• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jeff

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 13, 2008
    Just remember that when you wear that fanny pack...EVERYONE knows you have a gun, so there is NO element of surprise....

I personnally prefer the IWB holster....

LOL, I strongly, strongly doubt that. Would most "EVERYONE" that people like us hang around, know, are friends with know that we're carrying a gun know? Yes, of course. Would the rest of the general public? Probably if not definitely NO.

I too prefer my IWB holster, like I said - it's what I've practiced with the most and is what I carry on a daily basis but sometimes the fanny pack is just more convenient. Really just more comfortable I should say, though I must say my IWB holster with my G27 is usually unnoticeable and quite comfortable after a few hours. My ankle holster (backup only) carrying my .38 is another story. Which is why I usually don't carry it.

You could argue the whole "people know that you have a gun" thing for a week as in states where open carry is legal - like Arizona for example - you lose the tactical advantage but many would argue gain a large level of deterance. I'm not quite sure where I stand on that issue, and until TX makes open carry legal I don't need to worry about it. I would sometimes carry open though if it were legal.

JKTex

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 11, 2008
    DFW, North Texas
    Trust me, he's right. You'd be surprised at the people that will know or suspect you're of carrying in a fanny pack. ;) It's concealed, and suspicion isn't being made and suspecting someone is carrying means nothing. You have no obligation to acknowledge and they have no right to search.

They want to call the law because they "think" you are, but they have no reason to act, see how far it'll go.

As far as the case where you may need to use the gun on their property. You only gave them the proof they need to revoke your contract. It has nothing to do with any other law. If you were carrying legally, the incident is in the laws hands and I think they won't care too much if your contract got torn up.

Jeff

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 13, 2008
    Trust me, he's right. You'd be surprised at the people that will know or suspect you're of carrying in a fanny pack. ;) It's concealed, and suspicion isn't being made and suspecting someone is carrying means nothing. You have no obligation to acknowledge and they have no right to search.

I guess it depends on where you live and where/who you associate with. Or possibly even the type of area you live in and the demographics. I live in an expensive area of Houston and the people out here are generally very naive about guns in general. The crime rate is low... HPD rates it a 1 out of 5; 5 being the worst...so people think they are perfectly safe which couldn't be further from the truth.

What I'm saying is everyone I associate myself with (and I'm sure the same is true for most of y'all, so I would expect y'all to know) would automatically know what the pack was for. Even those I know who don't know I have a CHL would guess there's a gun in there. I would also expect anyone in law enforcement to immediately recognize it also as I know many officers who use a fanny pack themselves. However, there's a good number of people out there that don't even realize there is such thing as a CHL. Any savvy criminal should be able to pick it out also. But to say that absolutely everyone, meaning almost anyone, would even take a second look because they think it is a gun isn't the way it is, at least from my experience. People like us are so used to analyzing people and situations, seeing if they're carrying, so of course we would all immediately pick it out.

As far as losing the element of surprise; well, that's a tactical advantage/disadvantage situation that could be argued to death. It's a somewhat similar argument of open carry vs. concealed. There are advantages and disadvantages to either type of carry.

When I take my daughter to the park and I'm wearing a fanny pack with workout pants and running shoes, sunglasses and a hat, while carrying around a diaper bag or whatever else; I doubt anyone I come across would think I was carrying. Only a certain type of person. People who either carry themselves or at least know that people can and do carry concealed.

Anyway, not trying to argue, I just don't believe that "all" or most people would take a second look at a fanny pack because they think it is a concealed gun. Looks ridiculous sure, gay maybe, but no gun. Hell the results of the last presidential election should tell you that most people either want their guns taken away or they never had them in the first place so they don't know much about a CHL anyway. IMO.

That said, I still almost always carry with my IWB holster anyway. While I would open carry in certain situations if it were legal I primarily enjoy carrying concealed.

Texan2

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 8, 2008
    South of San Antonio
    Ok....your point is well taken. I shouldn't have said "all", as there are no absolutes. But i used to carry in one, and I had dozens of people a year inquire, and many were not gun people.
    To test my theory, I have asked friends and family members (who are non gun owners), about people we see with fanny packs, and they have always stated, "I just assumed it for their gun".

This was from people who dont know a revolver from a bazooka or know anything of a license to carry!!!!

Anyway, I like the idea of them not even suspecting.....
    To each his own.

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Diablo4151
    Top Bottom