• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • gll

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    OK, stupid question... Is the usb drive you are trying to boot from actually bootable? Can another machine boot from it?
    Military Camp

gll

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    First sentence of first post. I gots the grouchies now.
    I read that, and still wondered whether you had tested it in another machine, like today maybe? Be as grouchy as you like, ain't hurting me...

DubiousDan

Trump 2024
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 22, 2010
    San Antonio
    What about this:

What if I were to make an ISO of the Win 10 Disc I want to use with the install files on it

Then use RUFUS the turn the SSD HD I want to use into a bootable drive using the ISO

And then replace the current HD with the new bootable HD with the Win 10 install files on it, would that work?

DubiousDan

Trump 2024
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 22, 2010
    San Antonio
    I read that, and still wondered whether you had tested it in another machine, like today maybe? Be as grouchy as you like, ain't hurting me...
    I've used it on several computers but on all of them I was able to chose which drive the system boot from.

no2gates

These are not the droids you're looking for.
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 31, 2013
    Grand Prairie, TX
    I'm assuming you're pressing the F12 key to get to the boot menu?
    One program I use to backup hard drives as an image is called backupper. The free version works pretty well. I've used the free version for about a year, and finally bought the paid version ( when it was on sale). You can make a bootable USB for it too so you can do a bare-metal restore.

DubiousDan

Trump 2024
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 22, 2010
    San Antonio
    I'm assuming you're pressing the F12 key to get to the boot menu?
    One program I use to backup hard drives as an image is called backupper. The free version works pretty well. I've used the free version for about a year, and finally bought the paid version ( when it was on sale). You can make a bootable USB for it too so you can do a bare-metal restore.
    Apparently this system can't use a bootable USB and what I want to do most is install Win 10 Pro and get not use the Win 10 Home that came with it.

Does Backupper work within Windows instead of BIOS?

no2gates

Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 31, 2013
    Grand Prairie, TX
    Apparently this system can't use a bootable USB and what I want to do most is install Win 10 Pro and get not use the Win 10 Home that came with it.

It will work both in Windows as well as from a bootable USB stick.

rotor

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 1, 2015
    Texas
    BIOS, System setup.......
    "USB ConfigurationEnable Boot SupportEnables or disables booting from USB mass storage devices such as externalhard drive, optical drive, and USB drive.Enable External USB PortsEnables or disables USB ports to be functional in an operating systemenvironment"
    From manual.

no2gates

Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 31, 2013
    Grand Prairie, TX

I just looked it up and Dell site mentions booting from the USB for flashing the BIOS, so it must be capable of booting to USB.
    The company I work for has had thousands of Dell machines and every one I've seen allows booting from USB. Granted I have not seen that model in person, but I've worked with over 40 different model Dell machines from servers, to workstations, to desktops, to laptops.

rotor

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 1, 2015
    Texas
    My posts #31 and #33 are wrong. For a different 5500 not 5505. According to manual though f12 immediately while turning on computer should take you to a boot menu choice. To enter bios you hit f2. Have you tried f12

DubiousDan

Trump 2024
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 22, 2010
    San Antonio
    My posts #31 and #33 are wrong. For a different 5500 not 5505. According to manual though f12 immediately while turning on computer should take you to a boot menu choice. To enter bios you hit f2. Have you tried f12
    I updated the bios when I got the computer. Yes I've been to the boot menu(F12).

boot.jpg

oldag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2015
    Have you tried calling Dell?

If you bought this from their business division, the support is pretty good. Consumer, be prepared for a long wait and questionable help.

Top Bottom