Target Sports

Can you build your own suppressor in Texas?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • makenzie71

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2015
    Anyone familiar with trusts? Of course you are.

Right now it seems as though a trust will cost me about $200 to setup plus the notary fees for the people I want on it...just not in the budget at the moment, so I'm looking setting up my suppressor as "just me". If I transfer it into the trust I intend to make in the future does that mean a new $200 stamp?
    Capitol Armory ad

kfog

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 28, 2009
    Houston
    Yes it does. I used one of the online trust sites, was like $40 for the DIY one or $80 (?) for one where a paralegal sets it up for you. Mine is set up with beneficiaries, etc.

For suppressors, and hopefully a couple sbr's, I'm ok with what I have. If I ever venture into MG's where the investment is in the tens of thousands I'll probably set up a trust through an attorney.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kfog

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 28, 2009
    Houston
    Kfog, you have not drilled out both end caps yet, right???

Only have one end cap at the moment, waiting on my Ti YHM adapter from the machine shop. Other end cap is not drilled, not worth the risk (however small it may be).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

duckknot

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 26, 2013
    Leander, TX
    I have a lathe. I have all the required tools. I have the machining knowledge. I want it registered (if required) and I want to apply for the tax stamp. I just don't want to buy a $500~800 multi-cal suppressor when I can make one for $50 in materials and time. I'm just unclear about whether this is allowed and what steps must be taken. Like, if it is allowed, do I manufacture the suppressor and THEN register it/get the stamp?
    Can you make me one?

sent from wait...where am I!?

TX69

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 23, 2012
    DFW
    Whatever happened to taking a can of tennis balls, wrapping the hell out of it with duct tape and taping it to the end of your barrel. Doesn't that work?

duckknot

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 26, 2013
    Leander, TX
    Whatever happened to taking a can of tennis balls, wrapping the hell out of it with duct tape and taping it to the end of your barrel. Doesn't that work?
    Two stamps....one for the tube and one for the profuse use of duct tape!

sent from wait...where am I!?

makenzie71

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2015
    I can do it like sdtactical arms and make "solvent traps" and parts that people can buy and modify slightly to make a suppressor. I bet if we make it popular enough the ATF will ban freeze plugs.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Disagree. Not much a market for used cans. I have had buddies try and sell, they usually get raped in the process, even on what was the best they could buy at the time. We need a few makers producing inexpensive cans to get more into this area of the sport. Hopefully that will drive the price down farther.

My examples are of how that market is overpriced for the product they are producing. You can't believe the Europeans have figured out how to make cans cheap and we have not, can you?? Plus they have been more popular over there for a lot longer than it has here.

I have never had a problem with weight. While it is nice to have a quieter can, sometimes it is not necessary.

Like I said about silencer snobs, they always come out.

Kfog, you have not drilled out both end caps yet, right???

Lol, I'm no snob.

Hell, I've got 1 can and 1 waiting. My first can I got approved a month ago and I got an Evolution 9mm for $300. I must be the cheapest snob ever.

In it sure why you disagree on the used can market. I said pretty much the same thing.

makenzie71

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2015
    tangent ~

Has anyone seen an offset suppressor? I'm considering the idea (since I'm going to be making my own anyway) because I don't like how a 1.5" tube would cover my sights.

Acera

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 17, 2011
    Republic of Texas
    tangent ~

Has anyone seen an offset suppressor? I'm considering the idea (since I'm going to be making my own anyway) because I don't like how a 1.5" tube would cover my sights.

Yes, plenty of them out there.

Maxim_1911.jpg

delislecarbine.jpg

OXbaowt.jpg

TX69

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 23, 2012
    DFW
    Not without a can of them and the tape

[video]https://youtu.be/yaKxpXYQJT4[/video]

TX69

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 23, 2012
    DFW
    Long and strange video but interesting none the less

[video]https://youtu.be/Wq3NORwXJ78[/video]

Mike_from_Texas

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 10, 2010
    North Texas
    I don't see the advantage to it. The reason the suppressor companies charge more $ is because they have things like overhead cost items. Cost of work if you will. I would imagine the liability insurance alone for manufacturing something like this is pretty dang expensive. The average guy out there making and selling someone thing like this could easily be financially ruined if one of their products had a failure and someone was injured or even worse killed. Then they have the cost of employees, building, machines, advertising, taxes, etc. Not to mention R&D, engineers/draftsmen, etc, and all of the fees and hoops to pay to manufacture something like this.

Top Bottom