• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 35Remington

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    Way out here
    TXInvestigator, I tried to PM you about this, but running out of time.

I'm working today in downtown Austin. Someone else drove, and my luggage is in their trunk here in a private parking garage. Also my rifle, in its case (unloaded; ammo in luggage). My wife is on her way to pick me up.

Is it legal for me to walk to the parking garage, get my luggage and rifle, and walk to the street corner where she will pick me up?

It's sad that I even have to ask that question, but I guess I'm scared of how litigious we have become.
    Military Camp

35Remington

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    Way out here
    Just finished reading the Texas Penile* Code and City of Austin Ordinances. Can't find anything that prohibits what I need to do.

If it didn't cost $5 to drive in/out of the parking garage, I'd just have my wife pull in there and go trunk-to-trunk.

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    Just finished reading the Texas Penile* Code and City of Austin Ordinances. Can't find anything that prohibits what I need to do.

If it didn't cost $5 to drive in/out of the parking garage, I'd just have my wife pull in there and go trunk-to-trunk.

City ordinances don't matter. Texas state law preempts all local ordinances on firearms, and prevents local governments from making their own laws about firearms.

deemus

my mama says I'm special
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    DFW
    Penal Code....Penile Code is something very different.

Perhaps a Freudian slip? This could be some insight into Rem35's lifestyle? You know, "penile code" and then his wife picking him up at a hotel? Where he had a suitcase and a gun?

Makes you wonder...

CZ guy

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Left of Galveston Bay
    It is about the same actually. You can't have that out in a threatening manner either.

Would that be classed as Assault With a Dead Weapon?

Just an observation and comment: If I was possibly going to engage in an activity that could get me thrown into jail, I'd call the police department and ask them, not wait for a bunch of people on a gun forum to answer....with possible bad information. Austin PD is really too busy to track you down off caller ID and give you grief.

Also, I will add that I am reluctant to give legal advise but here is something to consider. A city ordinance in some instances, MAY be the rule to go by. City ordinances relating to Traffic law, as an example, cannot be less restrictive than state law but can be MORE restrictive.

matefrio

ΔΕΞΑΙ
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2010
    Missouri, Texas Consulate HQ
    Would that be classed as Assault With a Dead Weapon?

Just an observation and comment: If I was possibly going to engage in an activity that could get me thrown into jail, I'd call the police department and ask them, not wait for a bunch of people on a gun forum to answer....with possible bad information. Austin PD is really too busy to track you down off caller ID and give you grief.

Also, I will add that I am reluctant to give legal advise but here is something to consider. A city ordinance in some instances, MAY be the rule to go by. City ordinances relating to Traffic law, as an example, cannot be less restrictive than state law but can be MORE restrictive.

See post #14 above on city ordinances.

CZ guy

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Left of Galveston Bay
    See post #14 above on city ordinances.

I posted what I did to remind the readers that state law does not ALWAYS trump city ordinances. Take fireworks for instance, what the state says is legal to possess and use can, and often are, made illegal by cities or counties. Also, an ordinance in the city I retired from states:

Any person who shall possess any gun, pistol, firearm of any description, bow and arrow, or any like device in a public park within the city, shall be guilty of a misdemeanor.

I hope when someone here decides to challenge a city ordinance by telling the nice police officer state law comes first, I'm there to video it. I'm positive it'll be on America's Funny Video!

35Remington

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    Way out here

Experience has taught me that calling the police dept usually results in a lot of this:

Me: "Can I walk from the parking garage to the street with my rifle?"
    Dispatcher: "I'm not sure. Let me transfer you to Street Patrol."
    Street Patrol: "Probably not. I'll transfer you to Homicide."
    Homicide: "Are you downtown? You need to talk to Metro."
    Metro: "I don't know. You probably shouldn't do it. Did you talk to Homicide?"

Penal Code....Penile Code is something very different.

Thanks, but I've got a pretty good grasp of the English language. That's what the asterisk was for.

Top Bottom