• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Medic218

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 27, 2010
    Little Elm
    The Stars have an open house(open practice) this weekend at the AAC and I was wondering if I could possibly carry to this event...
    I know about the pro sporting event prohibition so I'm leaning towards no but since it is just a practice and not an actual game I thought I'd get some more expert advice here.
    Does "pro sporting event" include practice sessions too?
    Thanks guys!
    tiphat.gif
    Hurley's Gold

West Texas

Well-Known
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 13, 2010
    Texas!
    The Stars have an open house(open practice) this weekend at the AAC and I was wondering if I could possibly carry to this event...
    I know about the pro sporting event prohibition so I'm leaning towards no but since it is just a practice and not an actual game I thought I'd get some more expert advice here.
    Does "pro sporting event" include practice sessions too?
    Thanks guys!
    tiphat.gif

Ok, go ahead...if they ask you about it, just tell them you are there to make practice more interesting by enforcing penalties in a whole new way...

by the way, I've got space in my safe for your firearms until you get the little "misunderstanding" worked out should this not be seen as a positive way to reinforce good habits on the ice...

Medic218

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 27, 2010
    Little Elm
    Ok, go ahead...if they ask you about it, just tell them you are there to make practice more interesting by enforcing penalties in a whole new way...

by the way, I've got space in my safe for your firearms until you get the little "misunderstanding" worked out should this not be seen as a positive way to reinforce good habits on the ice...
    hmmmmm.....i simple no would have worked
    lol

matefrio

ΔΕΞΑΙ
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2010
    Missouri, Texas Consulate HQ
    Does this meet the legal definition of a professional sporting event? I don't see that it does, but I'm not a lawyer. Note below that the sporting event must be taking place to apply so if no sporting events are taking place all the other laws apply such as proper 30.06 signs.

http://www.texasguntalk.com/forums/blogs/txinvestigator/14-basic-texas-weapons-laws-part-4.html

(2) on the premises where a high school, collegiate, or professional sporting event or interscholastic event is taking place, unless the license holder is a participant in the event and a handgun is used in the event;
    A professional sporting event is one in which the participants are paid for their participation. This includes your typical professional sports, NFL, NHL, NBA, MLB, etc, as well as NASCAR and some rodeo events.

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 17, 2010
    Austin
    The players have to go to the practice, and they are being paid to do so. Also, during these practices, don't the players separate into two teams and play a sort of shortened match?

We can all form opinions as to whether a practice falls under 46.035, but if you are made the only opinion that matters will be that of the LEO.

matefrio

ΔΕΞΑΙ
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2010
    Missouri, Texas Consulate HQ
    The players have to go to the practice, and they are being paid to do so. Also, during these practices, don't the players separate into two teams and play a sort of shortened match?

We can all form opinions as to whether a practice falls under 46.035, but if you are made the only opinion that matters will be that of the LEO.
    LEOs that are likely less informed than the folks here.

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    Does this meet the legal definition of a professional sporting event? I don't see that it does, but I'm not a lawyer. Note below that the sporting event must be taking place to apply so if no sporting events are taking place all the other laws apply such as proper 30.06 signs.

http://www.texasguntalk.com/forums/blogs/txinvestigator/14-basic-texas-weapons-laws-part-4.html

(2) on the premises where a high school, collegiate, or professional sporting event or interscholastic event is taking place, unless the license holder is a participant in the event and a handgun is used in the event;
    A professional sporting event is one in which the participants are paid for their participation. This includes your typical professional sports, NFL, NHL, NBA, MLB, etc, as well as NASCAR and some rodeo events.

Just for clarification, the phrase "A professional sporting event is one in which the participants are paid for their participation. This includes your typical professional sports, NFL, NHL, NBA, MLB, etc, as well as NASCAR and some rodeo events" does not appear in the law. ;)

texas_teacher

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 14, 2009
    South Korea
    Just for clarification, the phrase "A professional sporting event is one in which the participants are paid for their participation. This includes your typical professional sports, NFL, NHL, NBA, MLB, etc, as well as NASCAR and some rodeo events" does not appear in the law. ;)

Well yeah especially since instead of listing all of those acronyms and then listing "some rodeo events" wouldn't be the specificities that we know our laws to be clear with. Maybe listing such entities as the PBR, IPRA etc.

What about such things as the AHL, the MiLB, the MLS, etc? What about events such as professional monster truck "sporting events" and dirt track races?

If this was really a law and was going into specifics then they really dropped the ball, that's why it was vaguely obvious that it isn't the part of the law.

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    Well yeah especially since instead of listing all of those acronyms and then listing "some rodeo events" wouldn't be the specificities that we know our laws to be clear with. Maybe listing such entities as the PBR, IPRA etc.

What about such things as the AHL, the MiLB, the MLS, etc? What about events such as professional monster truck "sporting events" and dirt track races?

If this was really a law and was going into specifics then they really dropped the ball, that's why it was vaguely obvious that it isn't the part of the law.

The definition of professional sporting event is my main point. While I believe that is the accepted definition, it is not in stone. And since he took that statement directly fom my Blog, I believe my clarification is justified. http://www.texasguntalk.com/forums/blogs/txinvestigator/14-basic-texas-weapons-laws-part-4.html

;)

texas_teacher

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 14, 2009
    South Korea

smschulz

Paid for CUT
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 13, 2008
    Houston, Texas
    I guess it could be a point of debate whether a practice is an 'event' or not as oppossed to a public game.
    I would tend it most likely is but it is not entirely clear.
    Better to be safe than sorry.

texas_teacher

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 14, 2009
    South Korea
    Give it a try, but have a friend record it for U-tube.

I mean the entire conversation is a mute point because the only way anyone is going to notice you having a weapon is if you are printing, if you make a comment about it or you doing something else retarded prompting a patdown.

mdehoogh

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 23, 2009
    DFW
    I have seen metal detectors in use at the AAC before. I was at a Stars game last Feb/Mar and there were guards with wands waving over people as we came in. They weren't wanding everybody though.. seemed like it was mostly people with bags or big purses although none of the women in my group were 'scanned'

mtaylor

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 1, 2010
    Montgomery, Texas
    I guess it could be a point of debate whether a practice is an 'event' or not as oppossed to a public game.
    I would tend it most likely is but it is not entirely clear.
    Better to be safe than sorry.

Just because it is practice does not mean the participants are not paid to be there. It is a job like anything else. They are paid. It is an event. It is illegal to carry.

Of course, that's just my opinion.

OLDVET

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Richardson, Texas
    Give them a call and get their position on concealed carry.
    I know you can carry at the State Fair of Texas. A friend of mine teaches the Texas Concealed Handgun classes. He and his wife carry each time they go to the fair. They always get hassled at the gate. When this happens they request that a supervisor be called. My friend explains the Texas law to them and they are then allowed to enter with their weapons. One problem at the ACC is that alcohol is sold at their events. The ACC may fall under the same category as a bar.

Top Bottom