• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    A right to work state is one in which a person can not be forced to join a union. You are referring to an "At will" state. And you are correct, no cause required to terminate.

There are a few limitations...

Terminations initiated by the employer must not be discriminatory or in violation of specific Federal or state laws. For example, the employer is legally prohibited from taking any “adverse employment action” against an employee because of his or her race, gender, age, disability, national origin, or any other legally protected characteristic or activity. Protected activities include, but are not limited to:
    • Filing a complaint of discrimination on the basis of race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin or disability.​

• Filing a workers’ compensation claim.
    • Jury service.
    • Refusing to perform an illegal act.
    • Reporting violations of law.​
    (Source)

Cheers! M2​

ChunkyMonkey

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 17, 2011
    San Antonio, Tx
    LEO, FBI, CIA, Alphabet soup, I don't think anyone has an excuse. My weapon belt comes off if I'm in the restroom and my weapon holstered. A friend of my worked for a local agency in which the chief left his weapon in the campus public restrooms. 2 different times, it was reported by students who turned it in. Nothing happened. College campus.

kyletxria1911a1

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 22, 2010
    kyletx
    i was let go from my propane job for that reason nothing in the policy but my boss just did like me carrying.
    reason for termination restruction

zembonez

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 22, 2008
    Republic of Texas
    Sucks if he was a good guy who lost his job. Yeah, rules are rules. If he "forgot" he had a loaded weapon, that would worry me more. He probably said that in hopes of avoiding trouble, though he was carrying with his CHL. For the gun guys out there, I'd blatantly blast the company's name.
    No joke! I've never "forgotten" that I had a loaded firearm on me. I hate it for the guy that got fired, but that was one stupid move.

Young Gun

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    DFW, TX
    I would try my darnedest to not "forget" I had a gun on me if my work had metal detectors and I was required to scan in my belongings. But, since I work in a fairly security free environment I will often throw my gun in my back pack (holstered) and take it to work with me. It stays locked in my office unless the backpack is on my person. Our company policy says no weapons but it's one of those things that no one checks for, and is just in place to make people "feel good". I could point out 5-6 people who I know carry pocket knives as well (myself included) and at least one other person who I know brings in a firearm on occasion.

TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    I know it's probably impossible, but try to get the company's policies changed. Look for a new job elsewhere, too... Be sure to state it as you primary reason for leaving in your exit interview. If enough good people walk out the door because if it, they'll change their policy.

prometheus

BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 17, 2011
    Rockwall
    I know it's probably impossible, but try to get the company's policies changed. Look for a new job elsewhere, too... Be sure to state it as you primary reason for leaving in your exit interview. If enough good people walk out the door because if it, they'll change their policy.

Dream on dude, though I agree that on the damn-near impossible chance of inciting a mass exodus of a company's workforce quitting because of their no-gun policy has a slight chance of convincing a company to change that policy. The reality is, not gonna f*in happen man, not especially in a down economy, its a downright proposterous notion! Not to mention, if somone wanted to quit because of a no gun policy, and stated that as the reason in their exit interview, they would get laughed out of the office. Not sure of your angle on that one bro, but its alittle warped. Just my opinion.

prometheus

BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 17, 2011
    Rockwall
    Lets look at the reality of the situation. Though theres a hoarde of them on this forum, gun-nuts are actually a rare breed, evidenced by the fact that only 2% of the population of texas who are eligible for a CHL have actually taken the time, and spent the money to get one. The other 98% are the socially engineered, brainwashed, complacent "sheeple". Like my own father for instance, early 50's, ex navy seal, qualified expert in anything he shot... refuses to get a CHL, or even own a gun for that matter on the premise of "Ive carried a gun my entire military career, I have no interest in it anymore". I often times find myself rather confused by his logic in most matters... The point Im getting at is that guns arent exactly popular. Regardless of the demographic, socio-economic, or geography, firearms of all kinds have been demonized and the vast majority of our citizenry are utterly opposed to them. I have actually been asked, by somone I used to consider an intellectual, "why do you need a CHL, why do you need to carry a gun? Do you WANT to shoot/kill sombody?" I was literally taken aback by this line of questioning. The truth is, will I ever be presented with circumstances that would require me to use deadly force to defend myself? More than likley not... However, should those circumstances arise, I dont want to become the innocent bystander, and police are great for many things, but useless for defending you against a BG unless they just happen to be there if such a situation should arise.

