• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • janikphoto

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2011
    Dallas
    I am very pro-firearm ownership, but I never thought the 21 yr old requirement was all that bad. It bugged me that I couldn't buy a handgun at the time, but I didn't feel like my second amendment rights were being trampled. I just bought an SKS instead, and went on my way, until I turned 21.

I understand the idea of a "slippery slope", so I can see why this law keeps us closer to losing other rights down the road. But, like I said, being able to own a long rifle at 18 was fine by me. Do others here feel similarly to me, or am I in the minority? Again, I can see good reasons for this law to be overturned, so please discuss your opinions with that in mind.

Texasjack

TGT Addict
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Occupied Texas
    They set the voting age to 18 back during the Vietnam war so that those of draft age could vote. So now we have a mixed bag of 18 being the age for military service and voting, but 21 being the age for buying beer and guns. There really should just be one age of majority - whether that be 18 or 21 doesn't matter that much to me.

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    You can purchase and own a handgun at 18 in Texas.

Yep. Just not from an FFL. It's actually anything that's not a rifle or shotgun, so those pistol-grip-only shotguns like a Mossberg Cruiser are illegal for an FFL to transfer to someone over 18 but under 21. Unbuilt frames or receivers, too, so no AR lowers.

Top Bottom