• ...and so much more!
  • Darkpriest667

Actually Attends
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 13, 2017
    Jarrell TX, United States
    Caniks are cheap guns..do they work..sure.
    So does a Hi Point.
    From what I’ve heard, the triggers suck horribly

I just don’t see the upside of buying one personally.

I’ve got a CZ 75B, damn fine weapon, good trigger.
    It will hold value...
    Canik...not so much.

Here's a guy that has a serious bias. Have you ever tested the triggers side by side? My guess is no.

Yeah I have no clue which is why I'd started this thread. There are so many reviews online and its hard to sort through who actually knows what they're talking about and who is full of shit or paid to say nice things.

I think Grumper has the CZ and I have 2 Caniks. I like CZs and I like Caniks. I didn't want to pay 500 dollars for a name. The Canik has the best stock trigger I've ever fired out of a STOCK pistol. Anyone that says otherwise is either seriously biased or selling you something.

CZs are good guns. For the price of the P10 you can get a Canik and 1000 rounds of 9mm. Your choice.

A TON of people won't buy Caniks because "Muh Turkey bad" yet they'll buy guns from a dozen other countries with piss poor records. It makes no sense. If you ever want to shoot mine send me a pm and we'll have a range day. I'd love for @grumper to come too. I swear he has a CZ P10 but if not at least you can try the Caniks and make your own decision instead of "I've never fired one, but" comments here on the net. If someone shoots them side by side and says either the CZ or the Canik is "a lot" better. They're being hyperbolic. If you think one is better than the other it's personal preference and not the actual performance of the guns. CZ and Caniks are some of the best stock triggers you can buy.
    Military Camp

zackmars

Free 1911 refinishing
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 4, 2015
    Texas
    The caniks are alright, as are the poly CZ's, but you already have some glocks, so if you want a range toy, why not get something actually fun? Metal framed DA/SA is hard to beat there.

CZ, Beretta, old S&W autos, etc

Sam7sf

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 13, 2018
    Texas
    Had a p09, 75bd compact, and sp01 tactical. Got rid of them all. As I continue to grow as a shooter I find sigs, 1911’s, glocks, mp’s, fit me just as well. Actually just when I thought no gun could fit my hand as good as that 75 compact, my sig p229 blew it out of the water. I would just find a good deal on a tp9 if I did it all over. The p09 grip was to narrow for my hands. The 75 series fits me like a glove but cz quality was starting to bother me. Had a scorpion evo pistol and I wasn’t impressed with the build quality. The mags, even after the qa issue fix, would chip. They worked just fine though. Then my oem 75 mags starting causing feeding issues. Superficial reasons but some of the things cz does started to piss me off. Mag issues, finish issues, grip screws cross threaded from factory. Then when my sp01 chocked, I decided to take a break from cz.

They are great shooting guns. The p09 and sp01 were scary accurate.

However, if I had to pick between cz and Canik now, I’ll give Canik a try first. Their striker fired guns anyway. The hammer fired guns; the triggers I felt sucked. When I dry fired the striker fired guns; wow. Some of those are nice. For the money, I think a tp9 appears to be a good value. As dp commented, Turk guns get resistance, but ask a guy who owns a new production weatherby or Winchester shotgun what he thinks.
    If it goes bang and works reliably, I will use it.

smittyb

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Nov 12, 2009
    Cut N Shoot
    I think Grumper has the CZ and I have 2 Caniks. I like CZs and I like Caniks. I didn't want to pay 500 dollars for a name. The Canik has the best stock trigger I've ever fired out of a STOCK pistol. Anyone that says otherwise is either seriously biased or selling you something.

Have you ever shot a Walther PPQ?

smittyb

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Nov 12, 2009
    Cut N Shoot
    Yes, next question. I've fired as of 2019 about 300 different handguns. Mainly thanks to TGT. At the reunions Ive had the opportunity to fire at least 150 different handguns I never would have if not for the generous folks in this community.
    Well, I guess your pee pee is bigger than mine, and you have thoroughly asserted your dominance.
    Sorry for encroaching on your alpha territory, I will just run along with my tail between my legs now.

V-Tach

Watching While the Sheep Graze
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 30, 2012
    Texas
    Wasn't sure about the Canik....shot some of the customer's guns....pretty darn nice shooting pistols...none have had issues that I am aware of....

CZ's....rock solid.....

Sam7sf

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 13, 2018
    Texas
    I forgot one thing: finish. For those that do care about how the finish wears. I was very impressed with the p09’s slide and barrel finish.

Lonesome Dove

A man of vision but with no mission.
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 25, 2018
    Cut n Shoot, Texas
    I fell for the CZ hype and got an SP01. This was a heavy gun. Shot it a few outings and tried really hard to appreciate it. Even bought some real nice wood grips for it and some extra mags. Traded for two XD’s. Great trade! The Caniks are good guns.

zackmars

Free 1911 refinishing
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 4, 2015
    Texas
    While the ppqs trigger is arguably the best of any polymer striker, the overall size and recoil of the gun meant the more i shot, the less i shot the ppq. The extra recoil didn't bother me even after 5-600 rounds, but its there.

