Gun Zone Deals

Can someone explain the 30.06 posting...

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ROGER4314

Been Called "Flash" Since I Was A Kid!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    I try to obey the law and if a 30.06 sign is properly posted, I will abide by that. I'm also very careful about my carry gun in banks, the post office and public buildings. Some folks may skate on that for a quick run into the post office etc.....I don't. I do it by the book every time.

Hey TXI....welcome back. Your input was missed!

Flash

ZX9RCAM

Over the Rainbow bridge...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    I try to obey the law and if a 30.06 sign is properly posted, I will abide by that. I'm also very careful about my carry gun in banks, the post office and public buildings. Some folks may skate on that for a quick run into the post office etc.....I don't. I do it by the book every time.

Hey TXI....welcome back. Your input was missed!

Flash

???

I did not know there was a problem with this if not posted?

Driller

Life Member
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 21, 2011
    Conroe,TX
    I was in line at the teller when the lady in front of me says "that guy in the next line has a gun in his briefcase". I lean over to her and say "mine is bigger".

Driller

Life Member
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 21, 2011
    Conroe,TX
    She seemed nervous and I could see that the guy next to us was just another CHL taking care of business. I was trying to put a little humor to ease her anxiety.

Texas1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    The last part is incorrect. Unless the notice complies with the requirements of 30.06 a person cannot be criminally charged. Non compliant notice to an employee CAN result in the person being terminated.

If you've been given notice (verbal or written) that carry is not allowed, then you are trespassing and can be charged, but does the written statute have to comply with 30.06 also?

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 17, 2010
    Austin
    If you've been given notice (verbal or written) that carry is not allowed, then you are trespassing and can be charged, but does the written notice have to comply with 30.06 also?
    Yes it does.

(b) For purposes of this section, a person receives notice if the owner of the property or someone with apparent authority to act for the owner provides notice to the person by oral or written communication.
    (c) In this section:
    (1) "Entry" has the meaning assigned by Section 30.05(b).
    (2) "License holder" has the meaning assigned by Section 46.035(f).
    (3) "Written communication" means:
    (A) a card or other document on which is written language identical to the following: "Pursuant to Section 30.06, Penal Code (trespass by holder of license to carry a concealed handgun), a person licensed under Subchapter H, Chapter 411, Government Code (concealed handgun law), may not enter this property with a concealed handgun"; or
    (B) a sign posted on the property that:
    (i) includes the language described by Paragraph (A) in both English and Spanish;
    (ii) appears in contrasting colors with block letters at least one inch in height; and
    (iii) is displayed in a conspicuous manner clearly visible to the public.

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 17, 2010
    Austin
    It's not against the law for me to show up to a job interview in a speedo, but I can say it's not the most applicable thing to do if I want to gain their employment.

Not thinking about job interviews. Several people in this thread suggest that even invalid signs should be obeyed. If someone posts an invalid 30.06 I will ignore it. Wouldn't you?

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    If you've been given notice (verbal or written) that carry is not allowed, then you are trespassing and can be charged, but does the written statute have to comply with 30.06 also?

Yes. The law is the same for everyone, employees and non-employees. Unless the written notice is 30.06 compliant a peson cannot be charged under 30.06. ANY verbal notice suffices.

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    Not thinking about job interviews. Several people in this thread suggest that even invalid signs should be obeyed. If someone posts an invalid 30.06 I will ignore it. Wouldn't you?

I do in a non-employer/employee relationship. Since I value my job, I comply with non-30.06 notice in the workplace, but that is strictly MY personal choice.

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 17, 2010
    Austin
    I do in a non-employer/employee relationship. Since I value my job, I comply with non-30.06 notice in the workplace, but that is strictly MY personal choice.
    Right, but that's also not what I was thinking. This was my comment:
    Also, the sign must be perfect or it does not apply. One wrong letter makes it meaningless. Also, if the property is owned or leased by the government the sign does not apply (unless the location is specifically listed in 46.035)

Many people new to CHL carry don't realize a 30.06 sign has to be perfect or it can be ignored, and that most government buildings cannot post applicable 30.06 signs. But, I think it is important for everyone to understand this.

Chupacabra Hunter

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 26, 2009
    Corpus Christi TX
    1) You cannot carry inside the building without a CHL.
    2) A CHL holder cannot carry inside of a building marked with a proper 30.06 sign.
    3) The business cannot take legal action against you, but you can be arrested and put in jail and have your rights to a CHL revoked for disobeying #2.
    4) As an employee, the handbook or posted policies of the company serve as your notice. They don't have to post 30.06 to prevent their employees from carrying.

If you feel that carrying inside the building is worth risking your job, CHL, and jail time over, then I would highly recommend finding a more hospitable work environment.

Am I reading your post correctly? Do point #1 and point #2 contradict?

Renegade

SuperOwner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 5, 2008
    Texas
    Am I reading your post correctly? Do point #1 and point #2 contradict?

It is a little confusing.

1) You cannot carry inside the building without a CHL. Generally, without a CHL you cannot carry anywhere, except for a few unrestricted places.

2) A CHL holder cannot carry inside of a building marked with a proper 30.06 sign. Can't carry outside the building either.

ZX9RCAM

Over the Rainbow bridge...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    It is a little confusing.

2) A CHL holder cannot carry inside of a building marked with a proper 30.06 sign. Can't carry outside the building either.

I can't walk up to the door, see the sign & then say, sit on a bench on the sidewalk for a little while?

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Love to shoot
    Top Bottom