brace-and-bit.jpg
    Lynx Defense

Chirpy

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 2, 2013
    Hutto, TX (kinda)
    I'd have to give a vote for Ryobi. My original combo kit is seventeen years old and going strong. I'll take that back, the forward/reverse switch on the drill is getting a little touchy. Have replaced batteries a few times (lithium batteries don't appear to like hot garages BTW) but over all I've gotten my money's worth.

Can't nail for squat, so I screw everything. While I'm a "homeowner" not a professional, here's a quick list of Ryobi built stuff so far.

Two car stand alone garage for brother in law.

12' x 24' storage building, built from scratch, torn down moved and reassembled.

3 other smaller storage buildings, built from scratch.

Wall torn off a garage and rebuilt.

At least two front decks.

Rebuilt a boat floor and engine compartment.

Numerous cubmobiles.

So I'd guess I use heavier than most. They aren't decorative, that's for sure.

A couple of years ago I was in the strange situation of having all dead batteries (see above), and thought that now's the time to move to DeWalt or something if I was going to make the move.

I built spreadsheet (I actually did) comparing costs, searched for prices, and in the end realized that if Ryobi had served me well for 14 years, they'd probably do me okay for the next 14. I should trust my own experience at least as much as the opinions of internet experts.

I've been happy, and Riyobi is about the only thing I buy from Home Depot anymore, prefer to support Lowe's because of their support for scouting.

karlac

Lately too damn busy to have Gone fishin' ...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Houston & Hot Springs
    I abandoned nails years ago, except for when really small ones are needed. They have been made obsolete by all the many different kinds of screws.

I use screws when I can get away with them, but code requirements not only call for nails in many structural fastening tasks, they are very specific about type, material and patterns. I did build a few recording studios in past years where screws were used in most of the framing and sheathing, particularly installing double stud walls, but had to fight the inspectors tooth and nail.

It's only been in recent years where you could easily source screws with sufficient shear strength to pass code/engineering specs, and you still have to argue.

Top Bottom