Gun Zone Deals

Could I Expect to make Match grade ammo?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • The Lox

Well-Known
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 6, 2010
    Farmers Branch
    Rookie question, I have a 2 die lee set and I bought an additional factory crimp die. Do I need to seat the bullet and then go back and crimp it with the crimp die, or just use the crimp die in place of the seating die that came with the set?
    Texas SOT

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    Rookie question, I have a 2 die lee set and I bought an additional factory crimp die. Do I need to seat the bullet and then go back and crimp it with the crimp die, or just use the crimp die in place of the seating die that came with the set?
    The FCD is used as a third step. It will not seat a bullet.

If you are going that route, set your seating die up high so it doesn't crimp at all, just seats the bullet.

The Lee FCD is the only way to go for good quality crimps.

That being said, I do not crimp rifle rounds and have not had any setback issues. The 5.56 doesn't have enough recoil for it to be an issue anyways.

Test crimps on paper. Some guys swear that a crimp helps groups, others say they kill groups. I tend to agree with the latter group but everybody's experience is different.

The Lox

Well-Known
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 6, 2010
    Farmers Branch
    The FCD is used as a third step. It will not seat a bullet.

If you are going that route, set your seating die up high so it doesn't crimp at all, just seats the bullet.

The Lee FCD is the only way to go for good quality crimps.

That being said, I do not crimp rifle rounds and have not had any setback issues. The 5.56 doesn't have enough recoil for it to be an issue anyways.

Test crimps on paper. Some guys swear that a crimp helps groups, others say they kill groups. I tend to agree with the latter group but everybody's experience is different.

Cool, thanks. By testing on paper I assume you mean targets to verify groups correct?

ed308

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    DFW
    There's not much of a need to crimp with .223/5.56 but I do anyway with the same Lee FC die. Shouldn't affect accuracy if a light crimp.

Your 1 in 7 barrel will likely be most accurate with the heavier bullets. My ARP barrels are 1 in 8 and very accurate with the heavies (ie: 68 - 77 gr bullets). I really like Nosler's 69 gr Custom Comp bullets pushed by 24 grs of Varget. I fire-form my brass then bump the shoulder back .003 to .004 and load as long as my mags will allow. Can easily shot 1/2 groups @ 100 yards if I skip the coffee in the morning.

Last edited:

Koinonia

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Sep 10, 2012
    San Antonio
    I need approximately 600 rounds of match grade ammo for a rifle class in November. If I started working up my own loads now, could I reasonably expect to make my own match grade ammo? For instance if I planned on being very methodical and make only 20-30 rounds at a time, in no sort of hurry?
    Definitely. Making ammo accurate for your rifle is a process, but definitely worth it to find the correct bullet weight, shape, and powder charge.

nogunjoe

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 10, 2015
    I need approximately 600 rounds of match grade ammo for a rifle class in November. If I started working up my own loads now, could I reasonably expect to make my own match grade ammo? For instance if I planned on being very methodical and make only 20-30 rounds at a time, in no sort of hurry?

Of course you can achieve match grade. Takes study, practice and experience. But I would absolutely not just load up 600 and then go shoot. Much better to figure out you made a mistake in a batch of 5 or 10 than 600. Start slow. Check and optimize accuracy. Learn by making a few mistakes. Don't overpressure rounds. Learn to identify the tells of overpressure when it starts. Respect it. Learning the hard way can cost an eye, hand or even your life...

Read a hand loading manual from a major manufacturer. Reference it as you go. You will get it. But not overnight. It's worth it as it can improve accuracy dramatically.

What class are you taking that uses 600 rounds?

Charlie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    'Top of the hill, Kerr County!
    Of course you can achieve match grade. Takes study, practice and experience. But I would absolutely not just load up 600 and then go shoot. Much better to figure out you made a mistake in a batch of 5 or 10 than 600. Start slow. Check and optimize accuracy. Learn by making a few mistakes. Don't overpressure rounds. Learn to identify the tells of overpressure when it starts. Respect it. Learning the hard way can cost an eye, hand or even your life...

Read a hand loading manual from a major manufacturer. Reference it as you go. You will get it. But not overnight. It's worth it as it can improve accuracy dramatically.

Welcome to the forum!

BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 5, 2011
    Heart of Texas
    There is another way to crimp and it's proven with the groups my SP & I get. Even with cannelured bullets, I'm not about to apply the amount of crimp given by something like the FCD. You can get REDDING's separate Taper Crimp die and apply just enough over the bottom of the cannelure to help prevent set-back without being detrimental to accuracy.

The Lox

Well-Known
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 6, 2010
    Farmers Branch

Yeah, I wasnt planning on loading up 600 and rolling out. 10 each at a time to work something up that is accurate.

The class is a scoped rifle class with Kyle Defoor.

Charlie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    The primary reason "most" hand loaders (in my opinion) load their own is to find the load their weapons like the most (accuracy). And that process, when done correctly, means you have match loads. :green:

Last edited:

The Lox

Well-Known
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 6, 2010
    Farmers Branch
    Well I found some Ramshot Tac at Natchez, ordered the last 2 lbs they had. Of course there was 5/6 lbs at the gun show today, so I picked up another lb.

I also picked up some powder to try out my 208 grn sub sonic 300 blk.

I picked up a lb of CFE 223 which is supposed to clean copper fouling in ARs to try out on some plinking 55grn bullets.

I am all in now, hope to maybe load up a batch this weekend and get to the range over memorial day.

BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 5, 2011
    Heart of Texas
    Well I found some Ramshot Tac at Natchez, ordered the last 2 lbs they had. Of course there was 5/6 lbs at the gun show today, so I picked up another lb.

I picked up a lb of CFE 223 which is supposed to clean copper fouling in ARs to try out on some plinking 55grn bullets.

I am all in now, hope to maybe load up a batch this weekend and get to the range over memorial day.

TAC is excellent for 5.56mm NATO as is AA 2520. THe only true 5.56mm NATO data out there comes from Western. If you're interested in the T2 load I make. Use Western's 5.56mm NATO START Charge for TAC, or the MAX Charge from the .223 REM data from Western. Work up to 25.1 grs. of TAC with a CCI-400 Primer with an OACL of 2.250" and from our CRX-16" Colt's Marksman, that load chrono's 2753 FPS to equal the Hornady T2 spec for their LEO load that mandates 2750 FPS at the muzzle.

Standard Deviation for that load from MY rifle is 9!

If you want hair splitting accuracy, work up to 25.0 grs. of Norma N203B and feel free to read the last article I provided for the Western Powders on-line magazine at blog.westernpowders.com that I hope to see pressure tested soon.

Last edited:

Charlie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008

My AR loves Varget (26.1 gr.) with a 55 gr. FMJ it will do a 3/8" three shot group if I do my part.

ed308

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    DFW
    My AR loves Varget (26.1 gr.) with a 55 gr. FMJ it will do a 3/8" three shot group if I do my part.

That is excellent accuracy with 55 gr FMJ if at 100 yards. I get great accuracy with heavy bullets but not the 55 gr FMJ.

popper

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 23, 2013
    rifle class in November/Scoped rifle what kind of class? BR, 3 gun, steel, tactical? You say 'match' but how good does it really need to be? How fast does it need to go? What is your end goal, objective? Lots of variables that determine what ammo & reloading equipment you need. 1K (you gotta practice) factory isn't cheap but the results may be better paying the price for match factory. You will need some factory stuff just for comparison anyway, you can buy several brands and see which works best for your gun. Lastly, what kind of trigger do you have? I've loaded some 40SW with the CFE pistol just to see, but it does take more powder.
    If that is the Symrna shoot, 300-600 yds and reloads not recommended. IIRC, 300 yd mil ammo is 4 MOA spec so yours needs to be 2MOA for hunting.

Last edited:

schmellba99

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 30, 2008
    Houston & San Antonio

Yes, and no. If you just start reloading without knowing what you are doing or how to take measurements of your rifle so that you tune the rounds to said rifle, then no - you'll just make ammo. May be good, may be bad.

But if you know how to measure your chamber, how to properly size brass, how to properly prep brass, take time with your powder selection, your primer selection and your projectile selection, putting it all together correctly - and most importantly - tabulating your results on the bench so that each tweak is tweaking towards the goal of your expectation of accuracy, then you will exceed any factory match grade round made.

Top Bottom