Concealed Carry Handguns

Discussion in 'Handguns' started by dannysdad, Apr 16, 2008.

1. dannysdad

dannysdad New Member

Apr 16, 2008
    Which handguns are you CHL holders carrying? Do any of you think that a .380 is sufficient? Thanks.

2. Texas1911

Texas1911 TGT Addict

May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    .380 is probably where it starts to become effective. I wouldn't carry hollow points in a .380 for self-defense. Ultimately with anything it comes down to shot placement.

I have a HK USP Compact in .357 Sig for a carry weapon.

3. tex45acp

tex45acp Active Member

Mar 13, 2008
    South Central Texas
    I personally would want more than the .380 as my primary carry, but because of the sizes of guns it is available in, would make a good back up gun.

I carry a Wilson Combat 4" Professional in a Milt Sparks Versa Max 2.
    [​IMG]

4. Longtooths

Longtooths Member

Mar 12, 2008
    Irving, Texas
    I carry the follow and change when the mood hits me or weather/clothing is a factor. (I am saving up for the Springfield Armory 1911 EMP and that will become my main carry and the Bersa will be my back up)

Kel Tec p11 9mm
    Kel Tec pf9 9mm
    Bersa Conceal Carry .380

5. charlie-6

charlie-6 Member

Mar 6, 2008
    central texas
    Colt lw commander never leave home without it.

6. hoytinak

hoytinak Active Member

Mar 5, 2008
    Texas of course
    I switch off between my P2000SK 9mm and my Seecamp .32. I feel completely comfortable carrying the Seecamp....as stated before, it comes down to shot placement.

7. htxred

htxred Active Member

Apr 6, 2008
    inner loop houston
    just beautiful man. how does it feel to have a couple grand on your hip?? lol. the thought scares me since if i ever have to use it, the chance of it being taken for evidence drives me crazy since *cough* hpd *cough* is known for having problems with guns being stolen...
    I carry a springfield EMP 9mm wrapped in a milt sparks summer special II. best damn holster IMO and best damn gun IMO. i have a springer full size 1911 chambered in 9mm as well, target model. i took the sear and hammer out of that one and threw it in my EMP, trigger pull is a lot lighter then out the box but still reliably crisp.

i'm always at shiloh if you ever want to put a few rounds through it since you're in the market for one. i made the switch from double action to single and well i love my 1911. (used to carry g26 with trigger work)

8. brainiac

brainiac Member

Mar 7, 2008
    Parker County
    I would carry as large a caliber as you can comfortably shoot and conceal, but the smaller gun you actually carry is better than the cannon that you leave behind.

My every day carry is either a 5" or a 4.25" 1911; that's what I shoot the best and they conceal easily for me. I own a small .380 auto pistol and a S&W 340PD .357 revolver, but those are only back-up weapons for the last resort. YMMV.

9. htxred

htxred Active Member

Apr 6, 2008
    inner loop houston
    to those who carry full size or compact.

did you try to carry sub-compact or smaller first and find that you just didnt like it, wasnt accurate with small, or just didnt feel safe with a small gun vs a bigger?

for me i think eventually when i get around to losing some weight, i want to carry a commander or govt size 1911 rather then the EMP. i practice with both and when it comes to shot placement, im a lot better with the fullsize hands down.

10. justin81

justin81 New Member

Mar 21, 2008
    DFW, Texas
    I think it depends on how you want to carry.

I recently bought a Kel-Tec 3AT, and a Taurus 85. I like them because I like to pocket carry, and personally think the .380 and 38spl are sufficient for defense.

If I were going to carry on my hip, I would carry my XD9.