Its a great gun to dry fire, but at the end of the day, it did nothing immensely better than my glock, but did a few things worse. More complex, trigger was TOO nice, limited aftermarket, and reliability wasn't to write home about.

The enormous slide release also took some getting used to, and the grip was worthless if your hands were even slightly wet. Slide serrations were meh

It was quite accurate, and the rear sight attachment is ingenious

If i could go back, i wouldn't have bought it

GoPappy

Well-Known
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Dec 18, 2015
    While the ppqs trigger is arguably the best of any polymer striker, the overall size and recoil of the gun meant the more i shot, the less i shot the ppq. The extra recoil didn't bother me even after 5-600 rounds, but its there.

Its a great gun to dry fire, but at the end of the day, it did nothing immensely better than my glock, but did a few things worse. More complex, trigger was TOO nice, limited aftermarket, and reliability wasn't to write home about.

The enormous slide release also took some getting used to, and the grip was worthless if your hands were even slightly wet. Slide serrations were meh

It was quite accurate, and the rear sight attachment is ingenious

If i could go back, i wouldn't have bought it

I agree with this. I had a PPQ and sold it. Mine was the M1 model.

I've got a CZ SP-01 Tactical (the DA/SA version of the SP-01), and it's my favorite pistol. It's heavy, which means it has less perceived recoil than any of my plastic guns (even my PX4, which I LOVE). And it's extremely accurate. In short, it's just a pleasure to shoot.

Last edited:

TheMailMan

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 3, 2015
    North of Kaufman
    Are Caniks only made in 9mm?

Yep.

I've had my Canik TP9SFX for just about a year now.

It has the best out of the box trigger of any polymer gun I've shot. I put a Freedomsmith trigger in it and changed two trigger springs. Now I have a trigger that's better than some out of the box 1911 pistols. Almost no take up, light, crisp, and a scary short reset.

I've got a few thousand rounds through mine. I shoot it with a Vortex Venom. I prefer to have the battery on top where I can get to it. The damn thing shoots like a laser. Seriously, if you do your part it's shooting to the limits of the 6 MOA dot. I can put a hole in a target and hit the same hole repeatedly if I do my part.

20 round mags, what's not to like?

Shooting it in my club's defensive pistol matches I can often cover two shots with one paster.

I've shot the Walther. Meh, it's not that much better than the Canik. The Canik is a screaming bargain.

Darkpriest667

Actually Attends
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 13, 2017
    Jarrell TX, United States
    Well, I guess your pee pee is bigger than mine, and you have thoroughly asserted your dominance.
    Sorry for encroaching on your alpha territory, I will just run along with my tail between my legs now.

Nothing alpha or dominant about me. It's painfully obvious you don't go to meets. I was crediting the community with giving me the opportunity to shoot so many different firearms and you took it as a dig to you. If I was you I'd pull that stick out of your ass and smile.

ZX9RCAM

Over the Rainbow bridge...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    Yep.

I've had my Canik TP9SFX for just about a year now.

It has the best out of the box trigger of any polymer gun I've shot. I put a Freedomsmith trigger in it and changed two trigger springs. Now I have a trigger that's better than some out of the box 1911 pistols. Almost no take up, light, crisp, and a scary short reset.

I've got a few thousand rounds through mine. I shoot it with a Vortex Venom. I prefer to have the battery on top where I can get to it. The damn thing shoots like a laser. Seriously, if you do your part it's shooting to the limits of the 6 MOA dot. I can put a hole in a target and hit the same hole repeatedly if I do my part.

20 round mags, what's not to like?

Shooting it in my club's defensive pistol matches I can often cover two shots with one paster.

I've shot the Walther. Meh, it's not that much better than the Canik. The Canik is a screaming bargain.

Very informative post.

You rave about the Canik, and in the last paragraph state that the Walther is not that much better than the Canik.

TheMailMan

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 3, 2015
    North of Kaufman
    Very informative post.

You rave about the Canik, and in the last paragraph state that the Walther is not that much better than the Canik.

For the price. The Walther trigger left a lot to be desired and only holds 15 rounds.

Canik is $435 and Walther is $735. For that additional $300 you get less capacity and adjustable sights.

smittyb

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Nov 12, 2009
    Cut N Shoot
    Nothing alpha or dominant about me. It's painfully obvious you don't go to meets. I was crediting the community with giving me the opportunity to shoot so many different firearms and you took it as a dig to you. If I was you I'd pull that stick out of your ass and smile.
    Well,
    Yes, next question. I've fired as of 2019 about 300 different handguns.
    That’s a pompous ass reply if I’ve ever heard one.
    I really don’t see how me going to meets or not has anything to do with anything.

TundraWookiee

Scruffy Nerf Herder
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 9, 2012
    Cedar Park
    Well,

That’s a pompous ass reply if I’ve ever heard one.
    I really don’t see how me going to meets or not has anything to do with anything.
    I took it as he was just saying he has gotten a well rounded experience due to the generosity of the group but that's just my interpretation

Sent from one of those newfangled pocket computers using Tapatalk

Top Bottom