• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • alaska1996

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 5, 2013
    I have a Savage 110 I was going to get a bull barrel for. After talking to a couple local gun smiths, one of them recommended I build a new gun. The thought intrigues me and i'm considering.

Have ya'll built a custom rifle your happy with? Could you post pics and parts list? My savage is in 300 win mag but the smith recommended the 338 Lapua. Should I go for the bigger bullet?

LJH

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 22, 2011
    Austin
    Why do you want to shoot 1000 yards? Do you have anywhere to shoot 1000?

I am sure he has his reasons. I like shooting at 1k. I haven't hit much at that range yet but it is very entertaining and fulfilling when you do.

As to building a rifle for long range shooting, it will be very expensive. Your 300 win mag with a factory barrel can do it. A few worthwhile upgrades will make all the difference in the world. Better optics, having the crow recut by a reputable smith, etc...

LJH

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 22, 2011
    Austin
    Forgot to mention other things to help, reloading for your rifle. Not just reloading, but custom tuning the load to your rifle make a world of difference. If its not already bedded and floated those can help as well.

alaska1996

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 5, 2013
    I wan't to shoot a thousand just cause I can. I have a few loads that I fine tuned for the rifle, I get about a 1 3/4 in group at 300 yards. I want'ed to get a muzzle brake, but there is not enough barrel to thread it. I really just wanted to upgrade the barrel.

What barrel would you recommend? I've been looking at the E.R Shaw barrels.

What exactly is bedded and floating?

What muzzle brake do you like? I'm looking a the JP Recoil eliminator.

As far as moneys concerned, the bank of daddy is always open to investments. (But I can't get too wild > $600)

LJH

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 22, 2011
    Austin
    I wan't to shoot a thousand just cause I can. I have a few loads that I fine tuned for the rifle, I get about a 1 3/4 in group at 300 yards. I want'ed to get a muzzle brake, but there is not enough barrel to thread it. I really just wanted to upgrade the barrel.

What barrel would you recommend? I've been looking at the E.R Shaw barrels.

What exactly is bedded and floating?

What muzzle brake do you like? I'm looking a the JP Recoil eliminator.

As far as moneys concerned, the bank of daddy is always open to investments. (But I can't get too wild > $600)
    Shaw are pretty nice for the money, also look into Hart, McGowen, Krieger, and Shilen. Your mileage will vary as each maker has its own fan club who think everything else is crap. I personally like Lilja barrels and have had wonderful accuracy out of them.

JP makes nice things, but I have no experience with that brake. Bedding a rife (either glass bedding or pillar bedding) removes any play between the action and stock. This helps with consistency from shot to shot. Floating a barrel is were you remove stock material so it doesn't touch the barrel. This keeps the stock from moving the barrel around leading to more consistency.

My main advice if you really want to go down this path is read tons on accurizing a rifle. Learn all that you can before you start. Have a plan from start to finish before you begin. Good luck.

alaska1996

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 5, 2013
    Thanks, that helped a lot. Would fluting help with accuracy? Whats a good maker for a synthetic stock? I want something like this, but right handed.

755029.jpg

alaska1996

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 5, 2013
    Can't know every thing, but I try.

For the barrel I'm looking at the contour 5 which is 1.250 entire diameter. The price stays the same so I wan't the biggest. Weight aside would a barrel that large be a problem?

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.

I thought your posts were ridiculously entertaining an chocked it you to a goofy kid. but this tells me you are what is wrong with the works today.

As for the rifle stuff, I don't believe a word of anything you said.

LJH

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 22, 2011
    Austin
    1.250 entire diameter. ~ Weight aside would a barrel that large be a problem?
    Weight is never aside. Weight would be a problem. Other than that its fine.
    Would fluting help with accuracy? Whats a good maker for a synthetic stock?
    Fluting would reduce weight, it does not help accuracy at all. As to the stock, whatever you like is best.

I thought your posts were ridiculously entertaining an chocked it you to a goofy kid. but this tells me you are what is wrong with the works today.
    As for the rifle stuff, I don't believe a word of anything you said.
    Even if this is nothing more than daydreaming, or bs many people ask the same questions so why not.

Top Bottom