Venture Surplus ad

Concealed Carrier Rushes Into The Fray - Gunned Down After Preventing Further Casualties

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Sam7sf

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 13, 2018
    Texas
    Dang. This world is mad. I agree with cam. Situational awareness. How many times does that term come up in class? Cops not treating you like a threat is situational awareness. Anything can happen if you think you do everything right. What a mess. Hopefully the cop can move forward and be ok mentally.
    DK Firearms

kyletxria1911a1

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 22, 2010
    kyletx
    First I think the civilian was incredibly brave to jump in and engage a shooter that shot a cop. Sad he lost his life in the process.

I also don't think there is one answer to fit all here either, whether to engage the shooter, or not to engage. That is entirely a personal decision each person would need to make based upon the scenario at hand at that time. Way too many factors for a clear-cut answer to that question.
    Yep yep

kyletxria1911a1

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 22, 2010
    kyletx
    Dang. This world is mad. I agree with cam. Situational awareness. How many times does that term come up in class? Cops not treating you like a threat is situational awareness. Anything can happen if you think you do everything right. What a mess. Hopefully the cop can move forward and be ok mentally.
    But for the most part if a officer is down and I was a cop just rolling in everyone is the enemy till I knew what was going on

sergeant69

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 6, 2016
    san marcos tx
    If the shooter was down, the gun should have been holstered as @oldag pointed out

woulda/coulda/shoulda. with the adrenaline at 1000 times normal training and cognative reaction go out the window. i have been standing next to a fellow officer when we had to draw our weapons. he dropped his as it cleared the holster and never it until later. he was so wound up he was shaking. everyones different. when the SHTF all bets are off, no matter who you are.

kyletxria1911a1

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 22, 2010
    kyletx
    If the shooter was down, the gun should have been holstered as @oldag pointed out

woulda/coulda/shoulda. with the adrenaline at 1000 times normal training and cognative reaction go out the window. i have been standing next to a fellow officer when we had to draw our weapons. he dropped his as it cleared the holster and never it until later. he was so wound up he was shaking. everyones different. when the SHTF all bets are off, no matter who you are.
    First off thanks for doing a thankless job. And secondly you're right sir

gll

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    I would hope the cop can move forward, but not without great remorse. His action resulted in the death of an innocent man, a good guy, and a hero.

billtool

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 16, 2008
    The Wooldlands
    My understanding is that the shooter was down.
    Ugh/ so many questions. I must say, unless I see the guy that was so recently shooting at me missing a head, it’s gonna be awful hard for me to disarm. If I’m told to I guess I would, but who knows if the LEO even gave a command.

Reactions: gll

gdr_11

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 1, 2014
    There are a lot of unanswered questions in this story and they will not be revealed until the city attorneys clear the exact words to be released to the public. It is one thing for a responding police officer to engage an armed "suspect" at an officer down scene; it is another to open fire from a distance without any knowledge of who's who; armed or unarmed.

Hopefully the city will release a true statement of what took place, although they may choose to shield the actual identity of the shooter since this is a terrible outcome and there is no need to go beyond confirming the circumstances under which the officer decided to fire on the hero.

The lessons learned are valid; good training for the responding citizen is as important as it is for the responding officer. Anyone calling 911 in an incident must also remember to identify anyone who may be engaged in the incident. Failure to point out that an armed citizen wearing xxx is on the scene may result in that person being shot in error. Conversely, failing to holster or lay down your weapon as soon the responding vehicles come into view is also a critical mistake.

jordanmills

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2009
    Pearland, TX
    I'm a old product of uncle sugar... sorry old training dies hard
    Yeah that's a problem too, but it's not a problem with such an easy clear response. And to be clear, the problem is the old training dying hard, not former military becoming civilian cops, or that you had training appropriate to the situation you were being put into as military.

avvidclif

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 30, 2017
    Van Zandt County
    And that's a big problem. Civilian law enforcement cannot have that mentality. That's for military personnel in a limited range of situations.

It also applies in the civilian world albeit with a few modifications. In the military world anyone armed, in a firefight, and not in uniform is a enemy and to be dealt with. Civilian world, First being anyone armed must be told very loudly, "Drop it, NOW". Only difference I see.

jordanmills

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2009
    Pearland, TX
    It also applies in the civilian world albeit with a few modifications. In the military world anyone armed, in a firefight, and not in uniform is a enemy and to be dealt with. Civilian world, First being anyone armed must be told very loudly, "Drop it, NOW". Only difference I see.
    I think you mean in a uniform. Killing civilians, even if they are bearing weapons, so long as they have not made themselves unlawful combatants by engaging in hostilities, is a serious crime.

jrbfishn

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 9, 2013
    south of killeen
    Did you miss this:
    But is accidentally killed by police…
    I stand corrected.
    Went back and read then again. The second says an news investigator said he had confirmation that he was killed by police.
    I also watched several videos and nobody was confirming that a cop shot him. One video of a police spokesperson said it was not clear who shot him.
    More facts would be nice. I haven't had time today to look. I just got back from the range.

Sent by an idjit coffeeholic from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Top Bottom