• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ROGER4314

Been Called "Flash" Since I Was A Kid!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    Bonnie and I went to the new Cabela's store Wednesday with "preferred customer" invitations. We got in a day before the grand opening. The store is pretty cool and the displays of mountainous terrain with Antelope and goats were spectacular! The giant fish tank was my favorite.

There were huge supplies of new pistols and the biggest stock of Glock pistols that I've seen in years! Glock sent representatives who trained the sales folks on their products.

Cabela's sent a $50 off coupon in the mail for $500 purchase and they do honor that coupon on firearms purchases.

All things considered, it was a fun trip!

Flash

Last edited:

XinTX

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 29, 2010
    South of Houston
    I went yesterday. Crowded as all get out. They have a HUGE selection of just about anything. Prices on projectiles wasn't too bad. But one thing they did that really gets my goat is they have all the powder and primers behind the pistol counter. So to get either, you have to wait at the busiest counter in the store, then look and see (from a distance) what they may have. Then eventually ask for it once you can get someone's attention. If you are lucky enough to get through all that, then you get the pleasure of standing in yet another line to pay for it. Needless to say, I didn't buy any powder or primers.

It's much smaller than the Bass Pro on 288/Beltway. I've heard it's far smaller than the Buda store, though I've never been there.

Mikewood

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 8, 2011
    Houston
    It's much smaller than the Bass Pro on 288/Beltway. I've heard it's far smaller than the Buda store, though I've never been there.

Thanks. That was going to be my first question. Second was; are the prices better than Academy? The sad thing is I have been in the Buda store about half a dozen times and never bought anything for myself outside of a silicone pint beer glass. I always liked reading their catalogs but their quality often doesn't match the price.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

XinTX

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 29, 2010
    South of Houston
    Thanks. That was going to be my first question. Second was; are the prices better than Academy? The sad thing is I have been in the Buda store about half a dozen times and never bought anything for myself outside of a silicone pint beer glass. I always liked reading their catalogs but their quality often doesn't match the price.

They seemed to have a good selection of items. But given the size of that store I could see that being reduced some over time. Prices on projectiles seemed good. Those I know of who managed to take a look at their powder said their prices on that were rather high. Prices on their guns seemed high. But if you're looking for something you haven't seen at Academy, they likely have it.

ROGER4314

Been Called "Flash" Since I Was A Kid!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    I opted to fill out a 4473 on paper instead of their computer system. I mowed the day before and allergies were beating my vision up for reading, so I wanted to use the paper form that I was used to.

Making a long story short, even with my CHL, they had FIVE different people check my 4473 and documents. It took a long time and I had to pee. I mentioned that but it made little difference. Finally, in exasperation, I said "Hell, this is more difficult than getting my Masters Thesis approved!" Should have saved my breath. That too, made no difference!

They have the guns, but the simple 4473 form is converted into an interrogation at Cabela's.

Flash

Moonpie

Omnipotent Potentate for hire.
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 4, 2013
    Gunz are icky.
    I just went by.
    Crowded as all get out.
    i just went to check the gun section. Sucked. The Buda store is much better.
    Prices close to Bass Pro.
    Very little blackpowder guns. ZERO traditional long guns. A few lame in-lines.
    They DO NOT sell real blackpowder. Major harsh of my mellow.
    Plenty of ammo. Even 22lr. Prices comparable to most other places.
    Big MEH from me.

Texasgordo

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    May 15, 2008
    Gonzales, Texas
    I just went by.
    Crowded as all get out.
    i just went to check the gun section. Sucked. The Buda store is much better.
    Prices close to Bass Pro.
    Very little blackpowder guns. ZERO traditional long guns. A few lame in-lines.
    They DO NOT sell real blackpowder. Major harsh of my mellow.
    Plenty of ammo. Even 22lr. Prices comparable to most other places.
    Big MEH from me.
    How much smaller is it than the Buda store?

Mowingmaniac 24/7

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2015
    I'll go by there mid-week six months from now when the novelty of their existence is no longer and no crush of humanity to be jostled by.

Rebel

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 20, 2014
    About the same size as the Waco location. The Gun Library was uninspiring at best; hopefully they pad it out over the next few months.

Herter's .30 Carbine was a ridiculous $32; paid $25 at the Waco store late last year.

mroper

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 7, 2011
    Katy, TX
    went on Saturday. Prices on ammo seemed higher then Academy store was packed didnt get close to gun counter. I did not see any sales going on either. I might check it out once more when the frenzy drops down.

rsayloriii

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2009
    H-Town, TX
    Went yesterday with the family. Major disappointment in the size and overall selection. It was more akin to a Cabela's Outpost rather than a full store. The misses commented on how she could see from wall to wall. You can't do that at the Buda store. Also, no second level. The mountain of death was more of a mole hill and the aquarium was a fish bowl.

Moonpie

Omnipotent Potentate for hire.
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 4, 2013
    Gunz are icky.
    Went by this new store again yesterday morning.
    The crowd is no longer a problem.
    Had a chance to check out the gun counter. Sucks. Lame really. About 1/3 the size of the Buda store.
    They do sell percussion caps for BP guns. They're behind the counter in the handgun display by the powders.

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    BernierF350
    Top Bottom