• ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

oldag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2015
    My in-laws live near us and officially decided they still want to see our family & kids rather than be totally isolated. They understand the risks. I'm not sure I'm 100% on board but they're not my parents. With my parents I've told them I want to hold off a little longer.

What are you guys doing with elderly parents? For the 1911 crowd, how do you feel about being around grandkids?
    I don't have any problem with it. Neither do my offspring.

TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    What are you guys doing with elderly parents? For the 1911 crowd, how do you feel about being around grandkids?
    The wife and I have been dropping off supplies on her parents' doorstep, and only talking with them over the phone. My daughter has my mom grounded and basically doing the same.

I wouldn't have an issue being around my grandson, but I'm also mostly healthy and in my 40s so not really at risk.

SQLGeek

Muh state lines
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 22, 2017
    Richmond
    My in-laws live near us and officially decided they still want to see our family & kids rather than be totally isolated. They understand the risks. I'm not sure I'm 100% on board but they're not my parents. With my parents I've told them I want to hold off a little longer.

My mom is in her early 70s and in good health. She's still doing her necessary grocery shopping and going for walks but staying home otherwise. We are still visiting with her as she lives alone and we're the only people she is seeing right now, Other than our own grocery shopping, we are staying home ourselves.

gdr_11

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 1, 2014
    I am 71 and my wife is 74. She has some lung problems from chemical exposure 40 years ago and has about the worst allergies I have ever seen. I had a massive heart attack 11 years ago but otherwise still upright.

We live in a small town of about 4,000; our lane is a dead end with about 30 homes on 2-10 acre lots. We wave and chat with neighbors from a distance but we rarely share the same space; maybe once or twice a year across a patio table. Since the panic-demic we have continued our normal routine:
    - out for coffee/breakfast at 7 am (now that Whataburger closed it is coffee only at our local gas station/mini mart/meeting place.
    - outside as weather permits doing the regular yard work
    - 3 or 4 times a week into town for groceries or small items. Brookshires, Walmart, Target
    - Run to Lowes for plants, furnace filter, bug spray etc.

I have cancelled a flight for us to go to Los Angeles to see our son. That place is bat crazy the rest of the time and I have no stomach for going there now, not to mention the airports.

We are not doing anything out of the ordinary for us. We have always used to shopping cart wipes on the way in and out of stores. We always spray hand sanitizer when wipes are not available. I always wipe my hands after using an ATM keypad (the single filthiest thing in any store. We are not afraid nor do we believe or little corner of Smith County is a death trap.

My heart goes out to the little old ladies I see in the store with face mask, gloves and the look of death in their eyes. God Bless Them.

toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne
    7bb349e5b81e8754545ff798ed7baaff.jpg

Attachments

• 7bb349e5b81e8754545ff798ed7baaff.jpg
      7bb349e5b81e8754545ff798ed7baaff.jpg
      45.3 KB · Views: 465

oldag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2015
    Dad is 92.
    I’m not going near him for another couple of weeks.
    I’m still having to go to work so I face the potential of exposures from co-workers.
    No way do I want to risk bring cv to dad.
    My exposure to others is very minimal right now, so I am in a little different situation.

toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne
    You have some inside information or is there an article that can be shared?

Nope.

Just watching the numbers. Between NYC burning up the board and the transmissibility we’ve seen in the US, that bug didn’t just evaporate over the course of a few weeks in China. Especially if it can live on surfaces for up to 17 days as has been seen on the Princess cruise ships.

I’m big enough to admit I could be wrong, but I don’t think I am.

jrbfishn

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 9, 2013
    south of killeen
    I was recently around a young lady that that really, really needed a shoulder and to be comforted. She got it.
    I smoke, have bad lungs and God only knows what other problems and I'm 63. I don't care. If I am around a kid and they need it, they get a hug. They come first. Covid virus be damned. I will NOT put my personal well being over that of a kid. Especially if it was shown to be more dangerous to kids, me giving it to them would be a bigger worry for me than me catching from them.
    To some of older folks, how much we get to enjoy what we have is more important than how long. It is likely to to end sooner than later anyway. Virus or no virus.

Sent by an idjit coffeeholic from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

jrbfishn

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 9, 2013
    south of killeen
    Nope.

Just watching the numbers. Between NYC burning up the board and the transmissibility we’ve seen in the US, that bug didn’t just evaporate over the course of a few weeks in China. Especially if it can live on surfaces for up to 17 days as has been seen on the Princess cruise ships.

Given the history of mankind, if you consider the numbers of population killed to total population, disease of one kind or another has always been the biggest killer of humans. Stands to reason that the possibility of it happening again is there. Despite what people want or think, we still have very little to no control over what nature can do to us.
    And to a large degree, what stupidity we can do to ourselves at times.

Sent by an idjit coffeeholic from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Vaquero

Moving stuff to the gas prices thread.....
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 4, 2011
    Dixie Land
    Nope.

I understood that the virus was detected on the surfaces after 14 days, but it was no longer viable, or "alive".
    Maybe I misunderstood.

Shady

The One And Only
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2013
    And with all the fools fleeing NY when the lockdown was coming only to take there infected bodies and minds to spread that crap all around

the rates are going to go up

Nope.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom