• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • GPtwins

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 15, 2009
    Sachse, Tx
    First, let me say that I am primarily a handgunner. I have one rifle for hunting purposes. With that out of the way, I am considering buying a .223 for target shooting just because it is a real fun caliber. So the question is which platform?

The AR types are popular and fun to shoot but I'm don't picture myself as the next John Rambo. Semi-autos can really burn through some ammo too if I am not careful.

A Remington 700 bolt action, especially a heavy barrel, would suite me just fine and it would look good in the cabinet next to my Remington 700 7mm Remington Mag. Bolt actions only load four rounds at a time and I must cycle the bolt each time. This will really slow the amount of ammo I send down range.

Then, tonight, I ran across a .223 in lever action. I almost forgot those existed. Also, four rounds in the box at a time and must cycle the lever.

Like I said, the primary function of the rifle will be target shooting. It may, on occasion, find its way to my dad's ranch as a varmint rifle on the four-wheeler. So, opinions please.
    ARJ Defense ad

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    If you want the best accuracy for the dollar, look at a Savage bolt. There are a ton of options available from Savage, but you can get started very cheap, and it will be a good shooter.

SPCHardin

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 19, 2010
    San Antonio
    I have a bushmaster XM-15. I know you did not really want an AR-15, but it sure is a great shooter! NEVER had a misfire or failure to feed / eject.

tussery

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 26, 2008
    Corpus Christi
    From TPWD:

Magazine Capacity (number of shells/cartridges allowed): There are no restrictions on the
    number of shells or cartridges a legal firearm may hold when hunting game animals or game birds (except
    migratory game birds, see Legal Shotgun, pg. 65).

Texas42

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2008
    Texas
    First, let me say that I am primarily a handgunner. I have one rifle for hunting purposes. With that out of the way, I am considering buying a .223 for target shooting just because it is a real fun caliber. So the question is which platform?

The AR types are popular and fun to shoot but I'm don't picture myself as the next John Rambo. Semi-autos can really burn through some ammo too if I am not careful.

A Remington 700 bolt action, especially a heavy barrel, would suite me just fine and it would look good in the cabinet next to my Remington 700 7mm Remington Mag. Bolt actions only load four rounds at a time and I must cycle the bolt each time. This will really slow the amount of ammo I send down range.

Then, tonight, I ran across a .223 in lever action. I almost forgot those existed. Also, four rounds in the box at a time and must cycle the lever.

Like I said, the primary function of the rifle will be target shooting. It may, on occasion, find its way to my dad's ranch as a varmint rifle on the four-wheeler. So, opinions please.

I find that having a light recoiling, fun, and accurate rounds makes for lots of rounds sent downrange. : )

Besides, Lots of cheap .223 out there. Lots of great bullets which can be had to use on deer, varmits, or 2 legged creatures. Very accurate platform.

I don't want to disuade you form getting what you want, but there is nothing wrong with sending lots of rounds down range. : )

shortround

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 24, 2011
    Grid 0409
    Invest in a bolt gun first. It will develop fire discipline, and will serve you well for varmints up to deer.

Once you've got the feel of the caliber, find yourself a good AR for fun and plinking.

I would no more hunt with an M-1 Garand than with an AR-15 variant.

But if you do, no problem.

As for the cost of ammunition, you will find 5.56mm/.223 Remington anywhere from thirty cents per round up to $1.75. You do not want to go hunting with the cheap stuff! Your game deserves better.

Be well.

balloo93

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 18, 2008
    I'd say go for a AR. I'm thinking a Rock River Arms National Match rifle. It won't be your last AR. I'd suggest a 14.5" (with pinned flash hider to get 16") as your next AR.

SevenMag

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2011
    Dallas
    Yup... RockRiver makes some of the best AR's - I own a few.... Also recommend the new Remington R-15 if you like them dressed up in camo.

Texan2

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 8, 2008
    South of San Antonio
    I to am looking at purchaseing a .223 I fire an M4 and want to get a civilian version for play time. However I don't know where to realy start looking or which brand to go with any ideas?
    get ready for the flood of answers...what is you budget?

Top Bottom