Change of address on CHL

Discussion in 'Texas Concealed Handgun (CHL)' started by phatcyclist, Oct 17, 2008.

1. phatcyclist

phatcyclist Active Member

Feb 22, 2008
    Austin, TX
    I moved and had to go change the address on my CHL and DL. Somehow, my DL made it here in just over a week but my CHL is nowhere to be found. I have a receipt saying that I changed my address within the 30 day alloted time (actually two days after I moved) but I am a little concerned that my CHL and DL addresses don't match now. Has anyone recently changed addresses? How long did it take you to receive your license? It's nearing a month for me, and I just don't see why it's taking this long for them to print a new license. I assume the equipment is the same to print both the DL and CHL licenses.

2. txinvestigator

txinvestigator TGT Addict

May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX

Don't sweat it. The addresses do not have to match, and as long as you applied for the address change within 30 days you are fine.

3. phatcyclist

Feb 22, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Thanks, that's exactly the information I was needing. I thought it was 30 days to change it, I guess it would be ridiculous to believe everyone would have a new license within a month from moving.

Do you think it would be a good idea to keep my receipt with me? I know it isn't a legal license, but it's sort of proof that I did change addresses.

4. Texas1911

Texas1911 TGT Addict

May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    A Texas CHL is not a valid ID. That's why you are asked to give your drivers license as well.

Bear that in mind.

5. Gopher

Gopher Member

A Texas CHL is not a valid ID. That's why you are asked to give your drivers license as well.

Bear that in mind.

Always wondered about that. Both are issued by the state. Somewhere haw to verify who you are somewhere.

6. txinvestigator

May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    I would not worry about it. The requirement to change the address is in the Texas Government Code, and is administered by DPS. There is nothing a LEO could do about it IF you were stopped and he compared the addresses on your DL and CHL except write a letter to DPS.

7. phatcyclist

Feb 22, 2008
    Austin, TX
    I got my new license yesterday, I didn't know they were changing the design on the card. My face looks too red, but it isn't something I'm worried enough to complain.

8. gladi8r

gladi8r Active Member

Jun 5, 2008
    Troy Tx
    When you change your address on your chl do they take your old one.

9. txinvestigator

May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX

Nope. And a change if address is not modifying a license, so you do not have to surrender it to DPS.

10. gladi8r

gladi8r Active Member

Jun 5, 2008
    Troy Tx

Thank you sir you are a infinite wealth of information.