• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Tex929rr

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 11, 2015
    Welfare, TX
    Welcome. I was born and raised in Maine, but I first came to Texas in 1978 and settled here for good in 1987. You are going to love it. New, right thinking immigrants are good to have around.
    Texas SOT

GaryS

TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 4, 2016
    Hiding among the Hippos
    If it helps, I've read Lone Star : a history of Texas and the Texans as well as Journey Through Texas.

Both books were informative in different ways and I would recommend them to anyone who is considering a move to Texas.

In our travels we've been to The Alamo and San Jacinto, as well as other historic sites in the state.

We're not moving to Texas to "help" you improve. We pretty much like what we've seen. I've even figured out ESDs, MUDs, and WCIDs. Well sort of. ;) I'm still working on sorting out options for Internet and Cable providers.

Gary, welcome to Texas. Texas isn't just a state it's also a state of mind with tremendous pride and we had to fight for our independence from Mexico. In time you will understand that and hopefully embrace it. Texans are pretty wary of outsiders from certain states coming here trying to change us but I don't think Massachusetts is on that list. Again, welcome to our Texas and the forum.

GaryS

TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 4, 2016
    Hiding among the Hippos
    There are two. Gun Owners Action League (GOAL.org). Founded in the mid 1970s during the first attempt to strip gun owners of our 2A rights. They were good for several years, then became greedy and corrupt. About ten years of so ago there was a revolt and the old leadership was tossed out by the members and a new leadership team came in.

Executive Director James Wallace is tireless in dogging legislators and effective in getting changes to legislation that make the onerous laws less onerous. He's the one member of the Board of Directors who I know puts gun owners first. They mostly concentrate on the State House, but over the last few years became more involved in litigation.

Commonwealth Second Amendment (Comm2A.org) was formed about Fifteen years ago with the express purpose of litigating against state laws in (mostly federal) courts. They've had a fair amount of success in court getting laws overturned as unConstitutional.

I was quite active in both organizations before COVID and both carried on during that, but there were not as many meetings or other gatherings until last year.

It's a daily struggle and by the time we leave in a couple of weeks there is very likely to be a new completely impermissible post Bruen set of gun laws that are supposed to make our lives better. :( Which will lead to yet more litigation. Keep in mind that the First Circuit of the US Court system is the most liberal there is right now.

Anyway, there is stuff going on in the fight to protect the Second Amendment in MA, but it's not an easy one.

Which leads me to ask. I see a couple of pro 2A organizations in TX, but don't know anything about them. I could use some information as to where to spend my money.
    Howdy and welcome to the forum!

I had no idea there was such a thing.

TxStetson

Opinionated and Irritable
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 9, 2013
    The Big Country
    Welcome to the forum. When I read your 1st post I was going to wait for a while before saying welcome. I wasn’t sure if you were going to be a typical Mass-hole or not. After reading your follow up replies I feel comfortable saying Welcome Home.

GaryS

TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 4, 2016
    Hiding among the Hippos
    I hope people won't laugh at me too much as I say "Howdy" and "Y'all" with a northeast accent. Then again, my lovely Daughter in Law is from New Jersey and lives in South Carolina. She says "Y'all", "Lord have mercy," and even "Please her heart" with a NJ accent.

Kind of like in "My Cousin Vinny." ;)

Once we get settled in I'll be asking people in Travis and Williamson Counties about ranges, gun stores, pawn shops (they can't sell guns in MA), and other gun related things.

Welcome to the forum. When I read your 1st post I was going to wait for a while before saying welcome. I wasn’t sure if you were going to be a typical Mass-hole or not. After reading your follow up replies I feel comfortable saying Welcome Home.

SARGE67

Well-Known
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 19, 2021
    Texas
    Have you tried our chicken fried steaks and peppered gravy with fried okra and smashed taters (real ones) and corn upon the cob yet, and peach cobbler with Blue Bell vanilla on top ? And learn that every real Texan thinks that he/she makes the best BBQ, chili, ribs and burgers. If you have any doubts, just ask one...

General Zod

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2012
    Kaufman County
    OK, important cultural notes here to both help you fit in and improve your quality of life, especially with Thanksgiving and Christmas coming up.

Ready?

Turkey stuffing contains neither walnuts nor white bread. Look up a recipe for conbread stuffing and embrace the ways of your new home - and wonder where things went wrong back in New England. My wife and I caused quite the crisis of faith in Maine one year when we cooked Thanksgiving dinner at her father's house for his friends and they experienced proper cornbread stuffing for the first time.

GaryS

TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 4, 2016
    Hiding among the Hippos
    I liked Bastrop and wanted to look seriously there. My wife liked the northeast suburbs (if that's the right word) more, so there we'll be.

Either way, we'll be in Texas. She mentioned today that she is completely ready to leave Massachusetts. I think she's more eager than am I.

Welcome from Bastrop, Texas

GaryS

TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 4, 2016
    Hiding among the Hippos
    On one of my trips I was tapped to be a judge for a Chili cook off. Great. What do I know about Chili? Other than in Texas it doesn't have beans.

One of the contestants was a friend. I judged his Chili second best. He didn't speak to me for a week.

Does it count that I like Grits? Real Grits, not the instant kind.

Have you tried our chicken fried steaks and peppered gravy with fried okra and smashed taters (real ones) and corn upon the cob yet, and peach cobbler with Blue Bell vanilla on top ? And learn that every real Texan thinks that he/she makes the best BBQ, chili, ribs and burgers. If you have any doubts, just ask one...

Top Bottom