Concealed 9mm for my wife

Discussion in 'Handguns' started by tomhall75, Jul 12, 2008.

1. tomhall75

tomhall75 New Member

Apr 30, 2008
    Fort Worth
    My wife wants to get her CHL and a new weapon to go with it. I have a kimber ultra carry 2 .45 and love it, but it's a little big for her. I've been looking at 9mms and want y'all's opinion on what I should go with. I love the new springfield emp, but it's pricey. I'd kinda like to stay under 600 if possible, but I want to make sure I get a reliable, dependable weapon. What do you think?

2. brainiac

brainiac Member

Mar 7, 2008
    Parker County
    Let her handle and shoot as many as possible and let her pick the one that she likes best. My wife chose a S&W 910S, which is very reliable and was less than $600 brand new at a big gun show - but everyone is different. If she likes single-action pistols then how about a Browning Hi-Power? Don't know that those would fit your budget however.

3. Slotback

Slotback Member

Mar 10, 2008
    Off to the gun store and put a bunch of pistols in her hands. See what fits her hand and what she likes.

4. idleprocess

idleprocess Active Member

Feb 29, 2008
    DFW.com
    That's the only way to fly.

I hear the Walther PPS is showing promise. As a single-stack 9mm, it should be friendly for smaller hands.

5. LittleGun

LittleGun Active Member

Jun 27, 2008
    Spring/Houston
    Top Gun Range has a wide selection of rentals. Range time is a little pricey, but it is worth it to help decide what you like.

6. mac79912

mac79912 Well-Known

Mar 4, 2008
    Make sure she can use a semi auto by letting her see one and have her try to pull the slide back.If she has problems then start her with a revolver.I had five older women this week come into the store for the bersa 380s and none of them could pull the slide back.Ended up selling them Taurus 85 snubs so they could use them for the CCL class.All of the ladies passed with the 85s.

7. woulf

woulf New Member

Jul 14, 2008
    Bryan, TX
    I think a Kahr PM9 would be an excellent choice, atleast to try out. Even the +p 9mm rounds are easy on the hands in that model.

8. TexasHK

TexasHK Member

Jul 7, 2008
    Seguin, Tx
    I had my wife shoot many weapons when we looked for her a pistol and she ended up liking a 40S&W in a Beretta 96D, so she has a Beretta 96 vertec Inox with night sights.

Nice for her, the vertec has a slimmer grip (1911ish) versus the standard Beretta grip. I've shot a Beretta 96 and M-9 in the service and like the vertec grip of her's...It is a lot like holding my 1911.

9. JohnnyReb

JohnnyReb Member

Jun 2, 2008
    DFW area
    I'd have to agree with most people here. Anywhere you ask that question, the best answer is to get her to hold and shoot different guns. If ya'll can't manage to getting around to do so, then I'd suggest at least taking her to a few gun shops. That way she can hold different types of guns. Get her to function test them and see what see is most comfortable with. My wife liked the airlight .38 special revolvers at first. A few gun shops later, and she had her eye on a Taurus PT-111 Pro Millennium 9mm. She went with the Taurus and still loves it....( she scares my friends since she knows how to use it so well ). But your wife may like something bigger....maybe something smaller. I hear some guys wives moving up to .45's, but I doubt mine will. She seems to really like her 9mm, and hated my .40 before I traded it in. Good Luck!

10. kingofwylietx

kingofwylietx Well-Known

Feb 29, 2008
    DFW area.....Wylie.
    My wife settled on the Taurus PT-111 Millennium in 9mm too. She bought the pink and stainless one you can only get at Gander Mtn. She used it to qualify for her CHL and now packs pink. It was only $400, so you can stay under $600 even with a holster and some ammo.

I'd just take her to a few gun shops and see what feels comfortable to her.