• jordanmills

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2009
    Pearland, TX
    Why would 30.06 not apply?
    PENAL CODE  CHAPTER 30. BURGLARY AND CRIMINAL TRESPASS
    (e) It is an exception to the application of this section that the property on which the license holder carries a handgun is owned or leased by a governmental entity and is not a premises or other place on which the license holder is prohibited from carrying the handgun under Section 46.03 or 46.035.
    30.06 signs do not apply to government owned or lease property.
    Texas SOT

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 17, 2010
    Austin
    Last edited:

jordanmills

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2009
    Pearland, TX
    They can apply if the location is listed in 46.03 or 46.035. Schools are listed in 46.03, which would allow a public College to post a valid 30.06 sign, but I overlooked the fact that 46.03 proscribes carry only on the premises of schools (unless there is a school sponsored activity).

Oh hell. Another concern with getting campus carry. Can't just list 46.03(a)(1) in 46.15(b), or state schools could just post 30.06 signs and we'd basically be nowhere. Got to move the school exclusion to 46.02. Good catch.

J. Fred

Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 10, 2011
    Devil's Backbone,RR32
    Texas: Senator Birdwell Introduces Senate Bill 182: Campus Personal Protection Act

This week, Senator Brian Birdwell (R-Granbury) and 13 co-authors filed Senate Bill 182, NRA-backed legislation allowing adult Concealed Handgun Licensees (CHLs) to protect themselves on the campuses of public colleges and universities in Texas. As you may recall, the state Senate passed this legislation as a stand-alone bill in 2009 and as an amendment to a higher education bill in 2011. During both sessions, the full House of Representatives failed to even consider this measure. During that time, high-profile shootings have occurred at the University of Texas at Austin and several blocks from the Texas A&M campus in College Station – both locations classified as 'gun-free zones', but in reality are simply places where CHLs are rendered defenseless against criminals under current law.

SB 182 has not been assigned to a senate committee yet, but NRA-ILA will continue to keep you posted on where it is referred and when it is set for a public hearing. The list of state senators who co-authored this bill can be found here. If your state senator is one of them, please thank him or her for signing onto SB 182. If your state senator is not one, please urge him or her to support this measure.

The House version of this legislation will be filed soon. It will be critical that you contact your state representative once it is introduced and let them know that inaction on this issue for a third session in a row is not acceptable!

Driller

Life Member
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 21, 2011
    Conroe,TX
    If i remember correctly a law was passed in2003 (SB 361?) that does not require chl to obey 30.06 posted by public entities. This is why you can ignore those signs in San Antonio Convention Center.

Sent from my SCH-i705 using Tapatalk 2

jordanmills

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2009
    Pearland, TX
    If i remember correctly a law was passed in2003 (SB 361?) that does not require chl to obey 30.06 posted by public entities. This is why you can ignore those signs in San Antonio Convention Center.

Sent from my SCH-i705 using Tapatalk 2
    We've been discussing that in the thread, dude. Read above.

soada101

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 2, 2012
    Euless, TX
    Looks like they just got a reason why they should carry on campus because of this morning.

Sent from Samsung Galaxy SIII using Tapatalk.

RCK1999

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 13, 2008
    Any thing on open carry back on table.. Or when it will be.?

Quote from American Rifleman magazine article outlining NRA focus: "In Mississippi and Texas we will seek to pass laws allowing for the open carry of firearms, a right enjoyed by millions in other states".

Looks like its on the NRA radar (a good thing).

soada101

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 2, 2012
    Euless, TX
    Quote from American Rifleman magazine article outlining NRA focus: "In Mississippi and Texas we will seek to pass laws allowing for the open carry of firearms, a right enjoyed by millions in other states".

Looks like its on the NRA radar (a good thing).

Maybe it will go through a lot easier since Texas will show that we will can pass better laws and that the 2nd amendment won't be pushed over like it's meaningless . We are already the gun capital. might as well top it off to show them that we will stand against them!

TexasRedneck

1911 Nut
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    New Braunfels, TX
    One word of caution.....with everything else going on - it can take a while. Hell - even with NOTHING else going on, remember the the CHL bill, which wasn't NEARLY as controversial as OC is gonna be (hell - our OWN gun owners wanna tell us how "dangerous" it could be) - so it could take several attempts before something finally comes to pass.

soada101

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 2, 2012
    Euless, TX
    Already? I am sad to hear that. Hope it gets better.

It started at 4am with bro sick and me driving for him. (team rigs) dead tired and nothing going right.
    But this isn't first time OC was introduced. Yr or 2 ago? But regardless its there. I'm just happy about that. Maybe since ok passed it that will help.

RCK1999

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 13, 2008
    It started at 4am with bro sick and me driving for him. (team rigs) dead tired and nothing going right.
    But this isn't first time OC was introduced. Yr or 2 ago? But regardless its there. I'm just happy about that. Maybe since ok passed it that will help.

I'm trying to remember what happened when OC was introduced last session. I'm remembering that it was supported in committee but never made it to the full floor due to time running out (i.e. - left on the cutting room floor). That was with NO NRA involvement. I suspect it will be different this time.

ETA: please correct my memory on last session - you know senior moments and all -------

matefrio

ΔΕΞΑΙ
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2010
    Missouri, Texas Consulate HQ
    I'm trying to remember what happened when OC was introduced last session. I'm remembering that it was supported in committee but never made it to the full floor due to time running out (i.e. - left on the cutting room floor). That was with NO NRA involvement. I suspect it will be different this time.

ETA: please correct my memory on last session - you know senior moments and all -------

I put a summary and history first post here:: http://www.texasguntalk.com/forums/gun-legislation/34488-texas-open-carry-2013-a.html

TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    We're surrounded by states with less restrictive open carry, so hopefully it'll get more traction this time.

I'm trying to remember what happened when OC was introduced last session.
    Joe Straus happened to it is what.

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    1qwerty
    Top Bottom