• ...and so much more!
  • itchin

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 15, 2011
    Corpus Christi, Texas
    I am looking for about 3 cans of r12. Can anyone in or around San Antonio still buy this stuff? If not, does anyone have a can tapper for r12, that I can borrow? I hate to convert to r134a, but will if I can do it on my own. I was told the r12 would need to be sucked out at a shop. Any truth to this? What if i just let it all leak out? I thought this stuff was heavier than air, so I cannot understand how it could harm the ozone. I can buy feeeze 12 on ebay for pretty cheap, but I don't wanna buy a can tapper. So if someone has one that I can borrow, I will go that route. Thanks in advance for any info.
    Capitol Armory ad

hkusp1

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 25, 2009
    DALLAS, TX
    R12 was restricted due to it being harmful to the ozone so venting it into the atmosphere on purpose is a no no. My buddy owns a hvac company and he has a hard time finding it but when he does it's relatively expensive.

scap99

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2010
    Cypress
    You have to recover the R12, drain the mineral oil, flush, and recharge with synthetic oil to convert to R134a

I got a 1# can of R12 left.

Sent without thinking via tapatalk.

scap99

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2010
    Cypress
    Also, I heard that Freeze 12 is a decent drop-in replacement.

If you go 134a, you'll lose some cooling capacity.

rsayloriii

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2009
    H-Town, TX
    Best bet is to top off with R12 if you can get it. Any "replacement" won't be as effective as the system was designed to work with R12. You can still get it at Oreilly Auto Parts for sure ... if you have a license. Last time I bought some I think it was roughly $30/lb can.

itchin

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 15, 2011
    Corpus Christi, Texas
    Great. I cannot find freeze 12 locally but it is available online. I cannot find a tapper with the r12 fitting unless I buy the conversion, and from what I am gathering I cannot do it myself without breaking the law.

rsayloriii

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2009
    H-Town, TX
    Great. I cannot find freeze 12 locally but it is available online. I cannot find a tapper with the r12 fitting unless I buy the conversion, and from what I am gathering I cannot do it myself without breaking the law.

To add R12, you can do it legally yourself IF you have the R12. To convert to anything else, then yes, it is illegal to vent R12 into the atmosphere and you would have to have a licensed shop reclaim the R12. Not sure how much that would cost.

scap99

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2010
    Cypress
    To add R12, you can do it legally yourself IF you have the R12. To convert to anything else, then yes, it is illegal to vent R12 into the atmosphere and you would have to have a licensed shop reclaim the R12. Not sure how much that would cost.

Recover.

Reclaim is when a refinery brings the recovered refrigerant to as close to virgin quality as they can.

If you have a leak, don't let it go flat. Moisture is a nasty thing for a reefer system.

rsayloriii

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2009
    H-Town, TX
    Recover.

Reclaim is when a refinery brings the recovered refrigerant to as close to virgin quality as they can.

If you have a leak, don't let it go flat. Moisture is a nasty thing for a reefer system.

Yes, you are correct. Been a long day on little sleep.

jocat54

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 10, 2011
    Lindale, Texas
    I am looking for about 3 cans of r12. Can anyone in or around San Antonio still buy this stuff? If not, does anyone have a can tapper for r12, that I can borrow? I hate to convert to r134a, but will if I can do it on my own. I was told the r12 would need to be sucked out at a shop. Any truth to this? What if i just let it all leak out? I thought this stuff was heavier than air, so I cannot understand how it could harm the ozone. I can buy feeeze 12 on ebay for pretty cheap, but I don't wanna buy a can tapper. So if someone has one that I can borrow, I will go that route. Thanks in advance for any info.

You will get alot of different opinions on converting from r12 to 134a.....so here's mine... Some say you have to change everything oil, o'rings, hoses, ect.
    I have changed many systems over and just pulled a vacuum on the the system and charged it up with 134a. Some will say it won't work or last, but my old 93 chevy truck has been working like that for over 10 years and some of the others for that long. Not saying it's the right way...just how I have done some.

BTW I was a Master Tech for many years before I retired.

itchin

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 15, 2011
    Corpus Christi, Texas
    This is a 94 jeep. Looks like I can use a compressor from a 95 or newer and fill it with r134. I am not sure how much it would cost though for the used compressor. Plus I don't feel like busting knuckles. It looks like freeze 12 or r12 is going to be the best option. If anyone is able to buy r12 please pm me.

jocat54

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 10, 2011
    Lindale, Texas
    Hey jocat that is what I want to do, but the whole vacuum thing is where I am stumped. I wonder how bad this shit really is on the ozone anyway.

Your going to have to find some one with a vacuum pump (might be able to rent one from auto parts house?)
    You can not legally vent the r12 to the atmosphere.

rsayloriii

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2009
    H-Town, TX
    It's not as simple as just replacing the compressor. It's the entire system. Biggest thing is the condenser. IIRC, with r134a, you need a larger condenser as the molecules are larger than r12. Without the larger condenser, you don't have as efficient heat transfer. That's why the conversions don't cool as well as the original.

Sent from my RobCo Pip-Boy 3000.

alexrex20

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 26, 2011
    This is a 94 jeep. Looks like I can use a compressor from a 95 or newer and fill it with r134. I am not sure how much it would cost though for the used compressor. Plus I don't feel like busting knuckles. It looks like freeze 12 or r12 is going to be the best option. If anyone is able to buy r12 please pm me.

Some '94 Jeeps are also forward compatible to R134a. Pop the hood and check your AC lines. If your access ports are screw-on type, then it's R12 only. If you have the quick-connect type, then it's R134a compatible.

Top Bottom