Join TexasGunTalk

Charles Whitman's Guns (UT Sniper)

Discussion in 'General Firearms & Ammo' started by John Stanley, May 21, 2014.

1. John Stanley

John Stanley New Member

May 21, 2014
    Just a little background on this. Charles Whitman was a Marine who went up on the University of Texas Tower and began shooting people in 1966. He killed around 16 and wounded almost 40.

I am in search of those guns and am very interested in purchasing them. This is what I have so far. A man named Wayne Buxton purchased the guns from an estate sale of a rich oil man from Wichita Falls, Texas and then ran an add in Shotgun News in 1989 and sold them all. I got in touch with Mr. Buxton in an attempt to find out who he sold them to. For some reason Mr. Buxton caught all kinds of hell over selling the guns which I do not understand as they have a significant historical value. No one gets upset over JW Booth's guns or Oswald's rifle. Anyway, Mr. Buxton's original shop burned down along with all his receipts and records and does not remember the name of the guy who bought them. He just recalls that he was in his 30s or 40s in 1989 and sold them for 4500 dollars. If anyone on here knows who is in possession of those firearms please let me know. I want to purchase them but if that is not possible I'd like to photograph them in the condition they are today. Thanks to anyone who can help!

Mods, I apologize if I posted this in the wrong category.

2. azkcr

azkcr Active Member

Dec 24, 2013
    Borger, TX
    I know it's no help at all other than a bump to the top.
    But why? Just wondering

3. franzas

franzas TGT Addict

Mar 3, 2014
    Richmond, VA
    x2

4. robertc1024

robertc1024 Please sir, can I have some more? TGT Supporter

Jan 22, 2013
    San Marcos
    Well, that's interesting

5. Dawico

Dawico TGT Addict

Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    Just a guess here but $4500 seems like a good deal for the buyer.

That being said, I wouldn't pay that much for them besides to resell them for a profit.

6. John Stanley

John Stanley New Member

May 21, 2014
    I've just always been fascinated with that particular crime and had the opportunity to speak with Houston McCoy, the police officer who killed Whitman and would like them for there historical value. Mr. Buxton bought them at the estate sale for 1500 dollars which, seems to me, quite a low price and he made a 3000 dollar profit. If I get lucky and find them I will pass them on to my children as this crime, although very tragic, has become a sort of Texas lore over the years. I mean no disrespect to the men and women who died or were injured on that day.

7. Dawico

Dawico TGT Addict

Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    They are definitely part of Texas history and for that reason very collectable.

Good luck on your quest and I hope you find what you are looking for.

8. Dash Riprock

Dash Riprock Well-Known

Jan 8, 2009
    Austin
    What typically happens to weapons used in these types of things? It seems strange to me that they would be floating around somewhere in someone's personal collection rather than being held or destroyed by the police after the investigation was concluded or donated to a museum.

9. London

London The advocate's Devil. TGT Supporter

Sep 28, 2010
    Twilight Zone
    I was thinking the same thing. The National Funeral Museum in Houston has a LOT of historical stuff and would be a perfect place for these.

Last edited: May 22, 2014
  10. Texasjack

Texasjack TGT Addict TGT Supporter

Jan 3, 2010
    Occupied Texas
    History?

Morbid.