• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    Campus carry is legal now. Also, despite what the article states, Texas allows individual schools to allow carry in the buildings.

The media never gets it right.

I strongly support this law which would allow CHL holders to carry on the premise of a college.

steve-o

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 30, 2011
    Arlington
    BS. I just talked to a local college campus police force (Irving TX) yesterday and you are not allowed to have a firearm even in your vehicle while on that campus.
    Does the school have the proper 30.06 signage posted around campus? If so, they(campus cops) are correct.

matefrio

ΔΕΞΑΙ
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2010
    Missouri, Texas Consulate HQ
    BS. I just talked to a local college campus police force (Irving TX) yesterday and you are not allowed to have a firearm even in your vehicle while on that campus.
    They can have a college policy as such that students and visitors, who are made aware of such policy, are prohibited. This is not a law though and if I, as a CHL holder, have not been given proper notification I may carry on the grounds (edited to grounds oops).

Not many cops I know understand CHL laws to the extent txinvestigator does. Although not a lawyer he's on top of things and I'd trust his advice here more than a random college campus cop or security guard.

Don't take our word for it though. Read the law yourself. Knowing how to look at law and understanding it is a great skill set and will protect you against hear say.

Last edited:

TexasRedneck

1911 Nut
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    New Braunfels, TX
    Actually, if it's a public college or university, IIRC they're precluded from banning guns on premises. Carry prohibition only applies to the building proper.

London

The advocate's Devil.
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Sep 28, 2010
    Twilight Zone
    Actually, if it's a public college or university, IIRC they're precluded from banning guns on premises. Carry prohibition only applies to the building proper.

The language is tricky. "Premises" is defined as the area inside a building, which isn't what most people think of when they hear that word. It is defined at the end of the law where a lot of people don't bother reading. Sporting events are also a no-no. So you can walk around campus for the most part but not enter any buildings. A lot of good that does unless you only have a jogging class.

Sec. 46.03. PLACES WEAPONS PROHIBITED.
    (1) on the physical premises of a school or educational institution, any grounds or building on which an activity sponsored by a school or educational institution is being conducted, or a passenger transportation vehicle of a school or educational institution, whether the school or educational institution is public or private, unless pursuant to written regulations or written authorization of the institution;
    (c) In this section:
    (1) "Premises" has the meaning assigned by Section 46.035.

Sec. 46.035. UNLAWFUL CARRYING OF HANDGUN BY LICENSE HOLDER.
    (3) "Premises" means a building or a portion of a building. The term does not include any public or private driveway, street, sidewalk or walkway, parking lot, parking garage, or other parking area.

I could have sworn last session a law was passed which allowed guns in vehicles on campus.

Last edited:

TexasRedneck

1911 Nut
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    New Braunfels, TX
    You're missing a key component: " passenger transportation vehicle of a school or educational institution"....

IOW, a vehicle owned/registered by said school/educational institution.

jordanmills

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2009
    Pearland, TX
    The language is tricky. "Premises" is defined as the area inside a building, which isn't what most people think of when they hear that word. It is defined at the end of the law where a lot of people don't bother reading. Sporting events are also a no-no. So you can walk around campus for the most part but not enter any buildings. A lot of good that does unless you only have a jogging class.

I could have sworn last session a law was passed which allowed guns in vehicles on campus.

Not any sporting event. Professional sporting events or, apparently, any sporting event sponsored by a school (including grounds, not just "premises"). So apparently it's arguably illegal (depending on how the court finds the definition of "grounds") to carry a firearm in your car if you're in a parking lot where a school-sponsored sporting event is going on. Outlandish situation: some competition is sponsored in part by an HISD magnet school, they rent the reliant arena for their event, you go to one of those lame flea markets at reliant center, park in shared parking... you might get arrested and the judge might find that "grounds" includes the parking lot. Whee.

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    Your local college campus police "force" is incorrect. Even with 30.06 posted, it does not apply to public colleges. Private, yes.

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    1qwerty
    Top Bottom