Conceal carry question

Discussion in 'Texas Concealed Handgun (CHL)' started by TXB4Z, Jun 25, 2008.

1. TXB4Z

TXB4Z Member

Feb 28, 2008
    Austin, Tx
    I work out at 24 Hour Fitness and on the membershp policies paper I got it says "No weapons of any kind are permitted in 24 Hour's Facilities." But they don't have any type of sign on their door saying this. Can I legaly carry in there being that they don't have the proper sign on their entrance?

I don't plan to carry on in there but rather keep it in my back pack locked up in a locker. I don't like the idea of leaving it in my car while parked outside at night.

2. htxred

htxred Active Member

Apr 6, 2008
    inner loop houston
    it'll void the contract if they find out but as far as having you arrested for unlawful carry, i think the answer is no.

i rather just keep it in a bag with me, thats what i do now. the lockers get broken into just as much as the cars out front.

3. hoytinak

hoytinak Active Member

Mar 5, 2008
    Texas of course
    If they found out, they could ask you to leave and void the contract. The only way you'd get arrested is if you didn't leave when they asked you to, and you could be arrested for criminal trespass.

I also keep it in my bag right next to me at all times, lockers get broken into to too often.

4. DoubleActionCHL

DoubleActionCHL Well-Known

Jun 23, 2008
    Spring, Texas
    Assuming the language in the membership policy doesn't meet the requirements of TPC 30.06, you're fine:
    "PURSUANT TO SECTION 30.06, PENAL CODE (TRESPASS BY HOLDER OF A LICENSE TO CARRY A CONCEALED HANDGUN) A PERSON LICENSED UNDER SUBCHAPTER H, CHAPTER 411, GOVERNMENT CODE (CONCEALED HANDGUN LAW), MAY NOT ENTER THIS PROPERTY WITH A CONCEALED HANDGUN."
    If you are 'made', it is within their rights to revoke your membership, but in the absence of the specific TPC 30.06 language in a written notification OR verbal notification from an owner or agent with apparent rights to act on behalf of the owner (manager, assistant manager), you're breaking no laws. Any signage must also meet specific requirements defined in TPC 30.06.

However, I would be very cautious of storing in either your car or your locker at a gym. While I can't speak for 24 Hour Fitness, I know that LA Fitness (I-45 and Cypresswood) had frequent vehicle AND locker break ins. Management would smile and lie, telling you they had no security problems while Precinct 4 Constables told me they were up there about every other night for vehicle or locker break ins. They broke into my pickup and stole a portable gun safe (empty) that was cable-locked to a seat bracket (bolt cutters, I suspect). A couple of weeks later, my wife walked back into the ladies locker room after swimming, where someone had cut the locks off several lockers and removed the contents in the middle of the day. Management was completely unconcerned.

5. TXB4Z

TXB4Z Member

Feb 28, 2008
    Austin, Tx
    I guess I'll just carry my back pack with me.

6. DoubleActionCHL

Jun 23, 2008
    Spring, Texas
    I bought a fanny pack holster. You can slip your keys, wallet and Ipod in there and no one gives it a second look.

7. htxred

htxred Active Member

Apr 6, 2008
    inner loop houston
    tracy also carries an extra brush and tiny mirror in his fanny pack, along with an extra set of earrings...

8. DoubleActionCHL

Jun 23, 2008
    Spring, Texas
    Now that George Carlin has died, I guess you're trying to step up and take his place? Try harder, Glasshoppah.

9. idleprocess

idleprocess Active Member

Feb 29, 2008
    DFW.com
    Given that fanny packs are no longer popular, I notice them every time I see one - especially if it looks like it has provisions for, er, "quick access."

Flip side of that is that I know why they're still popular with a select group...

10. DoubleActionCHL

Jun 23, 2008
    Spring, Texas
    It's true that people will look at you and suspect that you're carrying a gun, gay or hopelessly stuck in the 80s. I like to keep 'em guessing.