DK Firearms

Caffeine - Moderating Intake and Avoiding Habit Forming Drinks.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • matefrio

ΔΕΞΑΙ
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2010
    Missouri, Texas Consulate HQ
    For years I drank Dr. Pepper. A whole lot of Dr. Pepper and have suffered some consequences of this habit.

3 years ago I went Diet Dr. Pepper most of the time. Again, a habit formed.

About 4 months ago I told myself I was going to quit soft drinks except on weekends and have followed that plan.

One thing I didn't kick is the intake of some caffeine. I wanted a way to moderate my intake. Drinking anything from Coffee to Red Bull it's tough to know how much to drink for the desired results and out of habit dose too much or too little even though the daily "need" is different. It's also costly. Take the price of an energy drink per gallon or per dose of caffeine and it gets $$.

You know you're in a habit when you "know" how much coffee, tea, soda or energy drinks you drink every day. I drink 3 sodas a day, or I start my day with 2 coffees or I need a red bull at 2pm every day. That's a bad habit.

My solution is to buy 99% pure caffeine. - $12.00 for 100 Grams.

yhst-26440718371714_2205_6494857

That and a scale that can do milligrams. Milligram Scale, 20 by 0.001 G $25.00
    41tuCIvhTPL._SL500_SS75_.jpg

This way I just add it to water. If I want I can add flavouring or not.

Coffee as, on average, 120 mg of caffeine. So that 100 Gram bottle of caffeine has over 833 cups worth for $12.00.

Monster Drinks Average 160 mg of caffeine.

Sodas 30 - 60 mg of caffeine.

It's also possible to mix your own energy drinks for pennies compared to buying off shelf.

Results after a few months:

Controlling when and how much caffeine I've taken really helps. I've found some days I don't need it and just drink my water plain instead. I've developed a good water drinking habit and have broken the soda habit.

I do feel better now. I don't know exactly what it was but I started feeling better after kicking the soft-drink habit.

Side note historically I also use caffeine to self medicate attention deficit when needed. I've never taken any prescription meds. just have noticed caffeine helps me focus when I have a long boring task to do.

I've found I can also mix about 50 mg of caffeine will cure some headaches if over the counter pain relievers aren't working.

http://www.energyfiend.com/the-caffeine-database Caffeine Data Base of Drinks.

Stevia Extract Ascorbic Acid Vitamin Caffeine Arginine Spirulina Pure Bulk Powder Herb Store USA - Caffeine

Amazon.com: American Weigh Gemini-20 Portable Milligram Scale, 20 by 0.001 G: Kitchen & Dining Scale
    Capitol Armory ad

TXARGUY

Famous Among Dozens
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    May 31, 2012
    Wildcat Thicket, Texas
    I have avoided as much caffine as possible for several years now. It just effects me harder than most everyone else (at least I think so). No one likes a 40 year old spazz.

Also, every doctor I have talked to on the subject has warned against caffine and sugar (sodas especialy). I did used to treat myself every once in a while with a Dublin Dr Pepper but thanks to a large soulless corporation I can't do that anymore.

Acesn8's

Well-Known
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Llano county
    I cannot wean myself from coffee or the headaches ensue so I limit myself to one cup a day out of a 24oz mug.

shortround

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 24, 2011
    Grid 0409
    After drinking two to three Coca Colas per day (caffeinated) from childhood onwards for forty years, I heard a cardiologist speak to the hazards of sugar and high fructose corn syrup contained in soft drinks.

I quit the colas altogether and switched to unsweetened ice tea. Between my morning coffee and ice tea, never had a caffeine withdrawal.

That change, along with restricting the intake of anything with refined sugar or corn syrup, accounted for the loss of 30 pounds in one year, without having to alter any of my other unhealthy lifestyle choices.

Some day, I might quit the drinking, smoking, bitching, moaning, and cussing!

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    I cannot wean myself from coffee or the headaches ensue so I limit myself to one cup a day out of a 24oz mug.

I've cut out caffeine entirely twice now. This go-round, I'm off the stuff for 4-5 years now. I forget when the last "regular" caffeine I had was...

I'll still have a coffee or something once in a great while, but it's not an addiction thing anymore. Getting off caffeine is a bitch. People don't realize that there is a real physical addiction going on, along with a psychological one. The physical addiction is what gives us headaches.

