DK Firearms

Can you build your own suppressor in Texas?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • makenzie71

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2015
    I might take up the idea of manufacturing a can, though...because a can with a picatinny rail sounds cool and no one seems to make them. The can will obscure sights on a lot of guns...it would be convenient to have the option of mounting a sight directly on the can so that it doesn't have to be used when the can isn't present. Holographics or lasers or something. I can't stand either on a pistol, but if I can't sight then I have no choice.

ZX9RCAM

Over the Rainbow bridge...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    I might take up the idea of manufacturing a can, though...because a can with a picatinny rail sounds cool and no one seems to make them. The can will obscure sights on a lot of guns...it would be convenient to have the option of mounting a sight directly on the can so that it doesn't have to be used when the can isn't present. Holographics or lasers or something. I can't stand either on a pistol, but if I can't sight then I have no choice.

All my can hosts have taller sights...

makenzie71

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2015
    I'm looking at taller sights, though...I just don't like the idea of having 5/8" high sights just to clear the can with my PPX. I will likely be looking at a laser for when the can is mounted.

HandgunHTR

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 10, 2014
    I'm looking at taller sights, though...I just don't like the idea of having 5/8" high sights just to clear the can with my PPX. I will likely be looking at a laser for when the can is mounted.

Actually, it is pretty easy to learn how to sight "through" your can with the regular pistol sights. The longest distance most shoot a defensive pistol is @ 25 yards and at that distance the can doesn't cover the target, so you can still use your regular sights and align them with the top of the can to hit center mass. Unless, of course, you are concerned about shooting bug-holes with your SDW, which is a bit asinine in its own right.

Oh, and if you ever get around to making some stainless steel "funnels" that just happen to slide into a 1.375" ID tube and have enough meat at the bottom of the funnel area to be bored out to .36-.375", I would be interested in purchasing about 8 of them. :)

Last edited:

makenzie71

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2015
    1.375? Maybe that's why my freeze plugs didn't fit. I'm using a Craftsman light that looks identical to the mag but is 1.370 inside. Oh well.

I sat down with pen and paper earlier wondering about how I could mill some baffles that would not be materially wasteful AND easy to machine out. I couldn't conjure up anything. Milling them all out of bar stock it takes 1" of material, minimum, per baffle. Then there's a large amount of milling to dish the bafflers. Then boring. But THEN you have to space them which is another set of rings. It would be an intensive piece of work to do manually and a lot of waste since that material wouldn't be easily recoverable.

So yeah: Labor intensive, materially wasteful. On top of that, likely kind of heavy. I'm not even considering the actual cost of materials and labor since I'm doing this with scrap and it's mostly my labor.

I wanted to reduce all of these things and prioritized things.

I started with the easiest: Weight. Easy. The inside will be milled from a cast alloy of AA 3004, 3104, 3204, 5082, and/or 5182 aluminum. Why? Because I drink enough soda every month to supply the materials for smelting.

That incidentally also corrects the materially wasteful portion because aluminum is easier to recover and reuse.

So, that leaves labor intensive. Aluminum helps with that since it's a lot easier to mill and it could be cast with most of the material slated for removal already gone. Maybe. I'm playing with this casting idea. If I cast a solid bar I can oversize it and turn it down to fit the sleeve perfectly, and then I can have it bored perfectly for whatever caliber I'm going with...I could have it bored a pretty even 3/8" all the way through. With this, even if I have to make individual funnels as with commercial stock it's still much less labor intensive since it's easier to turn the material.

So that's what I'm working on trying to figure out right now: how to cast a bullet muffler.

Top Bottom