• Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    I have the paper for the land, just put what it says. I don't believe its that accurate, its probably a money thing.

Might as well, with all the other crap they put in the water.

The papers are usually pretty accurate. It's the old fences and such that are usually in the wrong place.
    Gun Zone Deals

Mike D Texas

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 9, 2009
    Parker County
    Here's my experience.

You aren't going to touch a custom rifle build for $600. You can't even get a barrel from a reputable barrel maker (Krieger, Bartlein, Brux, PAC Nor) and have it threaded, chambered and fitted/trued to your action for that.

The basic wood stock you have is not stable enough especially if you start channeling it for a heavier barrel. Any quality stock is going to run you $400 and up.

The Nikon Monarch scope is mediocre at best. The glass and tracking/repeatability is not up to par for dialing in regularly.
    I don't know what kind of mounts you have but again, you have to have very solid mounts and rings especially on a heavier recoiling rifle like a 300 Win Mag.

Factory triggers suck.

I just finished up my second custom build and I know how much they cost to do it right and $600 isn't even in the ballpark.

You may take that rifle and hit an 18" target at 1,000 but you aren't going to do it accurately and consistently.

Chinookman

Two-burning-Six a-turning
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 29, 2013
    Republic of TEXAS near Victoria
    A better idea is to go to www.socnet.com and visit their weapons and sniper forums. Be sure to question everything they say and take every opportunity to show off your expertise, they love that kind of stuff over there.

They'll be in awe of you if you tell em you are 16 and how much training you've already had and what your dad will buy you, trust me on this.
    dang near choked on my cigar smoke laffing so hard quit it.....or go to your room......

Glockster69

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 1, 2011
    Rut roh, a surveyor or civie ingunear just checked in. ;)

The "kid" clearly talks out of his ass. Why does he have such easy access to all that is his "parent's" property / assets / documents?

I still say 40yo basement dwelling troll.

mosin

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 21, 2013
    Laredo
    I'm a surveyor

I havent dug around in texas for surveying yet, as I'm doing subcontracting work from home for my old company in florida but...

In Florida, and most Georgia counties anyone can pull up the owner, all previous owners, the deed to the property, the plat of the subdivision if there is one, the tax assessors value, permitted number of structures, types of structures and size of structures that are on the property, and the flood zone status of the property, without leaving the computer desk. It's all public public knowledge just gotta know where to look. Quite honestly a bit scary but it is what it is.

Since this thread is shit anyways here's some engineer humor.

A mechanical, electrical, chemical and civil engineer were all sitting around one day. Having already concluded God must be an engineer they began to debate what kind.

The mechanical begins to argue with all of our advance skeletal anomalies, hinges and joints he must be a mechanical engineer.

The electrical engineer having heard this nodded in agreement but then went on to say, sure there are some incredible mechanics involved but it is useless with out the wiring. Look at the nervous system and the multitude of connections, the speed and efficiency, without that the mechanics do not matter.

The chemical engineer at this point decided to chime in. You are both right and make sound points but it is chemicals that breed the very life into our bodies. Happiness, sadness, everything is controlled by the various chemicals and hormones. God is surely a chemical engineer.

The civil engineer shaking his in disbelief that any engineer would dare claim God was not a civil engineer entered the conversation. All of you while making good points are wrong. You see, only a civil engineer would route a sewer system through a playground.

Last edited:

Glockster69

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 1, 2011
    Hahaha. Heard it before ... couldn't remember the punchline :cool:

The online data you talk about, in my experience, only applies to densely populated areas. Maybe our boy wonder lives in such a place and does not need daddy's physical records, but where I am, you must do a manual search through county records for that data.

mosin

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 21, 2013
    Laredo
    yeah its a state by state thing, florida has legislation requiring everything being online so even the most backwoods of counties is easy stuff. Going to the courthouse for research is a pain in the ass.

alaska1996

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 5, 2013
    IMAG0273.jpg

alaska1996

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 5, 2013
    Finished it last week and started thinking of what got me into it to begin with. And I remembered this forum

flylot

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 4, 2014
    Houston, TX
    I've gone through this thread and find it both amusing and sad. Some great advice was given. I hope the OP changes his mind on the his caliber choice. I agree on the 6.5 Creedmoor though I shoot a .260 Rem (I neck up .243 brass because I go into fits when I loose a piece of Lapua brass). The .243 is hard on barrels (I only am able to get 1,000 rounds or so on my Ackley before time to spin on another one). The SWFA 10X scope is the best deal for the money and is very capable to shoot to over 1,000 yards, my first build had one and its now sitting on my AR-15 that is chambered in 7.62X40WT (now THAT is truly a love-hate relationship worthy of a separate thread).

Though I shoot a .260, my training rifle is a .223AI and good out to 1,000 yards (though I'm not, The wind kicks my ass, but that's why I train with it). Shooting a .22 rim fire to 200 and 300 yards has a lot of merit IMHO.

Instead of looking at an inexpensive 1,000 yarder build (it can be done, I've done it), I would recommend a few more drachma and go buy an off the shelf Ruger or Savage precision rifle. I've recently shot a 6.5CM Ruger and it's scary accurate out to 1,000 (and this is coming from a guy who runs a Defiant action rig). Just my $ .02

Top Bottom