Both times I've done this, I worked down to one soda a day, to about as little caffeine as I could and then picked a 3-day weekend to finally go cold turkey. You'll be pretty miserable all weekend, just make sure you drink tons of water (you'll want to anyway - the addiction is telling you to drink something to end the pain) and take it easy. By the start of work next week, you'll be out of it, still craving but at least not hurting. Stick to water. From there on, it's just time and reminding yourself of the headaches the addiction causes.

Roscoe

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2009
    Magnolia
    Went on the Atkins diet for several months back in 2003. Diet worked great, but they recommend you give up caffeine. First three or four days
    I was one nasty bastard to work around. Seemed like one long migraine. After it finally cleared up I had no more problems. Then I went out
    to Afghanistan, freezing my butt off and started drinking coffee and hot tea again. I do need to cut back on coffee again.

Kyle

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 24, 2011
    Conroe
    I've been drinking way too much pop for as long as I can remember.. I have fortunately never seen any effects of it... until lately. I've packed on 20 lbs in the last 8 months. I just tried just quiting pop all together... not working well.. I have a constant tension headache but it is just a dull frustration at best. If I pound some water it goes away for a bit. I find myself craving the carbonation though. I think I going to try some carbonated water and see if it pacifies me for now...

Wolfwood

Self Appointed Board Chauvinist
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 12, 2009
    i love my caffeine.

i source my chemicals from www.purebulk.com
    Buy Caffeine Powder | PureBulk.com

lots of other very interesting and useful chemicals on this site.

i think you'll liek this.

also, i have that same scale, be careful - for the more potent supplements out there, it really isnt accurate enough.

generally with fresh batteries and a calibration, it is close enough though.

Wolfwood

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 12, 2009
    I've been drinking way too much pop for as long as I can remember.. I have fortunately never seen any effects of it... until lately. I've packed on 20 lbs in the last 8 months. I just tried just quiting pop all together... not working well.. I have a constant tension headache but it is just a dull frustration at best. If I pound some water it goes away for a bit. I find myself craving the carbonation though. I think I going to try some carbonated water and see if it pacifies me for now...

get some straight abscorbic acid and mega dose 3 times a day.

1000 mgs in a shot glass, pour some water in, knock it back. extra tangy. Will get rid of the residual caffeine and get you straight a little faster. also it's just plain good for ya.

tablets work as well, and you dont have to bne as careful about rinsing your mouth, but i find OTC caps just dont feel like they are as potent as lab fresh powders.

Clockwork

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2010
    San Antonio, TX
    I've never been one to avoid caffeine, but I get mine from black coffee. In my life I've been fortunate enough to never have a sweet tooth so I'm not crazy about foo-foo coffee drinks or sodas. I haven't noticed any negative side effects, personally. Actually I don't even drink coffee to wake up half the time, only because I actually like the taste of coffee.

Clockwork

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2010
    San Antonio, TX
    Went on the Atkins diet for several months back in 2003. Diet worked great, but they recommend you give up caffeine. First three or four days
    I was one nasty bastard to work around. Seemed like one long migraine. After it finally cleared up I had no more problems. Then I went out
    to Afghanistan, freezing my butt off and started drinking coffee and hot tea again. I do need to cut back on coffee again.

Thing with Atkins/keto/paleo is that it's a fat-based diet and a person needs to drink a metric **** ton of water to break down those fats. If you're drinking a diuretic then it becomes counter-productive.

Wolfwood

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 12, 2009
    Thing with Atkins/keto/paleo is that it's a fat-based diet and a person needs to drink a metric **** ton of water to break down those fats. If you're drinking a diuretic then it becomes counter-productive.

what is that in ounces?

Kyle

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 24, 2011
    Conroe
    get some straight abscorbic acid and mega dose 3 times a day.

1000 mgs in a shot glass, pour some water in, knock it back. extra tangy. Will get rid of the residual caffeine and get you straight a little faster. also it's just plain good for ya.

tablets work as well, and you dont have to bne as careful about rinsing your mouth, but i find OTC caps just dont feel like they are as potent as lab fresh powders.

Appreciate the info Sir. Ill look into this stuff!

RstyShcklfrd

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 23, 2011
    Dallas
    Just an FYI on mega dosing on ascorbic acid, which is just Vitamin C. If you mega dose on ascorbic acid, it may or may not cause you to have some of the most horrific smelling gas.

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Grendor
    Top Bottom