• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • johnnydangerousilly

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 3, 2011
    austin
    my car is broken, but i have a motorcycle. my car is still broken because i bankrupted myself buying a mosin nagant (napolian dynamite "idiot!"). now all i want to do is make my way to the range to spend my hard earned pesos dialing in my "new to me" rifle, but i dont want to be pulled over. can i ride my motorcycle with my gun if i remove the bolt action and the gun is empty? do i have to remove the bayonet? i may well be an idiot for even asking, but better that than to just sit and wonder.
    Venture Surplus ad

TexasRedneck

1911 Nut
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    New Braunfels, TX
    There's no legal reason you have to remove the bolt - I would remove the bayonet simply because if you go down, you don't want that pigsticker spinnin' around an' implantin' itself into your favorite 'nads. Having said that.....you MAY get pulled over and asked what you're doing, so just be prepared and stay calm. Personally, I'd be reluctant to do it, but only because something like a large plastic bag could become lodged onto the upper part of the rifle, resulting in some unusual wind-loading, which could cause you some balance problems.

johnnydangerousilly

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 3, 2011
    austin
    took the bayonet off tonight:( she looks naked. will probably be more accurate... i'm going to tie a bag over the end in case of rain or something. thinking i should tie it to the bike, but would it be unlawful to use the sling? i know the grey areas are kinda weird in the area of a motorcycle and there may be something that i'm misinterpreting. from what i understand, as long as i dont stop anywhere else, or get off the bike in anyway, i should be cool right?

Clockwork

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2010
    San Antonio, TX
    If I saw a dude rolling down the highway on a motorcycle with a Mosin Nagant strapped to their back I would think to myself, "Now there goes a manly man."

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    If I saw a dude rolling down the highway on a motorcycle with a Mosin Nagant strapped to their back I would think to myself, "Now there goes a manly man."

Despite the legalities, you gotta ask yourself if riding down the road with a rifle slung over your should is a smart thing to do!

Seriously, you might want to consider a rifle bag to put that Mosin in while on your motorcycle. All it takes is one uninformed and panicking citizen to call 911, and you're gonna be in for a bad day.

You probably won't be arrested (unless your local PD are real idiots) but most likely they will stop and question you, and that stop won't be a cordial one. All they'll be going on is a frantic motorist screaming "there is a man with a rifle on the freeway!" :1zhelp:

Cheers! M2

nalioth

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2008
    Houston Metro
    took the bayonet off tonight:( she looks naked. will probably be more accurate... i'm going to tie a bag over the end in case of rain or something. thinking i should tie it to the bike, but would it be unlawful to use the sling? i know the grey areas are kinda weird in the area of a motorcycle and there may be something that i'm misinterpreting. from what i understand, as long as i dont stop anywhere else, or get off the bike in anyway, i should be cool right?
    There is no "unlawful" about this .

You can carry your rifle or shotgun loaded or unloaded, slung or in hand anywhere firearms are not proscribed (polling places on voting day, etc).

Texas isn't Massachusetts or New Jersey with laws on every niggling aspect of gun ownership.

Legally, you can stop along the way, have a picnic, or whatever and then continue your journey.

Texas doesn't have any laws specifically regulating rifles or shotguns, other than the general firearms laws (noted above).

As has been mentioned, "being legal" isn't going to prevent Bonnie Bliss-Ninny from calling the cops because she's doing what the TV taught her . . .

. . . but carrying a rifle on a motorcycle, slung (or strapped) and loaded (or empty) isn't illegal in Texas.

jocat54

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 10, 2011
    Lindale, Texas

Not a chance in hell right now.

TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    How do you bankrupt yourself by buying a mosin

I say sling it over your shoulder and go. It's not illegal, but you'll probably get pulled over. Shouldn't be an issue, tho.

johnnydangerousilly

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 3, 2011
    austin
    lol. i'm cutting my budgets close this month. as for the rain, if we all go wash our cars tomorrow, maybe we'll get a little bit? i'll find something to put it in. i dont have a bag yet, but definitely a worth while investment if i want to keep this thing in as great a shape as it's in.

Mexican_Hippie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 4, 2009
    Fort Worth
    I do it all the time. Pics for proof.

i061738.jpg

Mexican_Hippie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 4, 2009
    Fort Worth
    In all seriousness, we had one bike at the ranch with a rifle scabbard like the one on the right. If you're broke maybe it's not an option, but it is something worth thinking about for the future.

custpx1c.jpg custpx97.jpg

Mexican_Hippie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 4, 2009
    Fort Worth
    Warning: Unlike motorcycles, horses require training. If you shoot off of a horse it will throw your ass off and leave you in the middle of BFE to walk back if it isn't properly trained to shoot off of. Most likely you will land in cactus and it will suck walking miles and miles back to the house while picking thorns out. Not that it's ever happened to me.

TexasRedneck

1911 Nut
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    New Braunfels, TX
    Warning: Unlike motorcycles, horses require training. If you shoot off of a horse it will throw your ass off and leave you in the middle of BFE to walk back if it isn't properly trained to shoot off of. Most likely you will land in cactus and it will suck walking miles and miles back to the house while picking thorns out. Not that it's ever happened to me.

Warning: Gringo's know this already - others require learning the hard way..... anim_lol.jpg

Ranger60

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2008
    Taylor
    Example, a friend and I were outside a Starbucks, driinking coffee and had 2 AR lowers on the table, no ammo, no uppers. Someone called it in, 3 cruisers responded. Legal means nothing when a "man with a gun" is called in. Discretion is best. Good thing was the officer that approached us was knowledgeable, friendly and professional. After checking our IDs and we informed him we had CHLs and were armed, he just asked us to put the lowers in our vehicles.

nalioth

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2008
    Houston Metro
    The way I understand the law, you can carry a loaded long gun anywhere a CHL holder can carry concealed.

Actually, you can carry a long gun (loaded or unloaded, hidden or open) in more places than a CHL holder can carry a handgun.

The carriage of long guns is not restricted by 30.06 or TABC signage.

Top Bottom