• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • avvidclif

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 30, 2017
    Van Zandt County
    a LOT of companies use intuit... turbotax for one, uses it. guess ill be finding a new way to file taxes next year

I switched to H&R Block 3 years ago when TT went stupid on the business package. Cost them a bundle and I got e-mails trying to get me back but it ain't happening. H&R is just as easy and a lot cheaper (1/2). I used TT for abt 15 yrs...

Intuit owns TT and QB and no telling what else....

Renegade

SuperOwner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 5, 2008
    Texas
    Not really B.S.. If a baker can refuse gay customers. The credit card company can refuse to do firearm credit purchases.

Reading is Fundamental.

It is complete fucking BS to cancel charges already approved, and services already rendered. What if they go back 40 years?

As a result, the businesses had to scramble to track down customers to get them pay their bills after Intuit credited back to customers’ accounts the purchases — even if the T-shirt was already shipped or the class already taken, one businessman told The Post.

busykngt

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 14, 2011
    McKinney
    avvidclif, your story sounds exactly like mine. I always used the TT Basic version (the cheapest) because I intentionally kept my tax complexities to a minimum. But, like you, about three years ago I switched to H&R Block online service and haven’t looked back! TT increased their cost to the point it just got ridiculous for a normal American homeowner with relatively simple taxes to file!

My only concern now, is that H&R Block announced a price increase last year so they may be following the same path as TT.

Guess I can always go back to a #2 pencil and a Big Chef tablet!

TAZ

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 17, 2008
    Round Rock
    I think we need to be careful here. Reading is fundamental for all, including those signing business contracts. While I disagree with Intuit, I think their terms were pretty clear that they they will only process face to face firearms transactions. People in the gun business should read the terms and conditions of their potential service providers and chose wisely.

As for non firearm merchandise, if intuit refuses to abide by their own TOS, the businesses should sue for the lost revenue and punitive damages. Based on my understanding of the TOS, intuit wrongly reversed those charges.

diesel1959

por vida
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2013
    Houston & BFE
    The most sensible solution would have been for Intuit to put out a statement to their clients, stating that charges for purchases from that date going forward would no longer be processed through Intuit. It's pure idiocy and virtue-signalling to reach back to attempt to void charges that have already gone through in good faith. That's it truly some kind of bullshit.

diesel1959

por vida
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2013
    Houston & BFE
    And as for using credit cards, I haven't bought ammo or a firearm locally in at least fifteen years (other than FTF with a private individual). All my purchases are via credit card over the internet. There's no way I'm going to do bank transfers for that.

Last edited:

easy rider

Summer Slacker
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2015
    Odessa, Tx
    The most sensible solution would have been for Intuit to put out a statement to their clients, stating that charges for purchases from that date going forward would no longer be processed through Intuit. It's pure idiocy and virtue-signalling to reach back to attempt to void charges that have already gone through in good faith. That's it truly some kind of bullshit.
    That's what got me riled up in the first place. I can look at the politics of a company and decide, if I know, whether to use their services, but if a company changes their policy in the midst of doing a transaction, that transaction should go through and then let it be known that further transactions that policy would be in effect. This isn't just the companies that didn't get their money for a product, but also a headache for the customer that has to try to make it right.

oldag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2015
    avvidclif, your story sounds exactly like mine. I always used the TT Basic version (the cheapest) because I intentionally kept my tax complexities to a minimum. But, like you, about three years ago I switched to H&R Block online service and haven’t looked back! TT increased their cost to the point it just got ridiculous for a normal American homeowner with relatively simple taxes to file!

My only concern now, is that H&R Block announced a price increase last year so they may be following the same path as TT.

Guess I can always go back to a #2 pencil and a Big Chef tablet!

What a bunch of wimps. I do my own tax returns. :D

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    Intuit has been criticized for ... lobbying the federal and state governments against providing free services that would compete with Intuit's own.
    The entire tax prep industry banded together and killed the concept of free services almost 20 years ago. In their devotion to doing their job and in their complete ignorance of the politics involved, some folks at the IRS started a project to enable most people to file their returns for free just by logging onto an IRS web site. If you've ever filled out a 1040C, you know the concept isn't that difficult.

As soon as word got out, the entire tax prep industry went insane. They descended on the halls of Congress like a plague of locusts and the whole project was quietly shut down less than a month after news of it leaked.

Occasionally someone floats the idea again and the industry lobbies to kill it. They always succeed in short order.

Nowadays, you wind up paying third parties to transmit your data to the IRS, something that you could easily do yourself if they hadn't forced, by lobbying efforts, the creation of a whole bureaucracy requiring their participation.

Much of the tax prep industry really shouldn't exist and it irritates me no end to think back on how they leeched their way into the fabric of American life.

There's lots of scum in that pond.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    I guess I will start getting PIRATED versions of Turbo Tax!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Are you good with Excel? I haven't checked in years but there used to be an open source project that translated the tax code for individuals and Schedule C businesses into a massive spreadsheet every year. There were macros for data entry and to print out the final forms.

Heck, these days I wouldn't even know where to look to see if the project was still active.

Just looking for an alternative in case using pirated software is something you'd rather avoid.

Ole Cowboy

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 23, 2013
    17 Oaks Ranch
    Making a private company provide something against their will is Marxist. That's not how Capitalism works. Religion or not. They have a right of choice. Take away their choice and you lose yours.
    Grass man, they are a public company, not private, traded on NASDAQ, INTU. When you are a publicly traded company you are there to sell or support all people and companies. I fully support private companies not accepting business for what ever reason as long as its applied equably. But public companies have to serve the public at large.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2012
    HK
    Grass man, they are a public company, not private, traded on NASDAQ, INTU. When you are a publicly traded company you are there to sell or support all people and companies. I fully support private companies not accepting business for what ever reason as long as its applied equably. But public companies have to serve the public at large.

Then they answer to share holders. If you own stock in the company. Dumb it.

Top Bottom