• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • matefrio

ΔΕΞΑΙ
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2010
    Missouri, Texas Consulate HQ
    Has anyone heard or participated in Harris Counties Citizens Police Academy? I'd like some feedback if you have please.

My neighborhood has taken a turn for the worse and is becomming more populated at a very fast rate. I'm not opposed to building bridges with the local LEOs to do my part and I think my neighborhood could use the face time with the local police to show we all aren't that bad.

I just hope it's a true two way street where they would listen to our concerns if I do end up in this class.

From the email:
    Graduates of the CPA play a vital role in their communities by improving communication between citizens and law enforcement and by providing local input and support throughout the county. It is our hope that the graduates will become partners with the Harris County Sheriff’s Office in identifying problems and solutions to the crime issues that are affecting our communities. Graduates will gain knowledge that they can implement to enhance the quality of life in their respective neighborhoods.

Through this thirteen-week course, CPA participants learn many aspects of law enforcements, such as Texas Penal Code, Patrol Procedures, Gang Awareness, Terrorism, and many other topics. It is through this program that Harris County residents will gain a better understanding of how police services are conducted in their communities, and see “how and why” deputies make some of their decisions in the course of their duties.
    Venture Surplus ad

Texan2

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 8, 2008
    South of San Antonio
    It cant hurt to go through although I have no firsthand experience. The idea that civilians will see why you just cant haul that shitbags to jail because someone called the cops might be somewhat enlightening for many.

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    SAPD has a Citizen Police Academy program and I've thought about going through it numerous times, but I just haven't been able to find the time. It meets one night a week for three hours, and you can even apply online. Maybe one day my schedule will allow it, I've heard great things about the program!

Cheers! M2

MR Redneck

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 20, 2010
    The great country of West Texas
    That sounds like a good idea to me. Around here we use to have a reserve deputy thing. I called about it a while back but I dont think we have it anymore.
    Every town in Texas should offer something like this. I cant even come close to realizing what you Houston people have to put up with.

cseale86

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 13, 2010
    East Houston
    From the email it sounds like a great program. However you could go and see if its what you thought or something else. My neighborhood has a citizens watch that consists of one eighty year old man with a stun gun.I live on the east side of town and there has been a steady decline since i was about eleven.

BG1960

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 9, 2008
    Unincorporated East Harris County
    It is not a reserve deputy program. Or at least it wasn't.

I did it way back when they started the program. It's about the most fun you can have with your clothes on. IMHO, they need to run every high school senior through it. I have been around LEO's most of my life, was the guy who signed the checks for 4 contract deputies for several years. Ran a fair size crime watch when there was no CHL and many wannabe gangsters. The CPA gave me a look inside LE I never saw or even imagined.

I could write a book about what I saw and experienced, but I ain't got time and most of it's personal revelations anyway.

Do it, you won't regret it.

jfrey

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 8, 2008
    Coastal Texas
    Victoria has a CPA and I went through it several years back. It gave a lot of insight into what officers go through in a shift and the kinds of crime they encounter. The best part for me was the Saturday we went to the range and got to shoot a lot of police guns. They even demonstrated a suppressed Uzi and M16. Part of the course was riding with an officer during a regular shift. That's another story but the night I went along was a real RIDE. After you go through it you can ride with any officer at any time you want. There is even an alumni group that puts on special projects during the year like finger printing kids at Christmas and other functions.

It was a good experience, but frankly, around here I would rather deal with the sheriff's department. They are more laid back dealing with good citizens who carry guns.

Alamo Ann

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 23, 2009
    DeSoto, Dallas County, TX
    They did a special on the "boot camps" these citizens have to pass up here around Grand Prairie; aged ranged from a 22 yr Coed to a to a 70+ yr old tiny but fiesty granny.... they had to drive around the cones; shoot a handgun, a shotgun; learn the basics of CS; i'll spot a Citizen's Patrol Cruiser around the neighborhood or uptown every now and then . Honorable.

PS. Granny Passed!!!

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    OK matefrio, I owe you for bringing this topic up. As I stated, I've been interested in doing this for a few years now, and after reading this thread I decided to submit my application online for the SAPD CPA. Well, oddly enough, less than an hour later the phone rings, and it is the officer who runs the program asking if I would be interested in joining the class that started last evening!

A quick check with the wife and I was good to go (always check with the wife!). The course started around 7:00pm with a few introductions (the it was the new Academy Commandant's first day!). We then got a lecture on high speed pursuits and were told it was time to "go for a little ride!"

Yep, they took us out on their training track and boy what a bunch of fun that was! Obviously most of us wanted to drive (they couldn’t do that, unfortunately), but riding in a patrol car driven by a trained officer was quite the experience! Not only was his (and her, I snuck a second ride in, as did several others) driving impressive, it was remarkable how nimble the Crown Vic Interceptor (a.k.a. the P71) is! Unfortunately, this is the last year Ford will be making that model; so the department is looking for a future replacement.

We also got a brief from an officer from the Traffic Division, which was entertaining as well as he showed some videos from traffic stops. The officer took a lot of questions from the class, mostly about Texas’ DWI laws and their enforcement, and the officer in question did a good job answering them despite some coming from far left field!

The course is 11 weeks, and during it we will get briefs from Homicide, Vice, “Blue Eagle” (SAPD’s helo unit), K-9, we’ll get a chance to shoot their Glock G23s (three rounds, but I never pass up an opportunity to shoot a gun!), run through their tactical training course, and of course go for a ride-along. I really enjoyed last night’s class and am looking forward to the above activities and more.

But as stated, it is not a training course, but a community outreach orientation program in my opinion. The goal is to give citizens a better understanding of the department, operations, equipment and officers of the SAPD, and to serve as “ambassadors” for the force. Although I have only been though the one class so far, I highly recommend it to anyone interested! They guarantee you will have fun and learn something, or you get “a full tuition refund” according to one of the course facilitators (the class is free! ).

I’ll post after each class to give everyone an idea of what the program is like, but again I think the best way to learn about it is to experience it yourself!

Cheers! M2

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 1, 2009
    Houston
    Interesting. I would love to learn more and possibly participate but can't find any current info on it. Any links? Thanks

Edit: Nevermind, I just called the Sheriff's Office and requested the application. Thanks matefrio for opening this thread.

BG1960

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 9, 2008
    Unincorporated East Harris County
    I found this : KLiK

Registration begins for Harris County Citizens Police Academy in Cypress

The Harris County Sheriff’s Office invites interested residents to enroll in its Citizens Police Academy.

The Citizens Police Academy is an interactive course offering residents the opportunity to learn many aspects of law enforcement, such as the Texas Penal Code, patrol procedures, gang awareness, terrorism and many other topics, according to the press release.

Students in the academy meet once a week for 13 weeks beginning Feb. 10, 2011. Graduates of the program will act as liaisons between their communities and law enforcement.

The academy is free and open to Harris County residents who are at least 21 years old and who can pass a thorough background check.

Those interested should pick up an application at any HCSO station or by contacting the HCSO's Community Services Division at 713-759-9454. The deadline to register is Jan. 28, 2011. Space is limited.

45tex

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 1, 2009
    OK, but do you get any free range time? I'll sit thru the classes if I can shoot a course or 2. I'll even supply the ammo. I used to love to quialify. The CHL course can be passed without effort by any blind monkey. Come on I wanna shoot with the big boys.

Top Bottom