Patriot Mobile

Can we do a greater Houston area Gun shop thread?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • smittyb

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Nov 12, 2009
    Cut N Shoot
    Stopped at Texas Shooters Supply on the way home today. Located about a mile south of 242 on 1485. I think the place used to be an auto body shop.
    If youve been to the Conroe gun show, you have seen their wares. They are always at a table on the North wall, a few tables down on the left when you enter the doors. Always chocked full of AK's and Saiga's for large amounts of money.
    They have obviously just moved in to the place, as there is stuff scattered about in multiple rooms. I heard the guy say they were going to knock down a wall and open the place up to make a showroom this weekend. They had AR's and Saiga's hanging on the walls, and quite a few uppers and lowers of various configurations laying about. He said they use all Anderson MFG uppers, lowers, and parts kits. Priced a stripped lower at $65, and transfers for 25 PER gun.
    Anybody else had any experience dealing with em?

Jakashh

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 30, 2010
    Sugar Land
    Been meaning to check out GtoG gun range in Rosenberg. Opened recently. Bunch of former coworkers work there, great guys.

It's also a range.

bowserb

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 12, 2011
    Houston, TX USA
    No list for the greater metro area would be complete without Tomball Pawn, 14011 FM 2920 Rd, Tomball TX 77377. Based on the traffic I see in there over the last few years, it seems to have morphed into basically a gun shop with a few display cases of jewelry and old tools attached.
    The traffic in there is not what it used to be. My last dealings with them told me why. You won't see my car parked out front there again, and I must not be alone, because the last three times I passed by there, all the spaces directly in front of the store were empty. I guess you could recommend the place for its convenient parking.

Last edited:

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    The traffic in there is not what it used to be. My last dealings with them told me why.
    It had been some time since I'd been there when I posted that and it's been 9 months since I did, so I'm a bit in the dark about what's changed. However, what you say is true. I went in there last week and there was parking right in front. That used to never be the case. But I didn't actually deal with them since there was nothing weird to catch my eye in the used guns.

I've read that their transfer fees have gone through the roof but the place looked the same, except for the lack of traffic. So, what did your last dealings with them tell you that's different from the way I remember (all good) from years ago?

MetalCutter

Life is too short for cheap cigars!
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 20, 2014
    The Woodlands, TX
    The traffic in there is not what it used to be. My last dealings with them told me why. You won't see my car parked out front there again, and I must not be along, because the last three times I passed by there, all the spaces directly in front of the store were empty. I guess you could recommend the place for its convenient parking.

Just completed a deal there two weeks ago. Got a good deal, staff was pleasant and place was crowded. No issues for me.

Jakashh

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 30, 2010
    Sugar Land
    Got email today they have final inspection tomorrow hope to officially open next week.
    Bout Damn time. One of their employees who used to work for us came by wednesday and I asked him when it's opening. He had no idea.

The whole reason it got delayed so long was because their A/C guy changed one thing from the blueprint and therefore they had to reinspect it all over again.

karlac

Lately too damn busy to have Gone fishin' ...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Houston & Hot Springs
    Bout Damn time. One of their employees who used to work for us came by wednesday and I asked him when it's opening. He had no idea.

The whole reason it got delayed so long was because their A/C guy changed one thing from the blueprint and therefore they had to reinspect it all over again.

Ventilation being extremely important in an indoor facility like that, I can appreciate that any changes from spec with HVAC would cause a hitch in the giddyup.

bowserb

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 12, 2011
    Houston, TX USA
    It had been some time since I'd been there when I posted that and it's been 9 months since I did, so I'm a bit in the dark about what's changed. However, what you say is true. I went in there last week and there was parking right in front. That used to never be the case. But I didn't actually deal with them since there was nothing weird to catch my eye in the used guns.

I've read that their transfer fees have gone through the roof but the place looked the same, except for the lack of traffic. So, what did your last dealings with them tell you that's different from the way I remember (all good) from years ago?
    Went in and looked at a Sig P227. $859, so I said I'll think about it. Called back the next day (Wednesday) and said I believe I'm interested, how many do you have; I'll come by on Friday. Hank says "We had two when you were here. Now we have one. Do you want us to hold it til Friday?" I'll call back. I did ten minutes later and Hank was gone for the day, so I spoke with Mike the owner. "Yes, I'll put it on the hold shelf for you." Want a credit card? "No." I've bought maybe five guns from them before this, so they know I'm real.

Went on Friday. Oh, I guess we sold it. I can order one. OK be sure and specify the exact version (there are 3 or 4). No problem, they'll know what I want. Next week. You guessed it. They ordered the wrong gun, and the one that they got, they also raised the price from the week before.

That place is a 40 mile cross town drive for me. It used to be worth it...it's not any more. Many shops on the I-10 corridor. Many more still closer than Tomball. Their selection is not what I remember it being either. I asked about a S&W M&P45 4", and all they had was the compact. No Beretta PX4 Storm. And so on. The advantage of buying from a local store is you can see and feel what the gun is like before you buy. If they don't have it, and they can't order it correctly, why bother? Might as well use Grabagun or Gunbroker and at least save a few bucks. Or find a better shop. That's my plan.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    Anybody can screw up like that (twice, in your circumstances) but feeling like they can get away with raising the price on you because of their screwup is very, very bad customer service. If you have reasonable choices closer to you, there's no reason to drive all the way to Tomball. Thanks for the additional info.

A new pawn shop opened near me and I plan to drop in tomorrow. If they're an FFL I'll add them to this thread along with my impressions.

bowserb

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 12, 2011
    Houston, TX USA
    Anybody can screw up like that (twice, in your circumstances) but feeling like they can get away with raising the price on you because of their screwup is very, very bad customer service. If you have reasonable choices closer to you, there's no reason to drive all the way to Tomball. Thanks for the additional info.

A new pawn shop opened near me and I plan to drop in tomorrow. If they're an FFL I'll add them to this thread along with my impressions.
    Shame on me for going back anyway. Tomball Pawn pulled that price thing on a Mossberg 20-gauge a while back. Gave me a price, ordered, then brought it up with $20 higher. I squawked and they fixed it. Should have been a warning. Oh well, fool me once... Eventually even a slow learner like me catches on.

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Love to shoot
    Top Bottom