Open and shut, if you find a rule/law that you feel is unconstitutional, or in however way contrary to your way of thinking, i.e guns on company property, you need to think and decide for yourself what your actions will be and prepare yourself for the consequences should you be careless enough to get caught. Guns are a private thing, you wouldnt boast to your coworkers about what color underware youre sporting, dont boast about the heater you got locked in your whip.

prometheus

BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 17, 2011
    Rockwall
    Just a note to the above: It is in every humans nature to ensure their security and the security of their loved ones, the reason why guns are as unpopular as Ive stated above is that they are truly a pain in the ass. What do I carry? What do I carry it in? Blew a weekend at a CHL class, am I printing? Oh shit 30.06, sorry honey Ill be right in, I have to put my gun away. Hello officer, its my duty to inform you that Im a CHL and Im packin, please be pro-gun or you'll make my life hell... The list of examples goes on and on, most people will say that CHL's are so because theyre overly paranoid or insecure(insert foil hat comment here), the fact is, and Im preaching to the choir here, is we are all insecure but the majority of us have been convinced that we have total security without the hassels of arming ourselves, just call 911 and all the monsters in your closet will be vaporized immediatley by officer friendly and his crew of super heroes. People buy that shit because its more convienient than actually thinking for themselves. My sis was/is the same way untill she had some crack head trying to break down her apartment door, nothing happened luckily, but moments after the incident she was blowing me up begging me to give her a gun. Its pro-activity versus reactivity, our culture is more reactive, and more often than not thats a bad thing.

Tejano Scott

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 6, 2011
    The Woodlands
    A lot of business with highly valuable intellectual property and/or merchandise will check their employees on the way out. Back when I was in college, I used to work as a Loss Prevention Manager for a major retail store who had a similiar policy(no metal detecters, but random searches of employee bags to make sure product isn't being taken out). I learned a very interesting fact while I was in that job, the vast majority of theft losses are the results of employees and NOT customers/cat burglars.

TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    Not sure of your angle on that one bro, but its alittle warped.
    Angle? I want to work somewhere that respects my wish to carry a firearm for personal protection. If a company wants to have an anti gun policy then that is their right, but I don't have to work there.

demonized and the vast majority of our citizenry are utterly opposed to them.
    Yes they have, and we should work to undue that stigma. I don't think grandstanding and trying to reach a broad audience will do much good, but I can at least offer a calm, rational example of a gun owner to people I have personal interactions with. I concede that the task is pretty much impossible, but if I can change people's perceptions just a little bit I'm happy.

Vaquero

Moving stuff to the gas prices thread.....
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 4, 2011
    Dixie Land
    Angle? I want to work somewhere that respects my wish to carry a firearm for personal protection. If a company wants to have an anti gun policy then that is their right, but I don't have to work there.

I do. I just walk in the boss's office and ask what he's carrying today. The whole company has range day and cookout once a year.
    Not bragging, just letting yall know that it does happen. Not a friearms related industry by the way.

Mic

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 3, 2009
    Austin
    I am curious why you are scanned when leaving, is it due to high theft at your workplace???

Pretty much what Tejano Scott said. Theft of technology via electronic devices. So we have to have our electronic devices registered and they theoretically scaan bags and use metal detectors to find electronic devices.

Fisherman777

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2009
    45R
    It all changes (in parking lots) next week.

Not really. They can fire you for any reason they want. If they don't want you and your gun there, they'll fire you for being five minutes late or eating the last donut in the break room. They'll find a reason.

Top Bottom