• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cowboy1

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 24, 2013
    You should never "try" to get money back. When you do, you are loaning the government money for zero interest. You would be better served to reduce your witholding and get as near to zero as possible. Invest the money you would have loaned out free.

Good point!
    Capitol Armory ad

1slow01Z71

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 24, 2012
    Kyle
    My wifes cousin gets back more than I do and I pay damn near as much in taxes as she grosses. But she is a deadbeat high school dropout working at a shitty job and has a kid. I on the other hand own my own home, have a wife who stays at home with our son so Ive got a decent amount of deductions too. Pisses me off to no end.

Hopefully this year will be good since Ill be able to claim two property tax payments on this years taxes and made just under the next tax bracket. If she still gets back more than me Im going to just cry about the raping Im receiving.

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    The bulk of the OP's return is not overpayment, most of the $3000 he is seeking comes from the Child Tax Credit and claiming Head of Household and such. Of the $1,800 he's getting back I would say maybe $200-$400 of that is actual overpayment. That comes out to be about $8 to $15 every two weeks. Personally, I'd take the few hundred at the end of the year rather then throwing in $15 every two weeks to a savings account, which charges about that much per month just to maintain.

I'm just a dumb ass, so pardon this question; how do you know? Have you examined his return?

Greg_TX

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 2, 2009
    Klein, TX
    You should never "try" to get money back. When you do, you are loaning the government money for zero interest. You would be better served to reduce your witholding and get as near to zero as possible. Invest the money you would have loaned out free.
    Banks pay shit for interest, so it really doesn't matter who has your money. If someone reduces their withholding and gets more in their paycheck, chances are pretty good that they'll spend it instead of save it (evaporation factor). CDs are only paying around .27% for one year and .87% for 5 years, so tying up your money in those won't gain you much. If you have an employer-sponsored 401k plan, then it makes sense to reduce your withholding and increase your 401k contribution by an offsetting amount. Any other investment ideas would either tie up your money for a period of time or expose you to short-term capital gains taxes.

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    Banks pay shit for interest, so it really doesn't matter who has your money. If someone reduces their withholding and gets more in their paycheck, chances are pretty good that they'll spend it instead of save it (evaporation factor). CDs are only paying around .27% for one year and .87% for 5 years, so tying up your money in those won't gain you much. If you have an employer-sponsored 401k plan, then it makes sense to reduce your withholding and increase your 401k contribution by an offsetting amount. Any other investment ideas would either tie up your money for a period of time or expose you to short-term capital gains taxes.

Are you suggesting giving it free to the government is the best option, then?

stdreb27

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 12, 2011
    Corpus christi
    You guys need to find an interest bearing checking account. Credit unions are offering around 3%.

I went from fighting 25 dollar fees every month with Wells Fargo (because their free checking was no longer free) to making almost 1000 bucks last year, with navy army ccu. Ing has a pretty good checking account too.

scap99

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2010
    Cypress
    You guys need to find an interest bearing checking account. Credit unions are offering around 3%.

I went from fighting 25 dollar fees every month with Wells Fargo (because their free checking was no longer free) to making almost 1000 bucks last year, with navy army ccu. Ing has a pretty good checking account too.

Doesn't hurt to have a financial planner in your corner, either.

deemus

my mama says I'm special
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    DFW

Bank of Texas has free checking too. Even for businesses.

scap99

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2010
    Cypress
    Last year the govt collected $4/100, this year they collect $6/100.

To go from $4 to $6 is a 50% increase for them. Wish I got 50% raises on demand at work.

deemus

my mama says I'm special
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    DFW
    Last year the govt collected $4/100, this year they collect $6/100.

To go from $4 to $6 is a 50% increase for them. Wish I got 50% raises on demand at work.

The SS tax was 4.2% of gross income on payroll taxes for the last two years. For 2013 its back to 6.2% of gross income. That's the main difference in paychecks that people are talking about. Your math at 50% is correct too, but its really a 2% increase in SS taxes. CPA nerd here. I do these taxes and prepare payroll reports.

TexasRedneck

1911 Nut
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    New Braunfels, TX
    Your math at 50% is correct too, but its really a 2% increase in SS taxes. CPA nerd here. I do these taxes and prepare payroll reports.

I'm a taxpayer, and when I see a tax line increase by 50%, I don't give a shit what the "percentage of gross income" it is, I see MY money going to some worthless POS too damned lazy to get a freakin' job, and their "free" cell phones.

Top Bottom