Venture Surplus ad

Could I Expect to make Match grade ammo?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • The Lox

Well-Known
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 6, 2010
    Farmers Branch
    I need approximately 600 rounds of match grade ammo for a rifle class in November. If I started working up my own loads now, could I reasonably expect to make my own match grade ammo? For instance if I planned on being very methodical and make only 20-30 rounds at a time, in no sort of hurry?
    DK Firearms

The Lox

Well-Known
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 6, 2010
    Farmers Branch
    That's why most people get into reloading. It's very doable. You are basically build ammo specific the the gun you shot it in.

So why do a lot of shooting classes say "reloaded ammunition not recommended?"

Secondarily - how many rounds of a specific build do I need to make during testing? Is 10 enough to gauge the accuracy in the rifle?

robertc1024

Staff member
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 22, 2013
    San Marcos
    Because most people are idiots. Reloading requires attention to detail. If you do it right, your hand loads can far surpass factory ammo.

baboon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!

Secondarily - how many rounds of a specific build do I need to make during testing? Is 10 enough to gauge the accuracy in the rifle?

MY guess is insurance requirement.

What I do is shoot some factory match ammo through my chronograph. Knowing the weight bullet & the speed I open the reloading handbook I got in the 70's when I started reloading. Find the loads that are in the bullet weight & FPS. IF I have powder that works cool, if not figure what is available that you can try. I'll load 10 rounds of various weights of powder both up & down in velocity. Best group wins. Some time you might have to try different powders. Loaded a bunch of .45 acp cast bullets. Powder I tried stunk & was smokey.

I hunt & like killing my game cleanly. It's kind of nice taking something special with your own ammo! I reloaded for every safari I too to Africa. The baboon was with my .308 180 grain Winchester/Nosler Ballistic Tip into his chest @ like 275 yards, dropped him dead & did not exit. I still have some of the bullets that were recovered.

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    I need approximately 600 rounds of match grade ammo for a rifle class in November. If I started working up my own loads now, could I reasonably expect to make my own match grade ammo? For instance if I planned on being very methodical and make only 20-30 rounds at a time, in no sort of hurry?
    You can make all 600 rounds in one shot if you pay attention to detail. It isn't about speed while reloading, it is quality. Doing all the work in batches makes it go much quicker.

BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 5, 2011
    Heart of Texas
    Maybe tell us what caliber you're talking about specifically, and the tools you have to make them. For instance, if you load on a single-stage press, you might want to hold to 200 rounds per reloading session for handgun loads, less for rifle.

Also, loading to match the dimensions of the pistols chamber will help. For instance, 9mm load data typically gives very short OACL recommendations. If your pistol has a long chamber-throat, obviously you will do better with a longer load. Finding that length for the bullet/bullets you'll be using is fairly simple.

Acera

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 17, 2011
    Republic of Texas

One thing that others may have missed in responding to this, is not everyone who shoots reloaded ammunition reloads ammunition. Lot of folks buy bags of reloaded ammo from questionable sources at gun shows, friends of friends, etc. Those are sometimes the culprit in all manner of issues. Long time ago, I did. Bought some ammo to shoot at a match held at Ft.Benning from a member of the Rod and Gun Club there. Halfway through a stage gun locked up due to him forgetting to put powder in 1 case :( Never made that mistake again, however I do buy re-manufactured ammunition from reputable sources like Freedom Munitions.

You might read up on the Ladder Method for working up loads with the smallest amount of bullets. Unfortunately I don't think there are cheap and easy shortcuts to get to the best round. However, some don't need the same level of accuracy as others, or even possess the skills and/or equipment to tell the difference.

Creighton Audette?s Ladder Test | PrecisionRifleBlog.com

Long-Range Load Development

https://sierrabullets.wordpress.com/2014/07/03/long-range-load-development/

ed308

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    DFW
    Making "match grade" ammo is easy. What takes time, is developing a load for your gun by trial and error. You can reduce that amount of time by doing some research. For example, I have a lot of ARs with APR barrels. I can usually find load data for those barrels online. Similarly, I can find load data for my Sig S&W .40 on the Sig Forum.

