• ...and so much more!
  • TipBledsoe

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jun 28, 2020
    LaVernia TX
    Id just like to hear your opinion, hopefully from experience, of several different compact 1911 choices.
    I have zero interest in a Tupperware gun nor a hammerless sear-fired; I'd prefer all stainless steel single-action semi-auto, but an aluminum alloy frame would be acceptable.
    My research has me considering Colt Defender, Kimber Ultra CDP, and maybe Kimber Aegis Elite Ultra Compact or Magnum Research Desert Eagle 1911 Undercover; all having 3" barrel. I don't know much about S&W SW1911 Pro. Remington 1911 R1 Ultralight Executive and Ruger SR1911 are pushing my size limits.
    Maybe there's others you're aware of that I've missed.
    Your thoughts?
    Venture Surplus ad

Last edited:

Coop45

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 9, 2012
    texas
    Id just like to hear your opinion, hopefully from experience, of several different compact 1911 choices.
    I have zero interest in a Tupperware gun nor a hammerless sear-fired; I'd prefer all stainless steel single-action semi-auto, but an aluminum alloy frame would be acceptable.
    My research has me considering Colt Defender, Kimber Ultra CDP, and maybe Kimber Aegis Elite Ultra Compact or Magnum Research Desert Eagle 1911 Undercover; all having 3" barrel. I don't know much about S&W SW1911 Pro. Remington 1911 R1 Ultralight Executive and Ruger SR1911 are pushing my size limits.
    Maybe there's others you're aware of that I've missed.
    Your thoughts?
    There is the CZ ECO oops...Dan Wesson

oldag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2015
    Take a look at the Sig 1911 Ultra compact.

Very good fit and finish, reliable with a variety of ammo, accurate. All of mine have been flawless in operation.

Go over to the 1911 Addicts forum, you will find a lot of positive feedback on the Ultra there.

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    Might look at Kimber, CZ Dan Wesson, Colt and Springfield Armory for a pistol in the frame and slide size you are wanting. I'd personally steer clear of the Remington R1, even though I own one. Quality has slipped and it seems many newer R1's are having many issues. The Ruger Officer model might be another one to consider.

Be advised that going to a very compact 1911 is going to be expensive. Very expensive over Commander or Government model 1911's. Some can even be quite finicky with ammo selection. They can be a little more difficult to be as accurate to shoot with the much shorter sight radius. Plan on some range time getting familiar with shooting them.

6shooterTX

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 15, 2020
    San Antonio, TX
    I've carried a Sig 1911 C3 alot. It's not really compact though, just a shorter barrel length and 1 less round capacity. After 2-3 hours standing/walking, the lower back is going to start feeling it, not matter good of belt/holster you have (Crossbreed, horse hair for me).

oldag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2015
    I've carried a Sig 1911 C3 alot. It's not really compact though, just a shorter barrel length and 1 less round capacity. After 2-3 hours standing/walking, the lower back is going to start feeling it, not matter good of belt/holster you have (Crossbreed, horse hair for me).
    I carry a 1911 CCO mostly, compact 1911 some. No lower back issues. Use a steel insert belt.

awmp

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2008
    I have had two Kimber Ultra 45acps, no issues. As mentioned earlier, Sig makes some nice officer sized 1911 45acps that have a lot of nice features.

innominate

Asian Cajun
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Austin
    How are you going to carry? I'm assuming not pocket. Apparently weight is not your primary concern. Do you need to limit the barrel length to 3"? Commander size 1911 in 9mm is a nice package imo.

Charley

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 7, 2008
    San Antonio
    Guess I'm cheap, carry a RIA compact with a 3 1/2 inch barrel. Added an ambidextrous safety, did some minor fluff and buff, and it was ready to go. Never a FTF or FTE in probably 3000 rounds.

Last edited:

billtool

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 16, 2008
    The Wooldlands
    Big fan of the Kimber Ultra Carry 2. Wasn’t sure about the alloy frame at first, but love it now. A few thousand rounds down the tube with zero issues. Had a self created rust problem, but the team here helped me work that through. Good looking as it ever was- except the scratch on the frame I put there scrubbing off the rust. It just has a little more character than it used to.
    BE99F9E6-DACC-407D-A038-534655A7C440.jpeg

Top Bottom