can i go to the range?

ethanm1

Nov 25, 2008
im 18...im not real sure if i ve understood the law like its supposed to be...so, can i take my dads handguns to the range? (legally of course)

kingofwylietx

Well-Known
Feb 29, 2008
DFW area.....Wylie.
I never realized that you had to be 21 to buy handgun ammo. It's an odd law.

Speaking of odd laws.....we drove to the ranch a couple of years ago and stopped at the Super Walmart for supplies on our way in (approx 3am). I went to get ammo and could only buy rifle ammo at that hour. They said that they couldn't sell handgun ammo until something like 6am. How odd. I had to go back the next day for handgun ammo. To add salt to my wound, when I asked for 9mm and 45acp, the guy asked if it was for a rifle or handgun. I guess now, if I had said it was for a rifle......the would have sold it to me?

Texas1911

TGT Addict
May 29, 2017
Austin, TX
I've been told by a Walmart employee that it was state and federal law that they couldn't sell ammo past 10 PM. Then we went to another Walmart and the Asst. Manager sold us ammo without a fuss, at 12:30 AM.

SIG_Fiend

Administrator
TGT Supporter
Admin
Feb 21, 2008
Austin, TX
Yeah most places like Walmart give the BS excuse that it's a "state or federal law" which is incorrect. That is probably just that particular store's policy.

By yourself, probably not. Most ranges require you to be 21 or older if by yourself. If you get someone 21 or over to take you then there won't be any issues.

DirtyD

Well-Known
Sep 20, 2008
Spring
went to buy some 22 LR the other day and the register prompted the cashier to ask if it was for a rifle or handgun, she was didnt believe me when I told her that if I said rifle it would ask if I was 18, pistol it would ask if I was 21.... so she rang up a box as pistol, asked if I was 21....

Texan2

TGT Addict
Nov 8, 2008
South of San Antonio
went to buy some 22 LR the other day and the register prompted the cashier to ask if it was for a rifle or handgun, she was didnt believe me when I told her that if I said rifle it would ask if I was 18, pistol it would ask if I was 21.... so she rang up a box as pistol, asked if I was 21....
That hilarious...

Support

Sponsors

Greeneye Tactical
silencers
third coast
DK Firearms
Tyrant Designs
Ranier
Shroud
Every Day Man

Latest posts