• Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Keep in mind, it seems that it is only a few people who are in the right place stopping these bills.

Just like open carry, one guy can kill it by simply ignoring it. I hope it costs them next election and their replacement sees the why.

Armybrat

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    Well, you can thank Senator Whitmire again for this.

BTW - At lunchtime on August 1st, 1966 I was cowering behind a car while Charles Whitman did his evil work from the University of Texas Tower. He was pretty effective with that 6mm Remington bolt action rifle.

Sure was glad to hear a LOT of return fire start up from students who were using their deer rifles they kept in
    their dorm rooms & apartments. Sounded like a "Nam firefight we saw on the TV news.

Undoubtedly those armed students saved many lives because it pinned Whitman down so he was restricted to shooting out of the drain spouts in the stone parapet around the observation deck.

Before that, I watched him casually lean over the parapet to pick off a few unsuspecting & clueless people on the ground. All the police had were .38 Special revolvers and a few shotguns.
    Afterwards in the mob scene below the Tower I saw a Texas Ranger with a Thompson submachine gun. Never did hear it firing during the 90 minute gun battle.

"Gun free zones".... my butt.

Last edited:

Army 1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 17, 2008
    Dallas Texas or so
    As I recall, it was students with rifles that held the sniper at UT at bay until the cops got their act together. Of course I could be wrong. I am a man after all.

Armybrat

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    As I recall, it was students with rifles that held the sniper at UT at bay until the cops got their act together. Of course I could be wrong. I am a man after all.

You are basically correct. Two police officers and a civilian (a store manager from the UT Coop) with his own handgun were the ones who finally cornered Whitman on the observation deck - with the two cops unloading on him with a shotgun & service .38 Sp. revolver after the civilian had distracted Whitman by firing a couple shots at him from the other direction.

RPB

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 9, 2009
    Texas
    Campus Carry bill vote tomorrow is on a bill that let's trustees "opt out". IIRC, if opted out, then it does NOT "de-criminalize" but makes crime a Class A/B Misd. which causes loss of CHL plus jail/ attorney fees etc
    (Unlike Virginia Tech where it was NOT a crime, but they could expel you for living through a mass shooting due to being prepared)

@DrewSpringer 13m Quite a few bills on the floor today in the #txlege, tomorrow is gun day! Looking forward to laying out #HB698 and voting on campus carry!

Last edited:

RPB

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 9, 2009
    Texas
    Watch floor amendments ... "I'll rid this dog of it's fleas"
    hope he can ...

===============
    House - Gun Bill Saturday

HB47 - Reduction of CHL class hours
    (SB864) - - passed

HB48 - Removes the requirement to take a renewal class to renew your CHL. - passed

HB485 - Relating to the CHL fee for peace officers and military veterans - passed

HB508 - Creates large civil penalty for governmental entities posting unenforceable 30.06 signs. - - passed

HB698 - Requires DPS to establish an alternative to digital fingerprints by L1 for people living more than 25 miles from L1 - - passed

HB801 - Requires Hunter Education Courses to include warnings about rounds leaving the property; also requires the posting of "School Nearby" signs. - - passed

HB972 - Comprehensive campus-carry. SUPPORT INCLUDING ALL PRO-GUN FLOOR AMENDMENTS--- passed w/ amendments on voice vote 2nd reading ...

HB1009 - Creation of new "school marshal" program. The bill is too narrow and will prevent thousands of volunteers - - passed.

HB1304 - Changes code from "failure to conceal" to intentionally "displays" a handgun;
    SB299 - -- passed

HB1421 - Creates an option to sell certain seized firearms rather than destroy those guns. passed

Toth's Firearms Protection Act #hb1076 passes to 3rd Reading.

HB2665, defeated ...
    HB2665 by Taylor, Van (Relating to the use of a concealed handgun license as valid proof of personal identification. The bill would amend the Business and Commerce Code to stipulate an individual may not deny the holder of a valid concealed handgun license (CHL) access to certain goods, services, or facilities because the holder has or presents a DPS issued CHL rather than a DPS issued driver's license . Dems won't tolerate any bill that says "ID" point of order sustained, so DPS issued CHL isn't as good an ID as a DPS issued Driver License ...

Last edited:

steve-o

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 30, 2011
    Arlington
    HB2665, defeated ...
    HB2665 by Taylor, Van (Relating to the use of a concealed handgun license as valid proof of personal identification. The bill would amend the Business and Commerce Code to stipulate an individual may not deny the holder of a valid concealed handgun license (CHL) access to certain goods, services, or facilities because the holder has or presents a DPS issued CHL rather than a DPS issued driver's license . Dems won't tolerate any bill that says "ID" point of order sustained, so DPS issued CHL isn't as good an ID as a DPS issued Driver License ...

What sense does this make? Anybody can get a DL, you have to have a background check to get a CHL. It's issued by TX DPS, has your picture, address, DOB, DL#, Hair/eye color, sex, weight, height, and an expiration date.

These are acceptable forms of id to vote
    Acceptable Forms of Identification
    For Qualifying V otersJune 2006
    a Texas Voter Registration Certificate is the preferred form ofidentification.
    Acceptable alternatives are:

1. a driver’s license or personal identification card issued by theTexas Department of Public Safety or similar documents fromother states;
    2. a form of identification containing a photograph that establishesa person’s identity (such as an employee identification card);
    3. a birth certificate or other document confirming birth that isadmissible in a court of law and establishes a person’s identity;
    4. United States citizenship papers;
    5. a United States passport;
    6. official mail addressed to the person by name from agovernmental agency;
    7. a copy of a current utility bill, bank statement, governmentcheck, paycheck, or other government document that shows thename and address of the voter; or
    8. any other form of identification presented by the Secretary ofState’s office.

Top Bottom