• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Flight954

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 21, 2008
    Cypress, TX
    I've bought several firearms from Collector's (because no other store has stock on what I'm after) and like any other gun store you never pay the ticketed price. If you ask then they will work on the price, escpecially if you are a returning customer. It is true about trading, they won't give much on a trade. I heard through the grapevine that they are soon to be class 3

scap99

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2010
    Cypress
    I usually haggle in a box or two of free ammo...makes it feel like a win win. They get to the upsale and I get a small discount.

Kingsnake

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 19, 2010
    Houston
    Last Thursday 09/01 I bought yet another 1911 Govt model to throw on the pile from Collectors Firearms and was able to negotiate a price drop of $50. Certainly, it never hurts to ask.

I have been doing business with them for years and, though some of their prices are on the high side, they do stock an amazing inventory of hard to find guns and are always willing to work with me on the price.

Your mileage may vary..

CJS3

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 30, 2008
    Katy
    I've purchased several firearms from Collectors, and never felt I was overcharged. They are definately pricey, so you must be an informed shopper when you intend to buy. Cash is king and they are willing to add "honey" to the deal. They've always given me top dollar on trades and they always give slightly over wholesale on the weapons I've sold to them.

TdDude

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 24, 2008
    Houston
    OK. I'll toss in my two cents worth just to balance things.

I purchased my Tucker Texas Heritage holster from Collectors about 10 years ago. This was when Tucker was fairly new and worked through dealers. I even had him make my holster with belt loop cutouts so it can be worn OWB as well as IWB. And it only took a week for me to get it. Cool huh??

I was very impressed with the sales staff at Collectors and their patience for a (then) newbie who didn't know squat about holsters and who was looking for a carry holster. They let me try countless models from various manufacturers and even pulled out the model pistol I was going to carry to use as the template so I could get the correct fit and feel. I then purchased a gunbelt from them.

Yes, everything was full retail but the salesman earned his money and I was glad to pay it. I appreciate good service.

Then came time for replacement J-clips. Plastic J-Clips are like brakes on a car. They wear out and need to be replaced. My belt is very thick which causes the clips to wear faster.

I went in to enquire on parts. I was very surprised that no one knew what I was talking about and didn't know what a J-Hook was. I wanted to ask "What planet are you guys from and what did you do with those other guys?"

Eventually the holster “manager” (this was how he was introduced) came out and told me they didn't sell Tucker and had never sold Tucker and that Collectors' did not and would not sell any holster parts. He said the last part to the wall as he was walking away from me. What really ticked me off was the "never sold Tucker" line cause he then essentially called me a liar. Turning his back, blowing me off I can write off to inexperience but the “two-fer” simply made me mad.

Believe me, when I spend $225+ for a belt and holster combination, I remember where I got it.

Zip ahead 10+ years. I'm now a CHL instructor and NRA certified firearms instructor. I work with hundreds of both new and experienced shooters a year. I have a knack for breaking things down to the basics and love to teach and coach.

Guess what store I never mention when asked where to go get stuff?? I don't talk them down; I just never mention them.

I haven't been back since and believe me when I say that over the past 10 years I have spent thousands on firearms and accessories.

And, I won't ever go back.

ajlintao

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 27, 2011
    Houston
    My experience wasn't too great either. Salesman was snobby asshole that talked to u like I was stupid. Buy ur guns online and find a decent fll. Never been back there again.

mace

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 12, 2009
    Houson
    That's the breaks with Collectors - best selection of any gunstore I've ever seen, prices are pretty hit or miss. If you want to buy a Glock at $10 over wholesale, pass and hit a gunshow. If you want to buy anything unusual, exotic, historic, etc and take it home today, even if it costs more than searching for however long online and dealing with transfers, then Collectors is the place for you.

Peter M. Eick

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Houston
    Just remember Collectors is the old place I have been where you can walk in today and buy a Broomie, a Luger, a Glock, a Registered Magnum, a pre-war 38 Super and a Uberti Single action all at the same place and on the same day.

Yes it is expensive, but they discount for cash and they have it. If I want it bad enough I pay. If they want it more then I do, than I don't.

Ready.Fire.Aim

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I like Collectors, salesman know their products and have always helped me and were friendly.
    I bought several Beeman air rifles back when they carried a large selection and shot them in the store at their target trap trying out the one I liked before buying.

I wanted a new .45 ACP and tried every single model they had until I found the grip I liked, a M&P .45. Salesman was very patient and helpful, never rolled his eyes.
    Also bought a used Ruger MkII and he let me buy 5 extra Ruger mags from a box of used mags for $30 total.

The memorabilia is cool to look at. Well worth the trip.

Only thing better is the HGCA Gun show at Reliant. Next one is Oct 22 and 23 in two short weeks.

WB5MHA

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 4, 2009
    Houston
    I have had many dealings with Collector's. I have made purchases from them since they opened. The staff is polite, fair and willing to talk price. If you are in the market for a mass produced NIB Beretta 92 or Glock they charge more. Academy or the gun show is cheaper. If you are looking at a "collector" quality weapon ( the name is "Collector's Firearms" not Big Box Store) you will always find market or below market prices. But you have to do your homework. Do you know how to tell if a pistol is refinished? They do and will tell you. Do you think your used Taurus .38 is worth 75% of what you paid for it? It's not and they will tell you. Does Carter Country regularly stock WWII era 30 cal. IBM carbines? Collector's does and the staff will tell you what the true quality of the weapon is as per their qualified gunsmith. Walk out the door of a gun show and the weapon is yours......no refunds.

Collector's is a different class of gun store. Not a pawn shop or an ffl neighbor with a five year old copy of Blue Book of Gun Values. They have operated in the present form with a move and some remodeling since the early 70s. The place is successful because they serve a loyal customer base.

When I went to Jackson Arms in Dallas, a very nice store, they asked where I was from then asked if I went to Collector's since I was from here. Among arms collectors it's a landmark.

Oh yes, you will get about 50% of retail sale price most everywhere when you drop in with your used Colt or Smith & Wesson. That's how they pay the light bill.

eblok

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 23, 2011
    houston
    I think Collector's is great. They have hard to find stuff, at a-little-higher than average prices... That said; I feel that it's extremely unfair to compare them to people who are selling hi-points out of their closets.

I've bought several older rifles there. The prices were not as cheap as I could have gotten other places, but I got excellent service, free stuff like correct bayonets thrown in, and they've steered me in the right direction for what I was looking for every time.

I didn't pick up a "snobby" vibe at all the half-dozen or so times that I've been in there.

I'll definitely go back and spend my money there.

Acera

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 17, 2011
    Republic of Texas
    Ok, one more thing to add. I bought a suppressor from them today. Best price in town!

They have a showcase of Advanced Armament Corp. products now.

1st, they are selling under MSRP.
    2nd, they did not charge for doing the paperwork.

Kind of hard for me to believe, when they have some of the highest prices in town on guns for them to have the lowest in town on suppressors. I checked every Class III dealer at the HGCA show, and none could touch the price. Even hit half dozen other gun stores last week, none of them could come close to their prices. Most wanted to charge MSRP, and $75-100 extra to fill in the paperwork--Come on Man!!

They will be getting in more brands soon, they are on order. Machine guns are next, they have a few inbound (a Colt Thompson is one of them) so they will be carrying those in the store soon. All the guys in the back knew what they are doing, so you don't need to wait on just one guy to handle your paperwork.

Dcav

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 31, 2009
    Converse
    Is the bullet impact still there, was in the room with the mil-surp rifles, they guys said a shooting happened at the club across the street and they caught a stray.

Dsparil

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 30, 2009
    Houston, TX
    Collector's Firearms is a good place to go if you want to buy used guns and know how to negotiate. One can't deny they get some good and exotic guns there. Only place I've ever seen the Springfield p9 CZ clone pistols at. I've seen laseraim, coonan, lar grizzly pistols, Peters-stahl and a bunch of other exotic guns. DO NOT buy new there and DO NOT sell them anything because you wont get squat.

Top Bottom