CHL Traffic Stop stories. What Is yours?

Discussion in 'Texas Concealed Handgun (CHL)' started by zaraster, May 17, 2008.

1. zaraster

zaraster Member

Mar 19, 2008
    Ennis
    The one and only time I have been stoped with my CHL was by DPS on the 4th of july when I was comeing back into town about 10:00 at night after a day at my uncles land and lake.

I was pulled over for not using my blinker when exiting the Highway
    I turned on my dome light opened the windows had my hands on the wheel when the officer came up. I also hat my 2 licenses and Ins card in hand. I handed them to him he gave my chl back to me and never ask about my weapon. He ran me and wrote me a warning ticket and told me to have a nice night. All in all a good stop.

2. brainiac

brainiac Member

Mar 7, 2008
    Parker County
    The few times I've been stopped since I've had my CHL all resulted in pleasant conversation about guns and other things and verbal warnings. One state trooper gave me a written warning but then actually apologized for stopping me! Never had that happen before the CHL. So far it seems to be like a "get out of jail free" card. :cool:

3. baboon

baboon Well-Known

Two out three were warnings. Third time I think the cop was intimidated by the fact that I was so well armed. When he looked at my CHL he asked where was the gun. I asked which one! The fact that I was carrying a pistol & back up pistol really just started it. Then with an evil black gun he seemed to loose it.

4. ambidextrous1

ambidextrous1 Member

I was detained briefly by a DPS officer for walking on a bridge with my car parked nearby (don't ask why :D). He asked me to get into his pickup, which I did, with driver's license & CCW permit in hand. When he found out that I was armed, he asked me to get out of the vehicle & relieved me of the Kel-Tec in my pants pocket. He tossed it on the seat of his vehicle & asked to see my vehicle registration & insurance. Aftr a recitation of the risks of walking on a bridge, he wrote me a warning, unloaded my pistol, put the mag & spare bullet in a baggie, and returned pistol & baggie to my pants, on the weak side :rolleyes:.

It was all very civil; as we parted, I complimented him on his thoroughness and compassion. For the first time in our brief encounter, he smiles...slightly.

5. Texas1911

Texas1911 TGT Addict

May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    Hhaha, he put them in a baggie? That's pretty funny.

6. JKTex

JKTex Well-Known

Mar 11, 2008
    DFW, North Texas
    Interesting stories so far. I have none to tell though. ;)

A couple of comments though. 2 of the stories have issues that could have made them go unpleasantly.

When you hand a LEO your ID's, it's the same as him asking you for them and you're required to tell him you're armed; not wait until they ask. You got lucky with that one I think.

And baboon. It's no wonder the it didn't go real smooth. Again, you handed him your CHL and should have told him you had a hand gun. But he asked and you answered with a question. The answer should have been the location each one. To answer like that would give anyone the impression you're being cocky rather than responsible and cooperative about it. You're description of him "losing it" is no surprise. Hopefully you embellished for IDA (internet dramatic affect) :rofl: otherwise, that's the kind of thing that makes it tougher for other CHL holders.

And the whole baggy thing. That is just goofy! :D Wonder if they expect you to keep it that way now? :rofl:

7. Texas1911

Texas1911 TGT Addict

May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    At least you won't have to clean your gun very often :rofl:

8. zaraster

zaraster Member

Mar 19, 2008
    Ennis
    I see what you are saying but he had not ask for an ID yet so by handing him the chl I let him know I was licensed before I blurted out I am armed

9. ambidextrous1

ambidextrous1 Member

I can only speculate about the baggie: I imagine that the DPS officers are equipped with baggies for evidence collection (a la CSI); he used the baggie as an expedient to return two smallish objects to me with minimal contact and reduced chance of dropping one of them, which may have led to a less controlled situation as we both tried to retrieve the dropped object.

The officer was alert & a bit wary; that's why he returned my firearm to the opposite (weak side) pocket.

He was also about a foot shorter and 60 pounds lighter than I. ;)

10. kingofwylietx

kingofwylietx Well-Known

Feb 29, 2008
    DFW area.....Wylie.
    I was pulled one night (with my wife) coming home from dinner. We were on a rural road. I was pulled over for no license plate light (which I am sure was just an excuse to check for DWI or whatever).

I pulled over, rolled down my window, killed the truck, and turned on my interior lights for him.
    When he got to the window I already had my insurance, drivers license, & CHL in my hand for the officer. He told me why I was pulled over and asked if I was armed (I assume because I handed my CHL to him). I said yes & told him where I kept my pistol. He told me that he was going to hold it during our contact, and that it would be returned to me afterward. He retrieved it, unloaded it, and put it somewhere (I realled don't remember if he layed it on my truck, his car, or his pocket.....unimportant to the story). We discussed the license plate light briefly, ending in him telling me to get it fixed. He noticed that I didn't have a front license plate, he told me to put that back on the truck too. He ran my license and we finished up. He put the pistol (unloaded, he also unloaded the magazine and handed the bullets to me seperately) back where he had taken it from and told us to have a nice night.

It was a positive contact, he was very professional. I think he was sniffing for drunks or drugs. I hope all law enforcement (that I ever come into contact with) are as courteous and professional as him. I have a lot of respect for law enforcement and will mention that I have never had a bad experience with them.