Colt 1911 Commander .45 04091U

Brian8474

Nov 13, 2013
Today i bought my first 1911. Paid $1049 at LGS i feel like i got a pretty good deal given the the way things are nowadays. Im looking for opinions on this gun, Also i want to replace the sights. They are a bit small for my taste. Im looking for sights with Windage and Elevation adjustments.

null_zpsa589eb15.jpg

karlac

Gone fishin' ...
TGT Supporter
Lifetime Member
Aug 21, 2013
WestU, TX
Give it a chance. Fire a few hundred rounds through it before you change anything.

Brian8474

Nov 13, 2013
Its shooting low and to the left. To hit a beer can i have to aim low and to the right about 3 inches at 15 feet. I will have the stock sites adjusted first before i change em out. Did i get a decent deal on price? i tried to do my homework as best as i could.

shortround

TGT Addict
Jan 24, 2011
Grid 0409
You are a new member, please introduce your self.

You paid the "Street" price for your Commander. Fair enough for a new-in-the-box shooter.

It was not designed for adjustable sights: It is a fighting pistol.

If you wanted adjustable sights, you should have bought a full-sized Colt target 1911, not a Commander!

karlac

Gone fishin' ...
TGT Supporter
Lifetime Member
Aug 21, 2013
WestU, TX
Hell, it's a Colt, and a 1911. Damned hard to go wrong. :)

Seriously, make sure it's not you, or the ammunition, before changing anything. Even then, not a bad idea to let someone else shoot it who is familiar/proficient with the platform before blaming the sights.

kyletxria1911a1

TGT Addict
May 22, 2010
kyletx
Welcome to da club. Very nice heater!
Run it hard and see if it smooths out. For you and the gun.
Just like your woman take your time and learn

TexasRedneck

1911 Nut
Lifetime Member
Jan 23, 2009
New Braunfels, TX
"Low and left" means you're flinching as you pull the trigger, even though you may not be aware of it.

Get some dummy rounds, mix them in with some live ones, and watch your muzzle as you pull the trigger. When you hit the dummy round, you'll see the muzzle dropping.

Spend some time....LOTS of time...dry-firing until you get rid of the flinch.

Whisky

Well-Known
BANNED!!!
Jan 27, 2013
Its shooting low and to the left. To hit a beer can i have to aim low and to the right about 3 inches at 15 feet..
well right there's half of your problem - ya say it's shooting low but then ya say you're aiming low.....uh (maybe the other half of the problem is that you're drinking the beer before shooting at the can ? - just kidding)

look at this "correction" suggestion and see if you can figure something out for yourself - also, have an experienced 1911 shooter give your pistol a go

correctionchart_zps2a9f061d.gif

XinTX

Well-Known
Aug 29, 2010
South of Houston
Give it a chance. Fire a few hundred rounds through it before you change anything.
^This. No telling how many people have screwed up perfectly good 1911's by taking them home and "improving" them before they even know what it does or doesn't do. I always try to tell people to get plenty of trigger time on it so they learn what they like or don't like. Then focus on fixing those things they don't. But keep in mind that a 1911 is an amazing piece, and no part function doesn't impact the function of another part. So modifying one thing can mess up something else that you DID like about it. A lot of the parts are interdependent in how they function.

Oh, nice piece you have. Congrats.

Top Bottom