robertc1024

Staff member
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 22, 2013
    San Marcos
    Maybe I was a bit harsh earlier. In carrying a gun, I've made the decision to protect myself and my family. Hence the decision to carry one chambered. I know full well that one shot against a bad guy will cost me 10 grand, but the consequences of that are trivial in comparison to losing a loved one.
    ARJ Defense ad

V-Tach

Watching While the Sheep Graze
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 30, 2012
    Texas
    I never put batteries in my flashlight till I need it.............

Doesn't make sense............

For those who make a conscious decision for whatever reason not to carry a chambered round, I have no problem with their decision.......for me however,

1911 cocked and locked...always.....

robertc1024

Staff member
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 22, 2013
    San Marcos
    I never put batteries in my flashlight till I need it.............

Doesn't make sense............

For those who make a conscious decision for whatever reason not to carry a chambered round, I have no problem with their decision.......for me however,

1911 cocked and locked...always.....
    Yes Sir. Hollow points too.

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    I do, however, leave my HD nightstand gun out without one in the chamber. I also have a 3 year old running around and that was the best compromise I could come up with to make sure he was safe. He has been taught not to touch it and isn't strong enough to rack the slide if he could even figure out how.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk
    You are taking a huge and dangerous gamble. Get a quick access safe.

minideluxe_pg.jpg

Also, if you don't practice picking that gun up and racking the slide every time you shoot it, you are unlikely to remember to do it when under stress and half asleep.

Mreed911

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Apr 18, 2013
    Austin, TX
    Having talked to more than a few people who carry without a chamber round. I wanted to see if there was a point of view I haven't considered.

Generally, those are people who don't trust themselves or their gun and believe they'll have time and motor skills to rack a slide when it matters.

Generally, they're wrong.

Practice. Get familiar enough with your gun to trust it and yourself with it. It will save your life if you make it.

fishingsetx

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 15, 2015
    You are taking a huge and dangerous gamble. Get a quick access safe.

minideluxe_pg.jpg

Also, if you don't practice picking that gun up and racking the slide every time you shoot it, you are unlikely to remember to do it when under stress and half asleep.

Not trying to be argumentative. Genuinely curious.

Can you elaborate on this being a huge and dangerous gamble?

Also, after spending plenty of time on the range and at home handling, practicing, and shooting this pistol, I would think that my chances of remembering to rack the slide would be much better than my chances of getting the gun out of a safe (ie proper combo entered, door opened, gun drawn, safety off) if I had to and would be much quicker (grab, rack, safety).

fishingsetx

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 15, 2015
    I was thinking more of your child
    And I would agree with you if there was a round in the chamber or if he was older and stronger. Just for info, this is a beretta 92fs. As it is, he doesn't have near the strength to rack the slide or pull the 12 lb DA trigger. Heck even my wife has trouble racking the slide! I was just wondering if I was missing something else.

Mreed911

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Apr 18, 2013
    Austin, TX
    And I would agree with you if there was a round in the chamber or if he was older and stronger. Just for info, this is a beretta 92fs. As it is, he doesn't have near the strength to rack the slide or pull the 12 lb DA trigger.

25% of 3 to 4 year olds
    70% of 5 to 6 year olds
    90% of 7 to 8 year olds
    have the strength to pull 10 lb trigger - esp. if using two fingers.
    Archives of Pediatrics and Adolescent Medicine, 1995, 149, 1318 -22

He will be able to pull it when you're not ready to - and he'll likely use his thumbs. Pull your trigger with both your thumbs and tell me where the gun is pointing when you do.

Do not risk this.

Don't do it.

Nevermind it's absolutely illegal whether he can pull the trigger or not.

Don't do it.

Paramedic-father to father.

Don't do it.

Last edited:

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    And I would agree with you if there was a round in the chamber or if he was older and stronger. Just for info, this is a beretta 92fs. As it is, he doesn't have near the strength to rack the slide or pull the 12 lb DA trigger. Heck even my wife has trouble racking the slide! I was just wondering if I was missing something else.

That's a pretty big gamble. But its only your kids life. That assumes you always remember to remove the mag, eject thee round, and then reinsert the mag.

You are also changing the way you must operate the gun.

It is my opinion as an instructor, father who has raised a child, and someone who has studied situations where kids have shot themselves or someone else, that what you describe is irresponsible and criminal.

You don't have to answer to ME, so do whatever you want. But you have no valid argument here.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom