• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dee

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 22, 2008
    Red River Way
    I've shot enough of the M77s to hate them. They are not up to par in the accuracy department.

Before people start to jump on me about my comment, I've shot 20 - 30 of the things and hundreds of rifles in the past year. I'm not saying that they can't build an accurate rifle, but they as a percentage wise are less accurate than your run of the mill Remington 700 or Savage 10.

I shot a M77 the other day and the trigger was horrible. It was bad enough best group I could get was about 2.5".
    Capitol Armory ad

mmay1

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 31, 2009
    Fort Worth
    Great choice, in my opinion. I like the 270 Win. and, as stated before, I like the Savage rifles. My Savage's are in 308 Win. and 223 Rem. but the 270 Win. round has been around a long time. If still considering a Mitchell's Mauser, take some time on the net and see what others think about Mitchell's. I don't have one but there are opinions out there from people I trust that this might stand a chance of violating the rule of "don't buy a bad one."

Big country

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2009
    Cedar Park,TX
    I don't know anything about Ruger rifles so thanks for the heads up guy's. I Know the 111 is an accurate rifle and the 270 ain't bad so I'd say if you like it go for it.

dee

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 22, 2008
    Red River Way
    Don't really care much for Savages. I've only messed with a couple and the actions weren't the smoothest and the overall fell wasn't that great. Another I personally think they are ugly as hell.

Okierifleman

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Houston
    I've shot enough of the M77s to hate them. They are not up to par in the accuracy department.

Before people start to jump on me about my comment, I've shot 20 - 30 of the things and hundreds of rifles in the past year. I'm not saying that they can't build an accurate rifle, but they as a percentage wise are less accurate than your run of the mill Remington 700 or Savage 10.

I am a Remington man myself. But the pre-warning, pre MKII Rugers were a lot better than what Ruger is putting out now. I have a 25 year old 25-06 M77 that I would not take any amount of money for. In addition to it being my 14th birthday present, after at least 2K rounds, it still groups around 1/2" and the trigger still breaks like glass, just like it did out of the box at about 3#.

Big country

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2009
    Cedar Park,TX
    I used to hunt with a guy whose dad had a Sako finnbear (spelling?) 25-06 that his mom bought for him at a pawn shop for $245 I think. It will shoot 1/2" or so and is valued when I was hanging around with them at about $1500. I tried to get that rifle 5 times and I suspect that his son is still trying.

treyw

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 5, 2009
    Central TX
    Might look at Remington's SPS line. It wears a synthetic stock and wont win any beauty contests. But, it is a Rem 700 and that should be enough of a pedigree. I've got one in 223 that is a tack driver.

country_boy

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    Round Rock
    A guy at work says the walmart in cedar park has a rem. 700 combo ss barrel in 270 for 427 everyday price. Big country do you know and or seen this rifle up there?

Major Woody

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 12, 2008
    I agree on the Savage10 or: I bought a Stevens.308, $[300.00] put on a Shooter's Edge 4x15 x40 scope on it [69.00@ McBrides] and them dropped it in a Choate Tactical stock [159.00] and then installed a SSS 9 round DBM 80.00. It shoots as good as any rifle out there. Stevens = Value.

AusTex

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 16, 2008
    Austin, Texas
    I did not read all the posts so don't flame me if this was covered, my buddy got a rem 700 sps tactical for around this price. It is not considered a real free float barrel b/c it touches the stock at the end. His gun shoots .5 moa out of the BOX! my fn spr will shoot a little better with handloads and the work ive had done to it.. but it is a $2500 rifle with scope. It is also just a black rifle.. It wouldnt really pass as a hunting rifle but it is small enough and light weight enough that it is no problem walking with. As long as you dont go overboard on a big heavy scope/bipod etc..

I hunt with .308 and I shoot long range with .308 ..

Cannot beat a 165 grn hrndy AMAX on whitetail/pigs. etc. If you dont shoot to much these bullets or atleast the nosler version 165grn green tip are also great shooters for long range. 168 hpbt or 155 palmas are great long range shooters also. Anyway if you dont mind spending $18.00 a box of 50 rounds you have yourself a great longrange bullet and a great deer bullet in the same load. Any ballistic tip at 100 yards + is going to put the hurt on a deer also!

Texas1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    So in order to purchase this rifle I need a ffl correct? Ive never bought a rifle online before, no clue how it all works.

You can easily get a shot out Garand or K98 if you don't know what you are looking for. I've seen plenty that shoot 4 - 8 MOA which is horrible.

A K98 or Garand that is rebarreled however will serve you well. I suggest .308 for either.

AusTex

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 16, 2008
    Austin, Texas
    Not a selfless plug here.. But since we are talking about bolt rifles and .308 here is my rang report post from shooting the other day. 500 yards 7moa elevation on 168grn hpbt. Wind was not strong enough to really move the .308. I shoot groups at 100 yards only.. anything past that I just try and hear the ding of copper on steel! I also shoot off bi pods prone 90% of the time. Anyway thought this might peak yalls interest considering the market you are looking in. Also I have shot this same shot with a rem 700 with similar results. Also taken a rem 700 out to 750 yards in Kansas without too much work with the same hand loads (168s)

http://www.texasguntalk.com/forums/11136-little-range-report-223-308-a.htmlhttp://www.texasguntalk.com/forums/rifles/11136-little-range-report-223-308-a.html

Big country

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2009
    Cedar Park,TX
    A guy at work says the walmart in cedar park has a rem. 700 combo ss barrel in 270 for 427 everyday price. Big country do you know and or seen this rifle up there?
    Hey man sorry it took so long I looked wally mart has a few different remmy combos in there right know. I'd check the academy in Cedar Park to they seem to be fair priced and are a little more pro gun than WM. Sorry I was late man I thought I had told you already.

country_boy

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    Round Rock
    Hey man sorry it took so long I looked wally mart has a few different remmy combos in there right know. I'd check the academy in Cedar Park to they seem to be fair priced and are a little more pro gun than WM. Sorry I was late man I thought I had told you already.

I like the savage.. they had a 770 but, the bolt action was a little rough I didnt like it. Although I need a dad gum garand for my ww2 collection.

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    BernierF350
    Top Bottom