to attract visitors and workers which can get shot...

Bracken range is almost like an old quarry but much smaller. It is all dug into the ground so bullets don't tend to ricochet. Remember, point blank range means the max range a projectile will travel when fired from a barrel parallel to the ground. This can be well over 300 yards for most rifles and over 50 yards for some pistols.

Make space for pistols, rifles, and shotguns. The more peoe can bring, the merrier they'll be!

Make a space for long range shooting. Maybe make a space for 50cals on or near there too. A 100 yard range has no place for a 50bmg...

Also, the closer to town the better.

Just my 1.5cents worth. I've thought about starting a range myself.

Maverick44

Youngest old man on TGT.
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Do you mean private range for yourself, or a private range club for members to use?

If it's for yourself, I would suggest getting away from any developed areas. You don't want your range to be surrounded by suburbs in 20 years. My grandfather used to hunt dove not that long ago in areas around DFW that are now nothing but suburbs and businesses. Expansion can happen faster than you think.

Wyldman

Well-Known
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 10, 2016
    Save a bunch of money, as much as you possibly can, for the insurance. The land will be cheap by comparison.

Crush, kill, mangle, maim, destroy.

HKShooter65

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Flat land will require a bulldozed berm or some very significant backstop to be safe.

I'm fortunate enough to have inherited some land in the hill country with a natural 50-75 foot tall bluff 200 yards inside my property line.
    Perfect shooting range.

Buy something with enough natural topographic undulation to make shooting safe and easy.
    The farther from a city the better IMO.

Hill country, for me, is more charming than south of SA, but that's just personal.

BTW our place cost us $11.24 an acre.
    Thing have gone up a bit since 1923!!

Last edited:

TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    You don't want your range to be surrounded by suburbs in 20 years.
    If he has 50+ acres then the suburbs will have to just suck it up. Plus the suburban crawl will really help the value when it's time to sell.

In my previous neighborhood there was a field between the houses and HEB. Folks out there with shotguns every day during dove season. I'm guessing the field is over 10 acres since they never got hassled for it.

mak91

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 1, 2013
    To clarify, I am looking to buy land for my own shooting use.

Just happened to be at capitol armory and someone mentioned that Austin, not on my list of potential places to buy, requires 50 acres for centerfire shooting in town. Hopefully this requirement is not universal.

Mreed911

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Apr 18, 2013
    Austin, TX

Just happened to be at capitol armory and someone mentioned that Austin, not on my list of potential places to buy, requires 50 acres for centerfire shooting in town. Hopefully this requirement is not universal.

It is, inside most city limits.

diesel1959

por vida
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2013
    Houston & BFE

The State only requires a landowner have 10 acres of land (or to be able to be aggregated with adjacent neighbors to make up at least 10 acres), in order to be able to discharge weapons on the property. That only applies to unincorporated portions of the county though, as cities have a tendency to up the ante--as you've noticed.

Last edited:

busykngt

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 14, 2011
    McKinney
    I own some shooting land in Collin County and have studied the governing laws pretty extensively. Read the link karlac posted - it's your "beginning bible" to understand what impact growth can have on your buying decision. My advice is to buy the largest tract of "trash property" - think desert or floodplain (like Elm Fork in Dallas) - that you'll be able to afford to pay property taxes on. An old rock quarry or high cut bank along a creek would be a plus (see the hill country comment posting). Since you're considering the purchase for your own personal/private use, $300K ought to be plenty to find something an hour or two outside of SA (as long as you're not looking north!). *** Of course the concept of "trash property" usually goes against the idea of buying for future investment - more of just land to play {shoot} on ***

Sent from my Apple thang.

Charlie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    'Top of the hill, Kerr County!
    The State only requires a landowner have 10 acres of land (or to be able to be aggregated with adjacent neighbors to make up at least 10 acres), in order to be able to discharge weapons on the property. That only applies to unincorporated portions of the county though, as cities have a tendency to up the ante--as you've noticed.

Not true. For example, a person can discharge a firearm in Kerrville city limits as long as it doesn't leave the property or endanger anyone. The "10 acres" thing is not law as far as I am aware. Please correct me if I'm wrong with a cite from Texas law.

Last edited:

diesel1959

por vida
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2013
    Houston & BFE
    Not true. For example, a person can discharge a firearm in Kerrville city limits as long as it doesn't leave the property or endanger anyone. The "10 acres" thing is not law as far as I am aware. Please correct me if I'm wrong with a cite from Texas law.
    Go to Local Government Code, Title 7, Subtitle B, Chapter 235, Subchapter B, Section 235.022. http://www.statutes.legis.state.tx.us/Docs/LG/htm/LG.235.htm

It reads as follows: To promote the public safety, the commissioners court of a county by order may prohibit or otherwise regulate the discharge of firearms and air guns on lots that are 10 acres or smaller and are located in the unincorporated area of the county in a subdivision.

Therefore, you have a State law which empowers County authorities to the extent only that they can't ban firearms from being discharged on pieces of property greater than 10 acres in the unincorporated portions of their county.

Cities have their own ability to separately pass ordinances restricting discharge of firearms within their incorporated limits. Not every city in Texas opts to so restrict, I suppose (regarding your Kerrville question.).

Last edited:

Charlie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    Go to Local Government Code, Title 7, Subtitle B, Chapter 235, Subchapter B, Section 235.022. http://www.statutes.legis.state.tx.us/Docs/LG/htm/LG.235.htm

It reads as follows: To promote the public safety, the commissioners court of a county by order may prohibit or otherwise regulate the discharge of firearms and air guns on lots that are 10 acres or smaller and are located in the unincorporated area of the county in a subdivision.

Therefore, you have a State law which empowers County authorities to the extent only that they can't ban firearms from being discharged on pieces of property greater than 10 acres in the unincorporated portions of their county.

So, it's not a state law that one cannot discharge a firearm on less than 10 acres. Correct?

Charlie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    I keep reading that one must have 10 acres or more to discharge a firearm legally in Texas. That is untrue. Counties (or cities) can pass laws but until a county does, it is NOT against the law for a person to discharge a firearm on less than 10 acres.

diesel1959

por vida
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2013
    Houston & BFE
    So, it's not a state law that one cannot discharge a firearm on less than 10 acres. Correct?
    I just quoted you a State law--straight from the Texas Local Government Code. It says that so long as you have greater than 10 acres in the unincorporated portion of the county, you're good to go. The county can't touch you and that is with the State's blessing through preemption. And the city can't touch you as you aren't within their jurisdiction. What part of that is not in harmony with what I've previously stated?

It is an exercise for the individual to determine whether their own County has elected NOT to restrict up to the limit allowed by that section of the law. I'm not personally aware of any Texas Counties that have not done so, but research away!

Last edited:
    Top Bottom