I learned to reload on a Dillon 650. Within 1-2 loads per caliber, my groups where better than the manufactured ammo previously used. Take your time, start low/work up and always check your work. I've probably reloaded 5K rounds since I started reloading four years ago. No squib loads so far.

Last edited:

ed308

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    DFW

Cause they want your shinny new brass. No way I'm leave new brass that I can't pickup. They'd get some of my Lake City brass I've reloaded a couple of times or some S&W .40 nickel cases.

When I work up a load, I reload 5 rounds with specific powder amount and test at 100 yards for rifle and less for pistol. I usually start with a clean barrel (clear of cooper) then fire 5 rounds to prep the barrel.

The Lox

Well-Known
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 6, 2010
    Farmers Branch
    Maybe tell us what caliber you're talking about specifically, and the tools you have to make them. For instance, if you load on a single-stage press, you might want to hold to 200 rounds per reloading session for handgun loads, less for rifle.

Also, loading to match the dimensions of the pistols chamber will help. For instance, 9mm load data typically gives very short OACL recommendations. If your pistol has a long chamber-throat, obviously you will do better with a longer load. Finding that length for the bullet/bullets you'll be using is fairly simple.

223/556 shooting out of a 12.5" BCM upper.

Vaquero

Moving stuff to the gas prices thread.....
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 4, 2011
    Dixie Land
    Lots of good responses.
    Yes, you can make match grade ammo, and in large batches.

I'll differ on the clean barrel thing though.
    It's an AR. It's gonna shoot dirty 500 times before it shoots clean again.
    I'll develop loads for a dirty bore for any semi auto.

A lightweight hunting rifle, I'll develop for a clean bore.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    It's not clear to me if you already reload. If not and this is your inspiration to start, pm me with the cartridge and I'll send you some reference material that will save you some time in component selection.

Wiliamr

Well-Known
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    Austin
    In answer to the OP's Q. Yes you can reload match level ammunition. Darn near ever single competitive match shooter does. Snipers hand load their ammunition ( or used to).
    Like Ben mentioned above, let us know if you need some help picking loads. The main reason that training classes want people to shoot factory ammunition is liability. In my experience, all insurance companies have riders in their policies about not covering injuries cause by reloaded ammunition to class participants/range/ equipment

Charlie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    'Top of the hill, Kerr County!
    Easy enough! Hornady 75 gr. BTHP-Match with cannelure (Midway or Grafs), AA 2520 or Ramshot TAC using Western's data, and a CCI-400 if your barrel has a 1 in 8" twist or faster.

That would be great, but I have those bullets by Hornady and have yet to find load data that will allow them loaded to a length that will fit in the magazine.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    223/556 shooting out of a 12.5" BCM upper.
    Don't know how I missed this earlier. I need to slap myself.

As for my offer of helpful info...I can't be all that helpful. I have zero experience with short-barreled self-loaders in .223. However, I'm sure there are other people here who have been down that road.

The Lox

Well-Known
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 6, 2010
    Farmers Branch
    Easy enough! Hornady 75 gr. BTHP-Match with cannelure (Midway or Grafs), AA 2520 or Ramshot TAC using Western's data, and a CCI-400 if your barrel has a 1 in 8" twist or faster.

Its a 1 in 7. Started separating brass today. Been hoarding it for a while. Picking the best of what I have and sending the other stuff into a pile to be cut down for 300 blk subs..

BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 5, 2011
    Heart of Texas
    That would be great, but I have those bullets by Hornady and have yet to find load data that will allow them loaded to a length that will fit in the magazine.

Use Western's data, and if 2.260" (SAAMI Spec) is too long, shorten to 2.255" or 2.250" if necessary. Personally, I don't have any problems with loads at 2.260".

Top Bottom